Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Group Of UK Basketball Fans Call For Smith's Resignation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A group of fans who are concerned about the direction of UK's basketball program were rejected Wednesday from purchasing a full page ad calling for the resignation of head coach Tubby Smith in a local newspaper.

The group is called Concerned Fans 4 UK. They are UK fans linked together by the internet. They have asked for Smith's resignation, but don't expect to get it. But, as part of their coming out party, they planned to purchase a full page ad in the Kentucky Kernal, the college newspaper.

Chris Moore, the general manager of the Kernal says it was a "business decision" not to run the ad that would cost $1,700.

Richard Cheeks, who graduated from and teaches at UK tried to place the ad in Thursday paper. What bothers Cheeks, outside of UK's decline under Smith, are the young UK fans. He doesn't believe that they understand the great tradition at UK, and says one of his main goals, through the internet, is to help educate them so they know there is more to UK basketball than just the Tubby Smith era. He wants them to know the traditions that go back to the 1940's.

I've said this all along...... The man needs to go
That would have been a nice waste of money. Tubby Smith is as good as it comes in coaching, but his recruiting has been more than questionable as of late. I'd like to see what he can get for the 07' class, and if that is less than great I say UK should probably look to other options...

I love Tubby as a coach and man, but I just wish he recruited better...
I had the type of players as of late that he has been after, he goes and gets a McDonalds All american and think they can leave after one year or two, but they will find out there not ready just yet.
Richard Cheeks, wow I would hate to have that name.
But remember a few years ago everyone was complaining due to him not getting the McDee's players said they would rather have one of them stay for a year or two than a player down one level that would stay for the entire 4 years.

This also shows how much Mr. Cheeks knows about basketball all around. You couldn't lose a college coach at a worse time than right now. If he was going to do this he should have done it right after the season ended almost three months ago.
Batpuff Wrote:A group of fans who are concerned about the direction of UK's basketball program were rejected Wednesday from purchasing a full page ad calling for the resignation of head coach Tubby Smith in a local newspaper.

The group is called Concerned Fans 4 UK. They are UK fans linked together by the internet. They have asked for Smith's resignation, but don't expect to get it. But, as part of their coming out party, they planned to purchase a full page ad in the Kentucky Kernal, the college newspaper.

Chris Moore, the general manager of the Kernal says it was a "business decision" not to run the ad that would cost $1,700.

Richard Cheeks, who graduated from and teaches at UK tried to place the ad in Thursday paper. What bothers Cheeks, outside of UK's decline under Smith, are the young UK fans. He doesn't believe that they understand the great tradition at UK, and says one of his main goals, through the internet, is to help educate them so they know there is more to UK basketball than just the Tubby Smith era. He wants them to know the traditions that go back to the 1940's.

The Kernel is nothing more than PR for the university. It's awful journalism, pumped full of "pro UK." A majority of the time they either refuse or cannot just flat give a game report, but try to "butter" it up. That's mostly the reason I would not and will not write for them...
FreakNasty Wrote:The Kernel is nothing more than PR for the university. It's awful journalism, pumped full of "pro UK." A majority of the time they either refuse or cannot just flat give a game report, but try to "butter" it up. That's mostly the reason I would not and will not write for them...

I dont know man, Chris Johnson wrote several Anti-Tubby editorials and articles this past season. Not to mention he bashed some of the players on more than one occasion.
alfus21 Wrote:I dont know man, Chris Johnson wrote several Anti-Tubby editorials and articles this past season. Not to mention he bashed some of the players on more than one occasion.

I actually like Johnson's writing, but speaking as a whole, (mostly news actually), the Kernel is a daily UK PR flyer. Derek Poore (I think that's his name), did a decent job during the football season as well, but at times he wasn't critical enough in my estimation (and I love UK football.. Smile ) Sports is not nearly as bad as the opinion section, which I skip on a regular basis during the school year...

When I took Jou 101 in the fall, the editor in chief stopped in and was talking about how they mostly get their news story ideas and sure enough it was from the UK relations department. There are always writers who will take the leap and write what they feel (and I have tremedous amounts of respect for that), but I think the university takes advantage of some of the ones who are just writing to have something to do.
I think he needs to go, I have herd rumors that Mike Davis was going to come and take Tubbys job
crist i hop not. he has already done in indiana
we need billy boy or john pelphrey
I'll probabily be critized about this, but the only thing I can say about those fans who call for his resigination is to get a life LOSERS...jmo

Tubby is a good coach get over it, no matter who coaches at UK
(besides Pitino) will be critized..Get over it.
Battle Tested Wrote:we need billy boy or john pelphrey
somthing a little more up tempo to say the least:rockon:
[QUOTE=Moe]I'll probabily be critized about this, but the only thing I can say about those fans who call for his resigination is to get a life LOSERS...jmo

Tubby is a good coach get over it, no matter who coaches at UK
(besides Pitino) will be critized..Get over it.[/QUOTE
you must like to sleep during uk games. i dont think you have been keeping up with the situation
tubby is good ill give you that but it would be nice for a breath of fresh air.
and if he was so good why has the nba not been calling:dontthink
Tubby is a good coach, but he is in a win or else job and he has not been winning when it counts lately, and that is why all the heat is on him now.
Battle Tested Wrote:we need billy boy or john pelphrey
I agree, if we do change coaches, they would be good coaches to persue.
NYY10 Wrote:I think he needs to go, I have herd rumors that Mike Davis was going to come and take Tubbys job

omg if he takes over UK would never be the same
Quote:you must like to sleep during uk games. i dont think you have been keeping up with the situation
tubby is good ill give you that but it would be nice for a breath of fresh air.
and if he was so good why has the nba not been calling:dontthink
I see your point, but that was JMO on the whole situation.:thumpsup:
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I agree, if we do change coaches, they would be good coaches to persue.
Those would be 2 good choices if Tubby did go.Confusedhh:
yes it would..I like Few.The Zags coach@!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:yes it would..I like Few.The Zags [email=coach@!]coach@![/email]

If he goes anywhere, it'll be on the left coast. I dont see him coming east...
Thank you FreakNasty..Does he have a record deal with Death Row or something?????? I mean, why do you say that? Has he said that he wants to stay on the West Coast? I am sure he would leave Gonzaga for U.K....!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Thank you FreakNasty..Does he have a record deal with Death Row or something?????? I mean, why do you say that? Has he said that he wants to stay on the West Coast? I am sure he would leave Gonzaga for U.K....!

Trust me, Mark Few would be the best thing to happen to UK in a long time, but I dont see him leaving his recruiting base (almost all his players come from Colorado-west), plus he has it great at Gonzaga, minimal worries from the fan base (low expectations from Adminstration). He was offered the Indiana job and turned it down very quickly, he has also been offered several other jobs in the east and has turned those down. And yes, Few is signed with Shug Knight for 3 more years, let's hope he doesn't get into any brawls in Vegas.....

And in all honesty, I dont think UK (much like the IU job he turned down) is as attractive of a job as it was ten years ago....
I agree. I do think he needs to get involved more in the recruiting. His assistants aren't giving him much help.

alfus21 Wrote:That would have been a nice waste of money. Tubby Smith is as good as it comes in coaching, but his recruiting has been more than questionable as of late. I'd like to see what he can get for the 07' class, and if that is less than great I say UK should probably look to other options...

I love Tubby as a coach and man, but I just wish he recruited better...