Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 13th.region boys basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i`ve watched a lot of games in the 13th.this year, the level of play is down in my opinion, whats everyone`s thoughts? we havent won a game in the sweet 16 since 07.
As far as team ball the talent is way down. The 13th region has an some deep talent at point guard with McDaniel, Fox, Brewer, Barger and Carson. Clay County and Harlan have enough talent to go down to state and compete but they are both having team issues. Going to be an awfully interesting course of events in the upcoming months.
The 13th region has been down since the 90's.
It amazes me how much difference there is in players of today and players of 10-15 years ago.
I've not seen much of a change in individual talent. The Clay County teams of the 80s were a combination of talent, unbelievable coaching and kids putting their heart and soul into the game.
some of the teams i`ve watched dont ever run set plays on offense.just run down the floor and jack up threes, or try to score easy baskets off turnovers.i guess im old school but if i had a 6ft 8in kid , id have plays drawn up for him to touch the ball in the post.i think there`s still talent here, just wasted.
I've got a feeling the 13th won't make it far in the Sweet 16 this year. Whoever it is.
Decent teams in 13th but no exceptional teams. We may need to stop the Canadians before they turn off I75 if we are going to play with the 14th.
Haven't seen a team that can legitimately compete in the state this year. Talent is way down, as well as coaching. Might be awhile before we see another team fromt the 13th make some noise in the state tournament. This is about the worst that I can remember it being.
E's Army Wrote:Decent teams in 13th but no exceptional teams. We may need to stop the Canadians before they turn off I75 if we are going to play with the 14th.

Now E, you know we dont have the money, nor the judges to do that here.
I made the point a couple months back that there are hardly any players in the 13th that are from other parts of the country or even state for that matter. Some transfers within the region but most where from the area to begin with. People may lose their minds and think I'm being biased but to me, Chip McDaniel is the only player that will have a shot at a Mr. Basketball title. If Clay County doesn't do something in the next 2 seasons, he could average 30 ppg and may have to just to win the district. North Laurel has some big kids but they're weak. Marty Bowling is 6'3" and in the top like 7 in the state in rebounding. It's scary times in the area of the Gap. McDaniel, Fox, Barger, who else? Underclassmen?
13th is as weak as i've seen it in 25 years. IMO there is not one player that can play on NAIA level and be a starter.
redstorm Wrote:13th is as weak as i've seen it in 25 years. IMO there is not one player that can play on NAIA level and be a starter.

I agree 100%....but....they have been told by parents and other that they are going Div I. Play for the love , but don't drink the koolaid.
Leave recruiting to college coaches. Parents/AAU coaches need to let kids have fun and play the game. There are very few players in the state that can play at the next level. Play for pride. And as far as you guys downplaying the individual talent, I'll have to disagree. There are a couple great players in the 13th and probably 10 really good players.
i cant see us winning a game at rupp.pulaski co comes in to corbin and wins by 25, harlan co. gets beat buy double digets to hazard in the mountain classic.then hazard gets thumped the next game in the classic,i do know there are kids in school at south that would help the program, just don`t want to play.
It's hard to compare this season. I mean for the last couple years the 14th region has been pretty dominate in the mountains and even the 12th region has come along. The 13th region just doesn't have any size. I mean, I would venture to say that the average height of each starting center be no where over 6'4-5". And that's getting a lot of help from North Laurel. There is no shortage on a good point guards. As for playing at the next level, it's hard to say when 3 out of your top 5 players in my opinion are not even juniors.
It goes in cycles.
Clay dominated the region in the 70s but usually lost in the first round.
The region was very, very strong in the mid 80s (Richie Farmer, Nick Sanford, Lawrence Buell etc.) and again in the mid 90s.
The glory days of the 80's and 90's are over, but I do not believe size is the issue. Just look at some of those great Clay co. teams. Most of those kids was 6'0 to 6'1 at best.
Like HDE said it is a cycle. It will come back around soon.
UKCC Wrote:I made the point a couple months back that there are hardly any players in the 13th that are from other parts of the country or even state for that matter. Some transfers within the region but most where from the area to begin with. People may lose their minds and think I'm being biased but to me, Chip McDaniel is the only player that will have a shot at a Mr. Basketball title. If Clay County doesn't do something in the next 2 seasons, he could average 30 ppg and may have to just to win the district. North Laurel has some big kids but they're weak. Marty Bowling is 6'3" and in the top like 7 in the state in rebounding. It's scary times in the area of the Gap. McDaniel, Fox, Barger, who else? Underclassmen?
I'm willing to bet that McDaniel will not waste his time even playing next year, as everyone knows we will be way down after this year. Kid has a bright future in golf, but there's not one player in the 13th that should be considered for Mr. Basketball, now or probably ever in the near future. It's really sad considering how bad it has dropped off.
Iceman - Good point but McDaniel will play for his entire career. No doubts.
Iceman there's a better chance of OBI winning the region this year than McDaniel quitting. Kid loves the game. He doesn't get to show his true talent in the 13th region whereas he would at a school like Lex Catholic, Scott Co where he would have good teammates around him. 13th is showing it is definitely weak and mainly inconsistent this year.
I'm sure McDaniel works more on his golf game than basketball but it's obvious he has plenty of natural ability on the hardwood. I don't blame him for concentrating on golf as it's definitely the smartest decision for his future. As Bobby Keith would say, "you're only as strong as your weakest link" and that is the problem for Clay.