Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County - 58 North Laurel - 52
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Got to hand it to the Jaguars for making a late run after the Tigers were up by 20 at one point in the second half.
Jaguars didn't quit. Clay played a sloppy, C game. Clay is the better team they just need their boys to mesh better. Glad to see some good things out of Reed tonight.
Congrats to TIGERS[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR] on District win! Glad to hear Reed is back.
Reed had 12 and if I'm not mistaking, he is battling some family issues as well as coming off an injury. Good game for him.
Tigers need to learn how to control the tempo better in the 4th quarter. North controlled the tempo of the game but just couldn't score. Heck of a rebounding performance by Marty Bowling who outplayed both Rush and Allen despite giving up 4-5 inches and 40-50 lbs. A nice game by Rice other than a couple bad decisions late.
Clay has too many guys taking wild shots at bad times. Overall, still a good win. The bald headed ref (Ealy??) was horrible to Clay late in the game.
Unless Clay develops another decent ball handler in the next 6 weeks, they'll continue to not be able to control the tempo and lose leads late in the game.
Will this win, put Jackson and North playing in the district?
FIRST - I believe that is the way it will be. Unless the Jackson/Clay game in the next few weeks would change that outcome any.
Nedreader. I agree. Both Smiths, Travis and Blake handle it well but Reed and Rice took some bad shots late. North doubled McDaniel to make him get rid of the ball and once he did he would never get it back because of turnovers, bad shots. Coach Marcum needs to spend a lot of time on late game situations.
If Jackson Co beats North Laurel and Clay Co. both at home then Jackson Co. will be the 1 seed. That will put Clay playing North in 1st round of district. If Jackson Co. loses either of those games then Jackson Co will play North Laurel in 1st round. Either way a very good team is not making region.
I think Jackson Co. will win both games and get the 1 seed. The Clay Co-North Laurel game in 1st round will be a war.
Clay will give Jackson all they want.
Clay will beat Jackson and North by 15-20 if they get things together on any floor. I think North will beat Jackson and it should be a good matchup of
Jackson and North again in the district which is at Jackson.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Clay will beat Jackson and North by 15-20 if they get things together on any floor. I think North will beat Jackson and it should be a good matchup of
Jackson and North again in the district which is at Jackson.

LOL, We'll see.........
Clay beat North by 15 at home and by 6 at North playing a very weak game. They were up by 18 at one point. JC gave Clay its best shot, while Clay played a terrible game until we took over the 4th quarter. JC is a harder matchup as Clay doesn't guard the 3 well. And yes we will see. If Clay keeps playing below their potential then North and Jackson can beat them.
Robert Marcum has decided, if a team is going to beat him they'll have to hit the 3. Jackson does that better than North, a la the closer game of the 3 so far. Clay County had Perry Central down in the Classic the entire way until they finally got some stuff going inside. Besides Kendrick Henson's few last night, North Laurel was terrible from outside the arc.
North watched PCC double McDaniel at the end of the PCC/Clay game at the WYMT. North obviously did the same thing late in the game with Clay. A good coach will use that tactic much earlier in the game come tournament time. Clay better make adjustments 'cause it's coming...
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Nedreader. I agree. Both Smiths, Travis and Blake handle it well but Reed and Rice took some bad shots late. North doubled McDaniel to make him get rid of the ball and once he did he would never get it back because of turnovers, bad shots. Coach Marcum needs to spend a lot of time on late game situations.

Clay's ball handlers struggled mightily with North's pressure in the JV game. This could be a reason why the staff didn't give a few of those guys more playing time late in the game...when ball handling and freethrow shooting are
paramount.
I agree guys. McDaniel has seen everyone's best defense all year. Its not going to be easy for him or the Tigers. They need Reed to step up as a senior and both Smiths to be able to at least come in and handle the ball some. Hopefully Coach Marcum will realize this.
Definitely, agree 100%. Blake Smith has a bright future but just as bright as that may be, I'm afraid the lights at The Arena may be also, only a freshman. Reed has to become himself again. 12-14 ppg. The scary part is, I watched McDaniel pass it to guys the other night and they just fumble it and lose the ball. It's not like he CAN'T handle it, he just needs his guys to step up. I know, "his guys"? Just a sophomore folks.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Clay's ball handlers struggled mightily with North's pressure in the JV game. This could be a reason why the staff didn't give a few of those guys more playing time late in the game...when ball handling and freethrow shooting are
paramount.

One of the Clay fans said earlier that Clay had the best young backcourt in the mountains. Did North win the JV game?
Jackson Co, can't beat Pineville, they sure not going to beat North or Clay this late in the season. Jackson was hands down the best team in All A, but cant win it. Not going to win district
HDE: North won the JV game by 8-10. I think this was part of the reason Marcum benched the 2 freshman in the varsity game. They have the ability to dominate at the JV level but haven't consistently shown it. Clay has McDaniel along with Wolfe, Blake Smith and Trevor Sams. The question in the future for Clay will be size.
District time will be interesting.
HDE - As for your comment, our best player is a sophomore at point guard. That's pretty obvious what someone from Clay County would mean by that. Smith and Wolfe are just finding their way, neither played varsity as 8th graders like most people do.
I agree with Eku Bubba w that Clays future is loaded with guards and no size.As for Clays future just heard 8th grade fell to 1-16 on the season.
It's 1-15 for the 8th grade Smile, however 2 8th graders start on the JV team and are not playing with the middle school. That's why the record is like it is.
Yea, and their big man quit. Can't judge anything off middle school anymore. If that's the case, lock up Southwestern for a few state titles.
I agree, who cares how good a kid or team is in middle school. That does not show how good they will be at the high school level.
Pages: 1 2