Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tommy Tuberville angers recruits, families and powerful Ohio HS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tommy Tuberville left Texas Tech under a cloud after several prospects reported that he left them in the middle of a recruiting dinner and never returned, ostensibly to speak with Cincinnati about becoming the Bearcats' next coach.

It seems like the cloud has followed Tuberville to Cincinnati, where his first month on the job has been defined by a bitter argument over scholarships, scholarships rescinded and his relationship with powerful area high school coaches.

STILL NO. 1: Notre Dame still tops one BCS ranking
While it's common – but still painful – that a new coach fails to honor the scholarships handed out by his predecessor, the way Tuberville and his staff have gone about doing so has angered prospects, families and coaches, perhaps serving as a slight harbinger of doom as Tuberville attempts to fill out his first recruiting class with the Bearcats.

On Thursday, cornerback recruit Demetrius Monday told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he was de-committing from Cincinnati after never hearing from Tuberville. Said Monday's father, Bryant, "I think it's messed up. You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.

QUICK EXIT: Tuberville reportedly leaves recruits at dinner
"Now we're left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out… It's really disappointing."
As Matt Hinton of CBSSports.com notes, another former Cincinnati verbal commit, Jaleel Canty, called Cincinnati himself after not hearing from the new staff. Said Canty:
[INDENT]
Quote:"They said they were bringing in their own guys, so all the guys that are committed are out luck. It's messed up. I've been committed to Cincinnati since July, and I kind of cut off communication with other schools. I don't understand why [Tuberville] couldn't tell us a month ago. We're less than a month away from signing day now. And I don't understand why we had to call them. Why couldn't they call us and tell us a month ago? It's really disappointing."
[/INDENT]

While anger in these situations is the only logical response, burning bridges with players like Monday and Canty is survivable, in a sense – while both are talented players, it's possible that Tuberville and the staff find equally solid players to fill their spots before February's signing day.
But angering an entire high school, especially one as powerful in the state of Ohio as Massillon High School? That's bad for business, and could be a major issue for Cincinnati down the road… especially since Massillon's coach, Jason Hall, has declared his school off-limits to Cincinnati as long as he's running its football program.

CINCINNATI: Hired Tuberville away from Texas Tech in December
Hall was upset over how Tuberville treated quarterback prospect Kyle Kempt, who committed to Cincinnati and then-coach Butch Jones over offers from West Virginia and Tennessee. After allegedly pulling Kempt's scholarship this late in the recruiting process, Tuberville is no longer welcome at Massillon:

"It was an ugly situation," Hall told FridayNightOhio.com. "I think they thought he was going to go to Tennessee with Butch Jones and they offered another quarterback. But that wasn't the case. Cincinnati will not be allowed back in Massillon on our campus as long as Jason Hall is in Massillon."

How big a deal is that? Massillon not only houses one of the best teams in Ohio, but also produces as much talent as any school in this talent-rich state. Not being able to get into the door could have a profoundly negative impact on Cincinnati throughout Tuberville's tenure.

So, in summation, Tuberville's had a bad few weeks.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/201...l/1827553/
Strikeout King Wrote:Tommy Tuberville left Texas Tech under a cloud after several prospects reported that he left them in the middle of a recruiting dinner and never returned, ostensibly to speak with Cincinnati about becoming the Bearcats' next coach.

It seems like the cloud has followed Tuberville to Cincinnati, where his first month on the job has been defined by a bitter argument over scholarships, scholarships rescinded and his relationship with powerful area high school coaches.

STILL NO. 1: Notre Dame still tops one BCS ranking
While it's common – but still painful – that a new coach fails to honor the scholarships handed out by his predecessor, the way Tuberville and his staff have gone about doing so has angered prospects, families and coaches, perhaps serving as a slight harbinger of doom as Tuberville attempts to fill out his first recruiting class with the Bearcats.

On Thursday, cornerback recruit Demetrius Monday told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he was de-committing from Cincinnati after never hearing from Tuberville. Said Monday's father, Bryant, "I think it's messed up. You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.

QUICK EXIT: Tuberville reportedly leaves recruits at dinner
"Now we're left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out… It's really disappointing."
As Matt Hinton of CBSSports.com notes, another former Cincinnati verbal commit, Jaleel Canty, called Cincinnati himself after not hearing from the new staff. Said Canty:
While anger in these situations is the only logical response, burning bridges with players like Monday and Canty is survivable, in a sense – while both are talented players, it's possible that Tuberville and the staff find equally solid players to fill their spots before February's signing day.
But angering an entire high school, especially one as powerful in the state of Ohio as Massillon High School? That's bad for business, and could be a major issue for Cincinnati down the road… especially since Massillon's coach, Jason Hall, has declared his school off-limits to Cincinnati as long as he's running its football program.

CINCINNATI: Hired Tuberville away from Texas Tech in December
Hall was upset over how Tuberville treated quarterback prospect Kyle Kempt, who committed to Cincinnati and then-coach Butch Jones over offers from West Virginia and Tennessee. After allegedly pulling Kempt's scholarship this late in the recruiting process, Tuberville is no longer welcome at Massillon:

"It was an ugly situation," Hall told FridayNightOhio.com. "I think they thought he was going to go to Tennessee with Butch Jones and they offered another quarterback. But that wasn't the case. Cincinnati will not be allowed back in Massillon on our campus as long as Jason Hall is in Massillon."

How big a deal is that? Massillon not only houses one of the best teams in Ohio, but also produces as much talent as any school in this talent-rich state. Not being able to get into the door could have a profoundly negative impact on Cincinnati throughout Tuberville's tenure.

So, in summation, Tuberville's had a bad few weeks.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/201...l/1827553/

Not good for Tommy, he's awoke a sleeping giant. Paul Brown & his family are prominent people in the state, from Cincy to Cleveland. Paul Brown built the football program, in Cincy helped the legacy in Cleveland, left his mark at Ohio State but originally built.....you guessed it Massillon football program. He's the father of football in Ohio, he's got a NFL stadium & a high school field named after him at Massillon.
Does this help Kentucky's chances with top Ohio recruits?
Strikeout King Wrote:Does this help Kentucky's chances with top Ohio recruits?

I don't see it being of that much benefit now, but maybe in the future. I can see it maybe helping with Aregeros Turner, whom I feel UK was already in good shape with. The only other I see UK being interested & involved with now is LB Rasheen Jones, a hometown kid from Northwest already holds an offer from UK.
Strikeout King Wrote:Does this help Kentucky's chances with top Ohio recruits?

I think there is a small possibility of snagging some of these kids who de-committed. Wouldn't hurt for Stoops to try.
How many more recruits can he have?
The Blue Blur Wrote:Not good for Tommy, he's awoke a sleeping giant. Paul Brown & his family are prominent people in the state, from Cincy to Cleveland. Paul Brown built the football program, in Cincy helped the legacy in Cleveland, left his mark at Ohio State but originally built.....you guessed it Massillon football program. He's the father of football in Ohio, he's got a NFL stadium & a high school field named after him at Massillon.

First off, hats off Bur to you and SO King for consolidating your blog networks and attentiveness to hs football east of the miss. river with the help of so many other sources :Thumbs:...

Transitions in coaching are a part of the college recruiting process. What happened to the Massillon recruit is simply a by product of the transition. So the hs hc is sour grapes over the transition. Get over it and be reasonable...your hs qb doesn't fit the mold of the the new coach. If anything else the Massillon coach is hurting future opportunities for his players because of his lack of reason.

The Massillon coach would be more upset if his qb came to UC and sat the bench for 5 yrs and was a meat squad dummy on special teams. If his qb is that good he should be receiving offers from other Div. 1 programs. Remember he was a Butch Jones choice....take it up with Butch Jones not Tuberville. Wonder why UT hasn't offered, or have they???

On a second note, Paul Brown, God rest his soul, is no longer with us. And his son Mike is more concerned with making $$$ for him and his family hamstringing the Bengal organization. Please don't attempt to make a bonfire out of a matchbox. Massillon HC is way out of line here and if there's a beef it should be with Butch Jones at UT...again, if that good UT should have offerred.

Tuberville has reached out to all of Butch Jones recruits and explained his position and direction for his squad moving forward per local sports talk radio in Cincinnati. Individual names per NCAA recruiting rules cannot be mentioned.

So has Jones offerred this Massillon qb?
Spirit100 Wrote:First off, hats off Bur to you and SO King for consolidating your blog networks and attentiveness to hs football east of the miss. river with the help of so many other sources :Thumbs:...

Transitions in coaching are a part of the college recruiting process. What happened to the Massillon recruit is simply a by product of the transition. So the hs hc is sour grapes over the transition. Get over it and be reasonable...your hs qb doesn't fit the mold of the the new coach. If anything else the Massillon coach is hurting future opportunities for his players because of his lack of reason.

The Massillon coach would be more upset if his qb came to UC and sat the bench for 5 yrs and was a meat squad dummy on special teams. If his qb is that good he should be receiving offers from other Div. 1 programs. Remember he was a Butch Jones choice....take it up with Butch Jones not Tuberville. Wonder why UT hasn't offered, or have they???

On a second note, Paul Brown, God rest his soul, is no longer with us. And his son Mike is more concerned with making $$$ for him and his family hamstringing the Bengal organization. Please don't attempt to make a bonfire out of a matchbox. Massillon HC is way out of line here and if there's a beef it should be with Butch Jones at UT...again, if that good UT should have offerred.

Tuberville has reached out to all of Butch Jones recruits and explained his position and direction for his squad moving forward per local sports talk radio in Cincinnati. Individual names per NCAA recruiting rules cannot be mentioned.

So has Jones offerred this Massillon qb?

First off, I'll take your first comments as a compliment but no need to thank me or SO King. We just love UK football & are excited for it for the first time in a long time. Glad to see some many people involved in the discussion & being excited as well. I also think a big thanks needs to be sent in the direction of LeeCoUKFan for posting rivals' articles. He's obviously a paying member willing to sacrifice to share with us.

While I agree that the aforementioned situation at Massillon is a by product of a transitional phase, it is also the responsibility of the new coach to let the recruits know where they stand. Since the dinner in which he abandoned at Texas Tech, it is my understanding he's done none of that. From what I gather, unless you decommitted from UC personally you were not known of your standing at UC. Many commits thought they still had their offer in good standing from UC. While a commit had to wonder, one would expect a call from the coach. He didn't call them & they only found out if they called the football office at UC.

As far as Kempt's situation, & where the Massillon coach. I understand where he's coming from. Tubberville didn't reach out to let the recruits know if they still had an offer or not. Look at Stoops, he had no problem reaching out to Jevontay Smith or Jalen Battle to let them know their scholarship was no longer available so that they could move on with the process & open their recruitment back up. Tubberville didn't do that, he just assumed they know he no longer wanted them. According to Rivals.com, Kempt still has an offer from Tennessee but I don't know if it's from Butch Jones or Dooley. You can't really fault Jones, for leaving for UT. He's done well everywhere he's been, & when the opportunity for advancement opened he took it. If you could be the CEO of your company one day, you going to turn down the opportunity to advance in your company from being a regular employee to a supervisor. You going to take it??? Of course you would. It's not Jones fault, he has better opportunities at UT & the chance to recruit better players.

As for the Brown's I agree they are all about the money. But their father has a field named in his honor in Massillon. He helped Modell build legacy in Cleveland. He left his mark at OSU. He built football in Cincinnati. The vessels he built throughout the state when coaching, those relationships are still there with his family. Despite his being dead & gone, it still has the ripple effect throughout the state. Massillon is a state power, & has Brown's name written all over it.
One thing you don't want to do is make a school mad at you.
The Blue Blur Wrote:First off, I'll take your first comments as a compliment but no need to thank me or SO King. We just love UK football & are excited for it for the first time in a long time. Glad to see some many people involved in the discussion & being excited as well. I also think a big thanks needs to be sent in the direction of LeeCoUKFan for posting rivals' articles. He's obviously a paying member willing to sacrifice to share with us.

While I agree that the aforementioned situation at Massillon is a by product of a transitional phase, it is also the responsibility of the new coach to let the recruits know where they stand. Since the dinner in which he abandoned at Texas Tech, it is my understanding he's done none of that. From what I gather, unless you decommitted from UC personally you were not known of your standing at UC. Many commits thought they still had their offer in good standing from UC. While a commit had to wonder, one would expect a call from the coach. He didn't call them & they only found out if they called the football office at UC.

As far as Kempt's situation, & where the Massillon coach. I understand where he's coming from. Tubberville didn't reach out to let the recruits know if they still had an offer or not. Look at Stoops, he had no problem reaching out to Jevontay Smith or Jalen Battle to let them know their scholarship was no longer available so that they could move on with the process & open their recruitment back up. Tubberville didn't do that, he just assumed they know he no longer wanted them. According to Rivals.com, Kempt still has an offer from Tennessee but I don't know if it's from Butch Jones or Dooley. You can't really fault Jones, for leaving for UT. He's done well everywhere he's been, & when the opportunity for advancement opened he took it. If you could be the CEO of your company one day, you going to turn down the opportunity to advance in your company from being a regular employee to a supervisor. You going to take it??? Of course you would. It's not Jones fault, he has better opportunities at UT & the chance to recruit better players.

As for the Brown's I agree they are all about the money. But their father has a field named in his honor in Massillon. He helped Modell build legacy in Cleveland. He left his mark at OSU. He built football in Cincinnati. The vessels he built throughout the state when coaching, those relationships are still there with his family. Despite his being dead & gone, it still has the ripple effect throughout the state. Massillon is a state power, & has Brown's name written all over it.

Let's shed more light on this concept. Should the resonsibility fall on the the recruiting HC ( now departed ) or the newly hired HC? The pipeline and relationship was built with the departing HC...in this case, Butch Jones.

As a recruit I'm more concerned with Butch Jones perspective on my future college success than Tuberville. He doesn't know me from Adam coming from Texas Tech and recruiting the south and southeast. Common courtesy says Jones reaches out and says...come with me I'm going to UT.

On the other side of the coin Tuberville is recruiting players for his new team. If it were my son I would have placed a call to Jones first...not Tuberville. Again the relationship was built with Jones and his staff, not Tuberville.

I also understand smear tactics have unforseen value in the process. As an objective fan of many colleges in the tri-state...UK and OSU would like nothing more than give Tuberville a recruiting black eye in Cincinnati. And I know OSU isn't happy a Tuberville is in their backyard to the southwest.

There's also a chance UC joins the BIG10 in the near future...you didn't hear that from me :biggrin:.

How's that guy at WKU doing recruiting wise?
Spirit100 Wrote:Let's shed more light on this concept. Should the resonsibility fall on the the recruiting HC ( now departed ) or the newly hired HC? The pipeline and relationship was built with the departing HC...in this case, Butch Jones.

As a recruit I'm more concerned with Butch Jones perspective on my future college success than Tuberville. He doesn't know me from Adam coming from Texas Tech and recruiting the south and southeast. Common courtesy says Jones reaches out and says...come with me I'm going to UT.

On the other side of the coin Tuberville is recruiting players for his new team. If it were my son I would have placed a call to Jones first...not Tuberville. Again the relationship was built with Jones and his staff, not Tuberville.

I also understand smear tactics have unforseen value in the process. As an objective fan of many colleges in the tri-state...UK and OSU would like nothing more than give Tuberville a recruiting black eye in Cincinnati. And I know OSU isn't happy a Tuberville is in their backyard to the southwest.

There's also a chance UC joins the BIG10 in the near future...you didn't hear that from me :biggrin:.

How's that guy at WKU doing recruiting wise?

Truth of the fact is why would Butch Jones be concerned with the kids committed to Cincinnati?? Butch Jones moved up, he went from a Big East school to an SEC school. The kids he recruited at UC pale in comparison to those he can recruit at UT. A new coach's responsibility, is to come in re-evaluate the current commits & let them know where they stand. I'm sure Butch Jones done that at UT, Stoops done it at UK. Tuberville did not. Tuberville came in cleaned house but didn't let anyone know. Then you start evaluating what kids you need & could use. Then you look at the ones you already have connections with to see if you could use or need them. That's when Jones knowing his commits at UC comes into play.

As a kid being recruited & committed to a particular school, my first concern with a coaching change is what's the new coach like, do I fit there now, & do they even want me. Not where the old coach is going & does he want me. If he comes to me or I take it upon myself to contact him & the relationship continues then so be it. But #1 is to find out if I'm still wanted where I'm committed. If you get a new boss at work, are you more concerned with what your old boss is doing or what the new boss is expecting?? I know the obvious answer.

Yes the relationship was built with the old boss or coach but you're committed to play or work, where you're committed. Until that bond to the school as been cleared & broken, you wouldn't worry about Jones at UT.

Petrino has signed 1 3 star, two 2 stars, & 2 no stars from the JUCO pool. He also has commitments from 2 3 stars & 12 2 stars as well as a no star commitment from a JUCO player. It is also rumored that 2 star DT Rapheal Cox, who is/was tabbed to visit UK this weekend flipped his commitment to WKU from New Mexico.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Truth of the fact is why would Butch Jones be concerned with the kids committed to Cincinnati?? Butch Jones moved up, he went from a Big East school to an SEC school. The kids he recruited at UC pale in comparison to those he can recruit at UT. A new coach's responsibility, is to come in re-evaluate the current commits & let them know where they stand. I'm sure Butch Jones done that at UT, Stoops done it at UK. Tuberville did not. Tuberville came in cleaned house but didn't let anyone know. Then you start evaluating what kids you need & could use. Then you look at the ones you already have connections with to see if you could use or need them. That's when Jones knowing his commits at UC comes into play.

As a kid being recruited & committed to a particular school, my first concern with a coaching change is what's the new coach like, do I fit there now, & do they even want me. Not where the old coach is going & does he want me. If he comes to me or I take it upon myself to contact him & the relationship continues then so be it. But #1 is to find out if I'm still wanted where I'm committed. If you get a new boss at work, are you more concerned with what your old boss is doing or what the new boss is expecting?? I know the obvious answer. Yes the relationship was built with the old boss or coach but you're committed to play or work, where you're committed. Until that bond to the school as been cleared & broken, you wouldn't worry about Jones at UT.

Petrino has signed 1 3 star, two 2 stars, & 2 no stars from the JUCO pool. He also has commitments from 2 3 stars & 12 2 stars as well as a no star commitment from a JUCO player. It is also rumored that 2 star DT Rapheal Cox, who is/was tabbed to visit UK this weekend flipped his commitment to WKU from New Mexico.

You just made my point Blur. I ( the recruit ) has never stepped foot in the office yet as an employee ( using your example ), I'm unable to befriend a boss I simply don't know, I was at another business ( in hs ). Under your work example....I was already on the payroll ( in college ) and the bosses changed.

It is my sincere hope you understand that concept. I wish all the recruits well who have been caught in transition and it is my sincere hope the right fit is found!

Again thanks to you and SO King on the UK recruiting front, and yes I'm complimenting you, King, and any other resources being shared . I'll continue to bring the other regional teams to light with new coaches as I said I would in prior threads. It will make for a good study over the next 4 years as to who is doing well and not so much.

So when I bring UC, UT, WKU, and UK to the latest front by simpling googling the latest news on that simple subject. You'll know the motivation!
I'm not the first to say this, or the last either

Massillon hasn't done squat since Chris Speilman. They have 22 poll state titles, and when the playoff system began, they've been championship-less. losing massillon is not a big deal. besides, when rick minter saved UC's football program in the 90s, his key to success was getting really good players in cincinnati to stay instead of go to indiana, purdue, illinois, and pitt

Tuberville may not be a nice guy, but he's saying i can get better football players than you, and i will. i see nothing wrong with that. football coaches don't last very long when they spend more time pleasing everybody than winning games, and if you want to be in that top tier, you've got to get the best. the QB at massillon was a very good football player and smart kid, he'll play football somewhere, just not at UC
^
The school had to of known this was his plan as well from the get go.
Im sure it was discussed long before he made the move.
Spirit100 Wrote:You just made my point Blur. I ( the recruit ) has never stepped foot in the office yet as an employee ( using your example ), I'm unable to befriend a boss I simply don't know, I was at another business ( in hs ). Under your work example....I was already on the payroll ( in college ) and the bosses changed.

It is my sincere hope you understand that concept. I wish all the recruits well who have been caught in transition and it is my sincere hope the right fit is found!

Again thanks to you and SO King on the UK recruiting front, and yes I'm complimenting you, King, and any other resources being shared . I'll continue to bring the other regional teams to light with new coaches as I said I would in prior threads. It will make for a good study over the next 4 years as to who is doing well and not so much.

So when I bring UC, UT, WKU, and UK to the latest front by simpling googling the latest news on that simple subject. You'll know the motivation!

Point given, point taken. I do understand your concept, I just don't agree with it. We can agree to disagree, respectively.

Since you went with my work analogy, and my analogy was flawed, let me try to take another view of it. If you were HIRED in a position by Boss A, but hadn't yet started. But before you started Boss A decided to take the same position at a different company. They hire Boss B at the company you're in line to work for, but Boss B has a new approach for productivity & someone with your abilities are no longer needed. However, the company relies on Boss B to take the initiative to let you know. In the mean time, Boss A's new company has the same position open but the company may have more qualified applicants applying for the position, which you are well aware. Therefore, you stay with the original position you have accepted. As the deadline approaches to apply at Boss A's new company, which you haven't considered due to your assumed status at the original company. Boss B releases to the local paper, that the company will be in search for new applicants for the position you accepted as the company has taken a new plan of action. It's not Boss A's responsibility & he or she doesn't know that the old company doesn't plan to keep you.

Of course, Boss A being Butch Jones & Boss B being Tuberville. I firmly believe Butch Jones has no responsibility or commitment to the commits. In Massillon's situation, Kempt may have been firm to Cincinnati no matter the coach or was looking forward to playing for Tuberville. The good news for Kempt is that he had a previous offer from Tennessee & in all likely hood I'd say Jones will honor that. As for some of the other commits, I'm sure many of them Butch Jones will not need at Tennessee as UT can attract many 3 or 4 star players in the same positions. A recruit, shouldn't assume that their offer from Jones at Cincinnati, should be honored at UT. It's like comparing apples & oranges. If a kid committed to per say WKU, should the kid assume that their offer should be honored if the coach got hired at UK?? I think not. Tennessee is a step up from Cincinnati as UK is a step up from WKU.

It's the new coach's responsibility to re-evaluate current commits & let them know if they are in the program's plans going forward. Just as a coach assumes commits are still committed unless the kid contacts them, kids assume their commit will be honored unless the coach contacts them. The kids could always taken initiative & contacted Tuberville to find out. It's not Jones' responsibility to contact these commits. For all we know, Jones may have & said I'm going to Tennessee. I plan to re-evaluate their current commits, if you'd like & we see the need for you in our program we'll let you know. However, it's not Jones' responsibility to contact the commits. His new hire is nationally known, and he doesn't have to spend hours on the phone just to let kids know he's leaving.

toussaints Wrote:I'm not the first to say this, or the last either

Massillon hasn't done squat since Chris Speilman. They have 22 poll state titles, and when the playoff system began, they've been championship-less. losing massillon is not a big deal. besides, when rick minter saved UC's football program in the 90s, his key to success was getting really good players in cincinnati to stay instead of go to indiana, purdue, illinois, and pitt

Tuberville may not be a nice guy, but he's saying i can get better football players than you, and i will. i see nothing wrong with that. football coaches don't last very long when they spend more time pleasing everybody than winning games, and if you want to be in that top tier, you've got to get the best. the QB at massillon was a very good football player and smart kid, he'll play football somewhere, just not at UC

Massillon may very well be irrelevant when it comes to state championships, but that doesn't mean they won't have a stud come through.

Look at Anthony Davis. I think his senior year in high school, his team only won 4-6 games. We know they weren't relevant in Illinois team ratings but he still had the tools to be a stud in college.

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^The school had to of known this was his plan as well from the get go.
Im sure it was discussed long before he made the move.

I agree, but I'm sure they assumed Tuberville would take the responsibility to let the commits know.
Here's a good article shedding light on the trend towards recruits following the staffs that recruited them.

http://bearcatsnation.com/2013/01/16/cin...-to-worry/