Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tony Messer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
does anyone know his latest offers besides EKU?
There was an article in the williamson daily on Friday talking about his recruitment. Only offer at moment is EKU. Several schools "writing letters" etc. Article said his highlight tape is being sent to coaches.

I hope I am wrong but it seems a little late for a DI offer. EKU will get a good one if that is where he lands.
If Messer ends up at EKU I believe he will be a quality player for them in the future. Big, strong, physical kid who can run
Messer won't last at a D1 college. EKU is a good bet for him.
Real Badman Wrote:Messer won't last at a D1 college. EKU is a good bet for him.

Not to nitpick but EKU is division 1, fbs and fcs are the two levels of D-1. Sorry to gripe but as a Colonel fan it kills me when people act like its d2
You are not nitpicking. I read it the same way, as though he is just going to EKU. If you watched the Pats/Texans, you just listened to the OVC's most famous alum.
Real Badman Wrote:Messer won't last at a D1 college. EKU is a good bet for him.
Messer just played the the Border bowl where he was a captain. Had several tackels on D and several Nice blocks as a tight end. A couple of blocks were pancakes. He played both sides of the ball and logged more time on the field than the other players because of it. Dont know why you would say that about Tony but I asure you the coaches were very impressed with him and he played well against kids that are going to D1 schools. Messer can play with anyone he is a big tough strong kid. If he gets to go to a big school he will do just fine and if not he will be a star at any small school! Official sighning date aint til feb. so there is time.
PaytoPlay Wrote:There was an article in the williamson daily on Friday talking about his recruitment. Only offer at moment is EKU. Several schools "writing letters" etc. Article said his highlight tape is being sent to coaches.

I hope I am wrong but it seems a little late for a DI offer. EKU will get a good one if that is where he lands.

i read that story, just didnt know if there was anything new, he used to stay at my house quite often,when i lived there,but havent got to talk to him since i left and moved to arkansas..someone needs to send his tape to Arkansas State, with the new coach abd his offense,i think they could use him at TE or maybe move him to DE on defense,so if anybody talks to him get him to send his tape over here..
Colonel 17 Wrote:Not to nitpick but EKU is division 1, fbs and fcs are the two levels of D-1. Sorry to gripe but as a Colonel fan it kills me when people act like its d2

You caught me there haha. I obviously meant a difference in FCS/FBS.
Tony will contribute where ever he decides to play.
I heard we will be watching him play for Coach Strong next season.:rockon:
Fooseball Devil Wrote:I heard we will be watching him play for Coach Strong next season.:rockon:

where did u hear that..
and what postion?
Heard talk at the Border Bowl, I think it was one of the Bowl officials said he was going to be playing Safety or outside backer.
He won't be playing safety anywhere.

I think he translates to the next level at Tight End, wherever that may be.
Fooseball Devil Wrote:Heard talk at the Border Bowl, I think it was one of the Bowl officials said he was going to be playing Safety or outside backer.

Don't want it to seem like I'm piling on, but I don't see him playing outside LBer either. Not quick enough to play OLB at the D-1 level from what I observed (admittedly it was only 3 or 4 games). I see him either playing TE or putting on the pounds and becoming a DE if he's going to play at the D-1 level.

For the record, I really like this kid. Plays hard and with a lot of heart. In some other offense, the kid would probably average 5 or 6 catches per game. I know Haywood doesn't throw the ball much, but if he did, Messer's size would have created big matchup problems for Central. If I recall properly, Belfry only threw 2 passes his way and he caught them both (one being for a TD).
I got a chance to see messer play the last two years against breathitt co. I think EKU would be a good fit for him
PaytoPlay Wrote:He won't be playing safety anywhere.

I think he translates to the next level at Tight End, wherever that may be.

100 percent agree on the NO SAFETY,LOL
charlie22 Wrote:Don't want it to seem like I'm piling on, but I don't see him playing outside LBer either. Not quick enough to play OLB at the D-1 level from what I observed (admittedly it was only 3 or 4 games). I see him either playing TE or putting on the pounds and becoming a DE if he's going to play at the D-1 level.

For the record, I really like this kid. Plays hard and with a lot of heart. In some other offense, the kid would probably average 5 or 6 catches per game. I know Haywood doesn't throw the ball much, but if he did, Messer's size would have created big matchup problems for Central. If I recall properly, Belfry only threw 2 passes his way and he caught them both (one being for a TD).

i agree with all your statement..
charlie22 Wrote:Don't want it to seem like I'm piling on, but I don't see him playing outside LBer either. Not quick enough to play OLB at the D-1 level from what I observed (admittedly it was only 3 or 4 games). I see him either playing TE or putting on the pounds and becoming a DE if he's going to play at the D-1 level.

Very fair assessment.

I, too, think FCS is the best fit for him. I think he has great potential as a TE for teams because he does posses adequate hands and athleticism (he is a solid basketball player), but what stands out to me is he is actually a fantastic impact blocker despite playing on a frame that can still stand to add 10-15 pounds. I honestly think he could also be a good fit at some lower level FBS teams (Sun-Belt/MAC) because of this.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Very fair assessment.

I, too, think FCS is the best fit for him. I think he has great potential as a TE for teams because he does posses adequate hands and athleticism (he is a solid basketball player), but what stands out to me is he is actually a fantastic impact blocker despite playing on a frame that can still stand to add 10-15 pounds. I honestly think he could also be a good fit at some lower level FBS teams (Sun-Belt/MAC) because of this.

he would fit in just fine here at Arkansas State,hes got some more offers,i found out from his dad,but I will let them put them out if they choice...where ever he decides to go,i think he will play...
If a DI offer is going to come, South Florida might be a possibility. WKU was sorta interested while Taggart was the coach. Once Petrino came in, it looks like they have gotten a couple TE commits.

South Florida however, just lost the lone TE committment they had. Surely there are other prospects out there, but if the Bulls keep striking out, will Taggart remember liking Messer?

Of course ^ presumes the kid would even want to go that far from home; grades; etc.
well, like i said there was a couple,and he may be looking at more,i know for a fact because Tony has told me for his self, hes been txting me the last few days,but again,i wont put anything out there,i will let him or his dad do that...