Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Can Notre Dame win the championship???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Before we get started, let’s establish one thing. Alabama is the favorite to win the BCS National Championship, but this game is not going to be a blowout. During the regular season, Alabama and Notre Dame both proved themselves to be excellent football teams.
Both played difficult schedules; Jeff Sagarin rates Notre Dame’s schedule as the 30th-toughest in the nation and ranks Alabama’s 35th. Notre Dame faced seven teams with winning records; Alabama faced six. Notre Dame played three teams that ranked in the final BCS Top 25; Alabama played four.
The rankings can’t seem to agree on which team is better.
The BCS standings rate Notre Dame #1 and Alabama #2. Jeff Sagarin’s ratings have Alabama #1 and Notre Dame #2. Football Outsiders’ S&P ratings rank Alabama #1 and Notre Dame #5. Brian Fremeau’s FEI has Notre Dame #3 and Alabama #4.
Point-spreads aside, these are two evenly matched teams. The game is going to be close, and there’s a recipe for success in those sorts of situations.
Close games typically come down to some combination of three factors: turnovers, big plays, and third down. The winner of this game will be the team that can gain (and keep) possession of the ball, gain (and prevent) huge chunks of yardage, and stay on (and get off) the field.
If regular season results are any indication, the Irish have an advantage in all three..

TURNOVERS

On the surface, this seems like an easy win for the Tide. Against its full schedule, Bama ranks 13th in the nation in turnover margin, at +1 per game. Notre Dame was a respectable 23rd, averaging +.75 per game.

/Warms up Stephen A. Smith impression

HOWEVUH, removing the cupcakes from the equation tells a different story. Including only FBS opponents with winning records, Alabama’ margin drops to +.5 per game; Notre Dame’s margin soars into the top five in the nation, an advantage of +1.43 per game.

This isn't the sort of Alabama defense that can take the ball away at will. It's an outstanding team that feasted on crappy competition, but one that's more suited to wait around for an opponent's mistake rather than actively causing one.
If a turnover ends up impacting the game, odds are it’ll be the Irish that force it.

BIG PLAYS

Though it wouldn’t be one of the first names called in a list of the nation’s most explosive offenses, Alabama thrives on making the big play, ranking 15th in the nation with a total of 69 plays gaining more than 20 yards.

Unfortunately for the Tide, Notre Dame is even better at preventing big plays than Alabama is at converting them. The Irish have allowed only 29 plays of more than 20 yards this season, just under two and a half per game.

Specifically, Notre Dame’s defense spells a rough day for Alabama’s freshman wideout Amari Cooper. So far this season, Cooper has reeled in eight catches of more than 30 yards (In total, Alabama has 32).

Notre Dame has allowed exactly six such plays; one every other game. That’s the best mark in college football, and one made even more impressive considering that Notre Dame has already faced three of the nation’s best big play passing offenses in Michigan (38 plays), Miami (32 plays), and USC (32 plays).

Big plays cut both ways, but don’t expect much disruption from Alabama’s defense. Notre Dame runners have been tackled behind the line of scrimmage just 52 times. Only seven teams allowed fewer TFLs.

And it’s not as though the Irish haven’t faced tough defenses. Notre Dame has already played three teams (Stanford, USC, and BYU) that have accumulated more TFLs than Bama.

Though the TV ratings may indicate otherwise, Notre Dame will likely make sure that the national championship game is a relatively boring affair.

THIRD DOWN

As you might expect, both teams are excellent on third down, on both sides of the ball. Notre Dame is less than a percentage point better on offense, Alabama is not quite two points better on defense.
There’s no clear advantage/disadvantage in the team statistics, so we'll have to get more specific.
In short yardage, it's a push. Both teams are great on both sides of the ball. Notre Dame has authored some epic stands this season, but Alabama is just as solid up front. It's going to be an exciting match-up, but not one that either team is likely to win consistently.
So, let's move on to the quarterbacks. Conventional wisdom would grant a huge advantage to the experienced A.J. McCarron, but the numbers don’t back that up.

In situations when a third down conversion relies completely on the quarterback (specifically, third down and seven or more yards to go), Notre Dame’s Everett Golson was significantly better. In those situations, McCarron converted 28% of his 39 attempts; Golson delivered a first down in 37% of his 41 chances. To be clear, these conversions are just on pass attempts. Golson converted an additional two first downs of more than ten yards with his legs.

When it comes down to the plays on which drives sink or swim, the numbers favor Golson.

It’s a counterintuitive fact, but a fact nonetheless. Just like the fact that when the outcome of the BCS National Championship game comes is decided by turnovers, big plays, or third downs, Notre Dame has the advantage.
I didnt read any of that because the answer is "No".
:Thumbs:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I didnt read any of that because the answer is "No".

Yes you did and it is ok to be worried!!!:lmao:
^
Confusednicker:

Why should i be worried?
According to a couple of posters on this site, i am not allowed to cheer for Bama. Its against the rules...
Anyone can be beat.
Can they? Yes.

Will they? Doubtful.
I've picked the Irish because I am and have been a fan since I was a kid. My first thought when a potential Bama matchupfirst came up was Bama by 4-5 TDs.

After the A&M game...not so much. Bamas D-secondary is more than suspect and they showed glaring weaknesses containing Johnny Football. Their going to get more of the same with ND. Coach Kelly will have the Irish primed and ready as will Saban.

The Irish are going to need help...if Bama gets careless and turns the ball over once or twice they have a chance otherwise realistically I see Bama winning by 10-14 points.

I did pick ND to win 30-27 in bowl mania...I also picked Wisconsin and Northern Illinois Confusednicker: we'll find out Monday night if the third stupid risk is a charm Confusednicker:. I'd be tied with the lead knuckleheads if I had called the Rose and Orange bowls straight up. GO IRISH! :popcorn:
ND will roll the tide! Bama will show everybody that they are overrated.
We will seen in about 27-28 hours.
Yes they can , but no they won't. No way no how!! Just can't Handel bama defense on cant stop bamas offense, the Irish has a good team but just not good enough to win this game.
..........????

panther nation Wrote:Yes they can , but no they won't. No way no how!! Just can't Handel bama defense on cant stop bamas offense, the Irish has a good team but just not good enough to win this game.
I got em winning!
UK1fan Wrote:ND will roll the tide! Bama will show everybody that they are overrated.

Just like the SEC teams in the national championship were overrated for the past 6 years?

Besides, your name is UK1Fan, i assume that means your a UK fan, you are not allowed to cheer for ND. I dont make the rules, i just follow them....:biglmao:
^ thank you for following the No Bandwagon Allowed Rule...

Rule written by EKFF
All I know is I cannot wait... Waited my whole life to see ND in the championship.. Can't sleep right now...

True Fan

By the way if all u UK/SEC fans are right and ND gets beat by 30... I'll b here to take it, I won't run away!!

Go Irish
ekff Wrote:^ thank you for following the No Bandwagon Allowed Rule...

Rule written by EKFF

[Image: smiley-laughing025.gif]
When ND wins tonight the [Image: emoticon-south-park-011.gif] is going to [Image: emoticon-object-037.gif]
:biglmao:
ekff Wrote:All I know is I cannot wait... Waited my whole life to see ND in the championship.. Can't sleep right now...

True Fan

By the way if all u UK/SEC fans are right and ND gets beat by 30... I'll b here to take it, I won't run away!!

Go Irish

Thats the only reason we dont run you off Confusednicker:
Do-double-gg Wrote:When ND wins tonight the [Image: emoticon-south-park-011.gif] is going to [Image: emoticon-object-037.gif]
:biglmao:

I can't believe this is even a thread, lol! Of course they can win, anyone can beat anyone, especially when it's two great teams like ND and Bama.

Dumbass Bama fans have made me go from wanting Bama to win to rooting for Notre Dame because of the pure disrespect they've shown towards ND...being humble must not be a trait of those people, because most of them think it's going to be a blowout, and it's just not going to be anything like that.

Bama's D is huge, and not near as fast as past defenses. They're also not good against the option. Both of which ND is great at. ND is also great at stopping the run...if Bama is going to win, I think they'll have to do it mainly through the air.

I do hope ND wins now. If they do, I can't wait to hear all the excuses from Bama people, hahahah.
vundy33 Wrote:I can't believe this is even a thread, lol! Of course they can win, anyone can beat anyone, especially when it's two great teams like ND and Bama.

Dumbass Bama fans have made me go from wanting Bama to win to rooting for Notre Dame because of the pure disrespect they've shown towards ND...being humble must not be a trait of those people, because most of them think it's going to be a blowout, and it's just not going to be anything like that.

Bama's D is huge, and not near as fast as past defenses. They're also not good against the option. Both of which ND is great at. ND is also great at stopping the run...if Bama is going to win, I think they'll have to do it mainly through the air.

I do hope ND wins now. If they do, I can't wait to hear all the excuses from Bama people, hahahah.

Me neither!Confusednicker:
Strikeout King Wrote:We will seen in about 27-28 hours.

About 16 hours now!!!Confusednicker:
I am just glad two teams are playing for the National Championship who deserve to be there and not seeing and 3rd or 4th team complaining about being looked over. Seems to be cut and dry this year.

With that being said, it has been a few years since I have been this excited about a National Championship game. Both colleges have history of Football that runs deep.
Rally sons of Notre Dame:
Sing her glory and sound her fame,
Raise her Gold and Blue
And cheer with voices true:
Rah, rah, for Notre Dame
We will fight in ev-ry game,
Strong of heart and true to her name
We will ne'er forget her
And will cheer her ever
Loyal to Notre Dame

Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame,
Wake up the echoes cheering her name,
Send a volley cheer on high,
Shake down the thunder from the sky.
What though the odds be great or small
Old Notre Dame will win over all,
While her loyal sons are marching
Onward to victory.
ESPN First Take ‏@ESPN_FirstTake "Alabama will be TOO MUCH for Notre Dame!" - @stephenasmith

Don't shoot the messenger. I think it will be a good game, shouldn't be a blowout either way, I don't think. Best team will win, whether it be ND or Bama.
LOL. ^ I'm not sure who would be happier tomorrow morning if ND wins, Mike Golic or EKFF
If ND wins EKFF will be bouncing off the walls tonight. He won't be able to sleep he'll be so happy.
^streaking in the quads may be in order?
Pages: 1 2