Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Teens Drown In Lake; Baby Saved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Two teens drowned in a Whitley County lake Wednesday despite the efforts of a Corbin woman to save them.

The incident happened at about 3 p.m. Wednesday at Laurel Lake. Robert Allen Pool, Jr., 15 of Williamsburg and Andrew Brent Lascho, 18, of Corbin were on the High Top boat ramp when witnesses say the were suddenly in the water, one of them clutching a baby. A nearby boater, Luretha Claxton, rushed to the rescue. She said the teenager holding the baby was already below the surface, but was managing to hold the baby above water. She was able to help save the child, but was unable to save the two teens.

"Once the man said "my baby is drowning", my automatic instinct was the grab the float to save the baby," said Claxton. "And I did, I saved the baby."

Rescue crews used underwater cameras to find the bodies of the two teens, nearly 60 feet below the surface. Both were recovered shortly after 8 p.m. Wednesday night.

Autopsies will be performed in Frankfort, but the preliminary cause of death is drowning.

That is awful. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the young men.
Very sad news.... my thoughts and prayers are with their friends and families
That is so sad! I feel for the families.
my thoughts and prayers are with their friends and families
Parents Of Teenagers Who Drown In Lake Say Boys Are Heroes

June 1, 2006 03:38 PM

The father of a 14 year old boy who drowned Wednesday in Laurel Lake says his son sacrificed his life to save a young child. Robert Pool's father says his son and 18 year old Andrew Lashon were trying to help a three- year old who was struggling in the water.

Pool says his son and other people were standing is a sandbar that protrudes out into the lake. He says a boat went by and created a wave that swept the child and the teenagers into high water. "They were out on a rock and it was a hole on each side of the rock and I guess when the boat went over and the waves went over they went in the lake" said Robert Pool, Sr. He says he's been told his son held the three year old child up above the water until a swimmer was able to rescue her. Pool says his son couldn't swim but had such a big heart it would not be out of character that he'd risk his own life to save that of a child.

Police say their investigation is yet to reveal exactly what caused Pool and Laschon to drown but Laschon's father says he's been told the same story, that his son may have died being a hero. Laschon's father says his son didn't like being around water.
So sad......
Hate to hear that.
Hate to hear it..So Sad
Very sad news.....
I knew Robert Pool Jr. I went to school with him at whitley middle an he was my first friend there that i had an me an robert hung out alot then after middle school sometime before he past away i seen him at the spillway down on bee creek an him an me talked for a little while an then i told him that i would see hime sometime another because he said he had to go but i didn't think that would had been the last time i would see him tho an when i found out that he past away that rly broke my heart cuz he was like a brother to me an my best friend an i went to his visitations but i didn't go to his funeral tho an everytime i think bout him it upsets me that he isn't here with us anymore an we was suppose to graduate with us this year at whitley county high school an know that he isn't going to be there with all of us is going to be a sad day cuz he could be there in person with us but he will be missed by many people an i find myself thinking bout him alot actually as it gets close to graduation an i just wish that he was there with us but as i said he is missed by many people an i kno i miss him an wish he didn't have to go but it was his time i guess but i just thought that i'd write my thoughts about Robert pool jr. (My best Friend)
This is very sad, but I am glad that the baby was saved. Prayers for the families and those involved.