Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence Co. 82 Prestonsburg 58
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Didn't attend this game. Looks like Pburg played terrible defense.

Congrats Dawgs!
Congrats Dawgs. I had to work late also and didnt make the game.

Keep working Blackcats. Good luck in the All A.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Didn't attend this game. Looks like Pburg played terrible defense.

Congrats Dawgs!

BCA you didn't miss anything.

Lawrence Co: These kids get after it for 32 minutes. They are very unselfish and play for each other. Probably had 4 kids in double figures. Defensively they were a machine. They would transition from man to zone back to man full court press to half court and it stifled Pburg. I look for this team to make some noise this year and years to come. Great young coach with a lot of enthusiasm and knowledge of the game.

Prestonsburg: It kills me to see kids making turnovers and then walking back down the floor. This team is very selfish and all about individual play. Not sure if that is a coaching decision or if the players are ignoring the coach and doing their own thing. Frasure had another good outting. Not sure on the exact stats but probably 15 rebounds and 23 points.
This game was won by 8 or 10 team mates playing together. Prestonsburg only plays 6 players and by the end of the game these 6 are so tired they can't keep up with other teams. LC played at least 10 players. Until the coaching staff starts to use some of the talent on the bench, they will see the same results. Other coaches know they only play 6 players, so they just wait for the second half.
bball Wrote:This game was won by 8 or 10 team mates playing together. Prestonsburg only plays 6 players and by the end of the game these 6 are so tired they can't keep up with other teams. LC played at least 10 players. Until the coaching staff starts to use some of the talent on the bench, they will see the same results. Other coaches know they only play 6 players, so they just wait for the second half.

I agree the starters need rest but anyone who knows basketball can see that once the coach goes to the bench its going to be trouble. Pburg may have the worst bench in the state. Stidham and Lemaster are the only 2 that should see the floor. The only other possibility is the 8th grader that plays point guard on jv. And those minutes should be sparingly.
How would you know, they never get to play. You must be an expert or an adviser to the coaches.
bball Wrote:How would you know, they never get to play. You must be an expert or an adviser to the coaches.

Because its the same kids that play jv and can't compete at that level so how would they compete at a higher level. And as far as being an adviser to the coach, I am not. I respect the coach a lot but truth is he doesn't know much about basketball and his passion is football, regardless you can't win the derby on a donkey.

Facts are Facts. :igiveup:
IMHO, outside of the starting 5, Prestonsburg just is not very talented. Certainly one of the weakest benches Pburg has had in quite sometime. However, this team is also one of the youngest teams Pburg has had since I've been watching them. They start one senior, three sophomores, and 1 freshman. I think that there is potential on the bench with Foley, Stapleton, and Chatlin Jarrell. Plus Pburg has Dillon out with an injury, and he was expected to get plenty of minutes this season. So late in games, teams that can rotate players in-and-out are going to have the advantage over Pburg.

I'm not so sold on the assistant coaches, because the JV players show them ZERO respect and I doubt the varsity players show them much respect in practices. I don't know the guys, never met them and I honestly couldn't even tell you their names. Know nothing about them. I do know coach James and while he may be a football guy, he's plenty good enough to coach the boys team. He done of helluva job last season. I think Prestonsburg should have went another route once Pack left a few years ago. But they went with James because he wanted the job.
I agree with you BCA but there are kids in that school who are upper classmen that played last year but are not this year because of the coach. Trey Stapleton and Grant Anderson are 2 that I know of. One can't use the youth factor either because most schools in the region are young this year. Lawrence probably being the youngest. The sad thing is, I don't see it getting any better from the looks of the middle schools and the jv team.

There were plenty of proven coaches available when Pack was removed. Cook at Lawrence Co, and Justice formely of East Ridge (Who by the way has a sophomore son who some say is decent Cameron Justice) just to name a few. Prestonsburg has tremendous talent year in and year out not to be competing for the regional title on a consistant basis.
UpYours Wrote:I agree with you BCA but there are kids in that school who are upper classmen that played last year but are not this year because of the coach. Trey Stapleton and Grant Anderson are 2 that I know of. One can't use the youth factor either because most schools in the region are young this year. Lawrence probably being the youngest. The sad thing is, I don't see it getting any better from the looks of the middle schools and the jv team.

There were plenty of proven coaches available when Pack was removed. Cook at Lawrence Co, and Justice formely of East Ridge (Who by the way has a sophomore son who some say is decent Cameron Justice) just to name a few. Prestonsburg has tremendous talent year in and year out not to be competing for the regional title on a consistant basis.

I know very little of Coach Cook so I cannot comment there.

Coach Justice wasn't coming to P-burg.

P-burg and Belfry are very similar in that they will not truly commit to basketball. Give lip service and spend a little money here and there but actually commit? Ain't going to happen.
UpYours Wrote:I agree with you BCA but there are kids in that school who are upper classmen that played last year but are not this year because of the coach. Trey Stapleton and Grant Anderson are 2 that I know of. One can't use the youth factor either because most schools in the region are young this year. Lawrence probably being the youngest. The sad thing is, I don't see it getting any better from the looks of the middle schools and the jv team.

Grant & Trey aren't playing because of baseball. I can't blame them either, because they're two of the better players in the area. Had nothing to do with coach James.

Prestonsburg always has a few guys that can play basketball, but usually basketball isn't their best sport. Jarin Hall & BJ Holliday are probably the only two players that actually play that basketball is actually their best sport. However, Jarin is a very good baseball player as well. You would probably have to go back to 05-06, which was the last time Pburg had actual guys who where committed to basketball almost year round. And that team should have won region, but was upset in the first round of region. Players can be multi-sport athletes, but these kids are going to care more about football & baseball when it comes down to it. Prestonsburg is a small school that just so happens to be a football school with a up-and-coming baseball program. I'd love to see my alumni win region in every sport, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Just like at every other small town/small school, politics are going to be involved in hirings of coaches, certain players getting minutes, etc. I hate it just like everyone else, but it is what it is and I don't look for things to change too much in the near future.
maybe the jv coach knows as much about basketball as he does women.