Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSAA overhauls Football playoff pairings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LEXINGTON (AP) - District high school football rivals would meet in earlier rounds of the playoffs rather than the finals, under a plan approved by a Kentucky High School Athletic Association panel.

Touted as a cost-saving maneuver, high school football teams would meet within their respective districts for the first two rounds of the playoffs. The KHSAA's Board of Control approved the plan Tuesday.

Previously, schools played other teams outside their districts in the early rounds.

“It definitely is going to save travel money on the first two rounds, because you're going to be playing closer to home,” said Julian Tackett, KHSAA assistant commissioner.

The move prevents a repeat finals matchup of Louisville schools Trinity and St. Xavier, a pairing of football powerhouses that has occurred two out of the last three years. Those teams, if they are both still in contention, would meet in the third round under the new system.

Jim Sexton, a board member and principal at Louisville's Eastern High School, said he opposed the new format because it would prevent an “all-Louisville final.”

“It seemed like Louisville again got the short end of the stick,” Sexton said.

The Courier-Journal,http://www.courier-journal.com.
Lexington Herald-Leader, http://www.kentucky.com
BelfryPride Wrote:Jim Sexton, a board member and principal at Louisville's Eastern High School, said he opposed the new format because it would prevent an “all-Louisville final.”

Oh Booo Hooo......:Sad04: Smile
BelfryPride Wrote:Oh Booo Hooo......:Sad04: Smile
Thats what I was thinking.....the short end of the stick...PleaseRolleyes
I think if it was an all-Louisville final that the championship game would be better matchup instead of like the blowout like year with X and Scott Co.
Yea UI think the same thing but how is it going to affect our area, is it going to be like Lawrence Co playing the Ashlands and Johnson Centrals in the 1st two rounds or is it going to be the same for our Area.., I think it will take away from the playoff to so degree.

I mean come on would you rather play a #4 seed in the 1st round or a #2 seed!!
Batpuff Wrote:Yea UI think the same thing but how is it going to affect our area, is it going to be like Lawrence Co playing the Ashlands and Johnson Centrals in the 1st two rounds or is it going to be the same for our Area.., I think it will take away from the playoff to so degree.

That is a really good question...anybody with an answer
Batpuff Wrote:Yea UI think the same thing but how is it going to affect our area, is it going to be like Lawrence Co playing the Ashlands and Johnson Centrals in the 1st two rounds or is it going to be the same for our Area.., I think it will take away from the playoff to so degree.

Wouldn't that mean the 4 seed would still play the 1 seed and 2 vs. 3, but only in the district you play in.

Last years playoff would've been Asland vs. Lawrence and JC vs. Mason. Winners play the team that comes out of the Bell Rock. Co. district.

Correct me if I am Wrong.
That's how I understand it also. Still 1-4 and 2-3 then those winners play with the result being the eventual district champs from each district playing in the regionals.
I don't care for it much or like it. I'm like Batpuff it takes away from the playoff atmosphere. I understand cutting down on travel but that's what the playoffs are all about if you ask me.
Its all about gas prices and it will also increase attendance.

MONEY!
Personally, I dont like the idea. In areas like Louisville, it prevents the best teams from meeting in the finals, which overall I think would have higher attendance than if they played in an earlier round. Some districts arent very talented and two teams from another district that are in the same region would have to play each other before the regional finals which wouldnt be fair.
Good idea...It works in basketball and baseball just fine!!
The thing is in football its one and done. Baseball and basketball tournament systems are set up differently with the top two teams from each district making it to region.
I disagree. I do not like this plan.
I liked the old system, and I am sure I will like the new system, I just like high-school football!
i like the old system
sounds good to me.....but I Love playing teams from other districts, so you get an Idea of what they are made of...kinda double edged. I see major blowouts happening.
Elm street Wrote:sounds good to me.....but I Love playing teams from other districts, so you get an Idea of what they are made of...kinda double edged. I see major blowouts happening.
:thumpsup:
I like the new format!
BelfryPride Wrote:LEXINGTON (AP) - District high school football rivals would meet in earlier rounds of the playoffs rather than the finals, under a plan approved by a Kentucky High School Athletic Association panel.

Touted as a cost-saving maneuver, high school football teams would meet within their respective districts for the first two rounds of the playoffs. The KHSAA's Board of Control approved the plan Tuesday.

Previously, schools played other teams outside their districts in the early rounds.

“It definitely is going to save travel money on the first two rounds, because you're going to be playing closer to home,” said Julian Tackett, KHSAA assistant commissioner.

The move prevents a repeat finals matchup of Louisville schools Trinity and St. Xavier, a pairing of football powerhouses that has occurred two out of the last three years. Those teams, if they are both still in contention, would meet in the third round under the new system.

Jim Sexton, a board member and principal at Louisville's Eastern High School, said he opposed the new format because it would prevent an “all-Louisville final.”

The Courier-Journal,http://www.courier-journal.com.
Lexington Herald-Leader, [url="http://www.kentucky.com"]http://www.kentucky.com[/url]
Poor Louisville, My heart just bleeds for them LOL! Gimmie a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cbls_75 Wrote:I think if it was an all-Louisville final that the championship game would be better matchup instead of like the blowout like year with X and Scott Co.
Well if Louisville schools are that much better than the rest of the state they along with Lexington should have theyre own class and only Lex and Louisville schools shouls be allowed in it. Then you could have your precious X-T matchup every year and wouldnt be disturbed by the "riff-raff" from out in the state.
This goes to all the whiners about the 6 class system and the new playoff format, just shut up and play! if you dont play and want to voice youre protest then quit going to the games. Im sure youll be missed LOL!!!!!