Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Madison Central 79 St. Xavier 76 (OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from the KOB at Fairdale
Congrats Madison Central...
Allen Feldhaus Jr. took a deep breath, smiled and said what everyone in the gym had to be thinking.

"How in the world did we win that basketball game?"

After three of his starters fouled out, the Madison Central High School boys' basketball coach watched Ken-Jah Bosley put on a miraculous performance as the Indians shocked St. Xavier 79-76 in overtime Wednesday in the first round of the Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass Holiday Classic at Fairdale.

"I thought our chances were slim and none," Feldhaus said.

But the Indians, No. 4 in The Courier-Journal's preseason poll of coaches, improved to 7-2 and advanced to face Fairdale at 6 p.m. Friday in a quarterfinal.

Dominique Hawkins scored 24 points to lead Madison Central but fouled out with 51.8 seconds left in regulation and his team trailing 59-55. Fellow starter Quan Taylor (seven points, 10 rebounds) had fouled out with 2:17 left in the quarter.

Enter Bosley, who had missed practice the previous two days because of a 102-degree fever.

"I was feeling really slow and weak, but I had to pick it up since Dominique and Quan fouled out," said Bosley, who scored 13 of his 15 points in the final 4:06 of action. "I had to suck it up for the team and not worry about how I feel."

Bosley's 3-pointer pulled the Indians within 63-61 with six seconds left. After St. Xavier's Robert Shaw hit 1 of 2 free throws for a 64-61 lead, Madison Central called a timeout with 3.1 seconds remaining. St. X contended it was the Indians' sixth timeout of the game -- which would have resulted in a technical foul -- but the official scorer ruled it was the fifth.

Bosley took the inbounds pass near midcourt and fired a 28-footer from the right wing that went in and forced overtime.

St. X coach Kevin Klein wanted his team to foul to keep the Indians from having a shot to tie.

"We told our guys to foul right on the catch so we didn't risk giving up three (foul) shots to tie the game," Klein said. "As Bosley caught it and dribbled and dribbled again, I said, 'Oh, no. We're not going to foul him, and he's going to make the shot.' What a terrific shot."

The Indians lost their third starter (Daniel Parke) to fouls in the overtime, and Alex Jones' basket gave the Tigers a 74-71 lead with 1:17 left. But the Indians scored seven straight points in less than a minute as Sam Jones sandwiched two baskets around a Bosley 3-pointer.

Jones' free throw gave the Indians a 79-76 lead with 6.4 seconds left, and the Tigers' Justin Moody missed a 3-point try at the buzzer.

Alex Jones led No. 18 St. X (6-2) with 28 points and added nine rebounds. Brock Kiesler pitched in 10 points and 12 rebounds before fouling out in overtime. The Tigers finished 21 of 33 from the free-throw line, including 18 of 29 over the fourth quarter and extra period.

"Guys have to take free throws more serious in practice and have to work more on their own," said Klein, whose team will face Apollo in a consolation game at 6 p.m. Friday. "But I think we have all the tools to have a great team."

St. Xavier 12 18 16 18 12 - 76
Madison Cent. 12 11 18 23 15 - 79

St. Xavier (6-2) - Shaw 11, Glasford 12, Jones 28, McCormick 2, Moody 10, Hardy 1, Kiesler 10, Marquess 2.

Madison Central (7-2) - Bosley 15, Alexander 8, George 10, Hawkins 24, Stocker 7, Jones 8, Taylor 7.

3-point goals - Shaw 2, Glasford, Jones, Moody, Bosley 3, Alexander 2, George, Hawkins, Stocker 2.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...2312190147
Sounds like an exciting game to me.
^ no doubt!