Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bullitt East 72 - Madison Central 66
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.

Willis 22pts

Hawkins-29pts
I like troutman better than I like Willis for bullit east!
^IMO, Hawkins was the best player on the court!
Hawkins is a GREAT player! I love his game!
Big things were expected from the Bullitt East High School boys' basketball team this season, but coach Troy Barr said even he's surprised his team is 7-0.

But that's where the Chargers stand after posting a 72-66 win Saturday over Madison Central in the second game of the Thorntons Showdown at Valley.

Bullitt East, No. 2 in The Courier-Journal's preseason poll of coaches, knocked off No. 4 Madison Central (6-2) for its fourth victory this season over a Top 25 squad. The Chargers opened their season with wins over No. 17 Lafayette, No. 7 Henry Clay and No. 8 Hopkinsville.

"I scheduled for us to lose a game going into the (King of the Bluegrass)," said Barr, whose team will face No. 14 Bowling Green on Thursday in a first-round KOB game at Fairdale. "They just proved me wrong. I'm really happy about it."

Kentucky signee Derek Willis scored 22 points and Trey Rakes added 20, making 11 of 12 free throws, to help the Chargers stay perfect on the season.

In the opener of the doubleheader, Indiana University signee Collin Hartman scored 18 points as Indianapolis Cathedral knocked off Ballard 68-63.

* Bullitt East-Madison Central: The Chargers took a 55-45 lead into the fourth quarter, but the Indians rallied for a 63-62 lead on Quan Taylor's 3-point play with 2:49 remaining.

After a Bullitt East timeout, Willis hit a big 3-pointer from the top of the key to give the Chargers a 65-63 lead. Barr said it wasn't the play he drew up.

"It was just him making a play," Barr said. "That's 40 percent of basketball games, letting kids make plays."

Willis hit two free throws for a 68-66 lead with 1:07 left and made two key defensive plays in the final minute, forcing Taylor into a bad shot in the lane and picking up a steal on Madison Central's next possession.

Rakes hit four free throws in the final 26 seconds to seal it.

Barr said the physical game was a good test for a team he challenged to get stronger.

"When I came here as a sophomore, we were kind of weak, and teams would ... bump us around and we'd give up," Willis said. "Now, we've gained weight, and we're more mature. It's easier to play like that."

Dominique Hawkins scored 29 points to lead the Indians. Coach Allen Feldhaus Jr. received a technical foul in the third quarter, and George Walker was ejected in the fourth after officials ruled he threw an elbow at Willis.

Madison Central 14 18 13 21 - 66
Bullitt East 22 18 15 17 - 72

Madison Central (6-2) - Hawkins 29, Bosley 12, Parke 10, Taylor 15.

Bullitt East (7-0) - Sharpe 5, Rakes 20, R. Troutman 13, Young 7, Willis 22, E. Troutman 5.

3-point goals - Hawkins 2, Bosley 2, Parke, Sharpe, R. Troutman, Willis.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...2312150124
Solid game by the Wildcat! Willis hopefully will play a little more consistent basketball now!
I keep underestimating Bullitt East and they keep proving me wrong...Big time win for them! Curious to see how they do in the KOB