Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tubby Does it!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tubby has won 500 career games as head coach.

Congrats Tubby!
:okay:
Good achievement for him.
I'm happy for him. To have a coach as ethical and good for UK and KY as Tubby was, is a blessing. See Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino (post-UK), and Billy G for further reference.
Always been a Tubby fan..
Tubby seemed to always be a good coach. But crumbled in the tournament.
^ well only one team can win it all

still a huge fan of Tubby, congrats on 500
Way to go tubby!
Awesome achievement for Tubby.
Good job Tubby on win #500!
How long until Tubby hangs in the rafters?
Well, it's something he can reflect back on after he and his .500 B10 record
are booted out of the NIT come March I suppose. ANd what kind of flaming moron
could consider having Tubby here at UK a "blessing"?
Observing Wrote:Well, it's something he can reflect back on after he and his .500 B10 record

I guess we just throw away the 1998 title, right?
Tubby was and still is a good coach.
He did great things through the season..
During tourney time - we was out lol..
I mean we did win a title with him and most people will say "Rick Pitino left that team blah blah blah"..
Well, Tubby was still the coach.
Might I add, he's doing a great great job in Minnesota.
As hard as it is to fathom, Tubby, Rick and Joe B won the same number of titles.
Ballers Wrote:Tubby was and still is a good coach.
He did great things through the season..
During tourney time - we was out lol..
I mean we did win a title with him and most people will say "Rick Pitino left that team blah blah blah"..
Well, Tubby was still the coach.
Might I add, he's doing a great great job in Minnesota.

^ Let's remember, Tubby won the title with the team that Rick had lost with the previous year! So, yes it was Ricks team, but it can be said that Tubby did with the team what Rick couldn't!
Stardust Wrote:^ Let's remember, Tubby won the title with the team that Rick had lost with the previous year! So, yes it was Ricks team, but it can be said that Tubby did with the team what Rick couldn't!

A good point on both counts, the 98 team had actually lost quite a bit from the previous year. Derek Anderson, Anthony Epps, and Jared Prickett graduated, and Ron Mercer left early to start his NBA career. Those four players accounted for nearly 53 of the 83 points per game that the 97 team averaged. The 98 team is my all-time favorite Kentucky team because of the heart and determination they showed while being a major, major underdog. They were not nearly as talented as the 96 and 97 teams, and came back after being down double-digits in the elite 8, final four, and the championship game. That team was well-suited toward Tubby's style of play, but I'm sure Rick would have succeeded with them as well. They were not expected to achieve as much as some of the previous UK teams under Pitino, as evidenced by UK having the lowest ranking in several years to start the season.

Tubby had the unfortunate situation of being the coach to replace a legend like Pitino. I feel that he did that to the best of his abilities, and led UK successfully. Had Tubby come to UK after Sutton, the situation would be completely different. Tubby would likely be considered an inspiring legend in the state of Kentucky. He has done a great job at Minnesota, and I am happy to see such a class act achieve such an honor as getting his 500th win. Congratulations Tubby!

And on a side note, I already feel extremely sorry already for that poor guy that has to replace Calipari when he retires.
LWC Wrote:As hard as it is to fathom, Tubby, Rick and Joe B won the same number of titles.

Dont forget Cal as of now.
The argument that Tubby couldn't coach, or recruit is complete stupidity. Tubby brought some of the most exciting players that are currently or/and have played in the NBA (Rondo, Prince, ETC.) The man won a title, he coached circles around Mike Krzyzewski in '98. Any coach who has won the NCAA Tournament, is a good coach, regardless of who recruited the players. Tubby was a great man too, probably one of the most "wholesome" coaches we've ever had. If you can't respect Tubby for what he did for the program, you don't deserve to call yourself a Kentucky fan.
Real Badman Wrote:The argument that Tubby couldn't coach, or recruit is complete stupidity. Tubby brought some of the most exciting players that are currently or/and have played in the NBA (Rondo, Prince, ETC.) The man won a title, he coached circles around Mike Krzyzewski in '98. Any coach who has won the NCAA Tournament, is a good coach, regardless of who recruited the players. Tubby was a great man too, probably one of the most "wholesome" coaches we've ever had. If you can't respect Tubby for what he did for the program, you don't deserve to call yourself a Kentucky fan.
Well said. I never wanted to see tubby leave I never quit believing in tubby smith and knew billy g couldn't do what he did. I'm glad we have cal and all the success but I still believe in tubby and what he will accomplish at Minnesota.
I believe that after about 7 years at UK, Tubby's heart for the rigor of coaching left him. He has not shown the same zeal or passion since. One of the best at the chalkboard and in the huddle. If he and Cal could be put into one coach, it would be scary.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Well said. I never wanted to see tubby leave I never quit believing in tubby smith and knew billy g couldn't do what he did. I'm glad we have cal and all the success but I still believe in tubby and what he will accomplish at Minnesota.

The Kentucky fans drove Tubby out. They wanted what Cal has brought, the best players in the nation. Tubby has a completely different philosophies and his is to recruit Student-Athletes, not Athlete/Students. He changed while he was at UK. He did recruit Athlete first, Student 2nd players when he first started. As the years went on, he changed. Not sure what prompted the change, but it was clearly his idea, and it was one that did not sit well with BBN!

I respect Tubby for doing it the hard way, which is why his 500 wins should be admired! But, you have to really feel secure about your job to coach with that philosophy. Basketball schools demand Win Now and Win Often, which is why Tubby would never fit at a school like UK, UNC, dUKe, etc...

Not sure if there has ever been any dirt on him either, both personally and professionally!
God bless Tubby!
Just a good coach, simple as that.
Great coach and a great man!
Stardust Wrote:^ Let's remember, Tubby won the title with the team that Rick had lost with the previous year! So, yes it was Ricks team, but it can be said that Tubby did with the team what Rick couldn't!

It COULD be said. Of course it would be farcical.

And what SHOULD be said is, that had Pitino not assembled,
coached and taught that team, the Tubster would NEVER
have gotten his one whiff of the Final Four.
LWC Wrote:I guess we just throw away the 1998 title, right?

And what kind of sense does that make? It took Pitino
and UK's resources a lot of hard work to build that team
to earn that title. tubby coming along for the ride
doesn't diminish it. Actually enhances the accomplishment
for the players.
basketball101 Wrote:Just a good coach, simple as that.

Even simpler than that, ther very imbodiment of MEDIOCRITY
as a coach.
Observing Wrote:It COULD be said. Of course it would be farcical.

HOLD THE PHONE BGR...We have a physic in our presence! Don't worry chief, I'm calling NBC right now to see if we can get you your own TV show since you know everything about everything that didn't happen. You're so smart. I bet you helped the Mayan's with their calendar.
Observing Wrote:Well, it's something he can reflect back on after he and his .500 B10 record

Observing Wrote:It COULD be said. Of course it would be farcical.

Observing Wrote:And what kind of sense does that make? It took Pitino
and UK's resources a lot of hard work to build that team
to earn that title. tubby coming along for the ride
doesn't diminish it. Actually enhances the accomplishment
for the players.

Observing Wrote:Even simpler than that, ther very imbodiment of MEDIOCRITY
as a coach.

:Clap:

You act like Tubby took a shot at your wife or something. Geesh.