Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 88 - Samford 56
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Game Ball: Willie Cauley-Stein - He had an excellent game individually. He only shot 5 of 10, which really isn't that good for a big man, but he did have a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds to go with 4 blocks, 3 steals and an assist.

Archie Goodwin - He was really good, and rarely out of control for once. He still has a tendency to favor the difficult shot over the simple play, but he is making progress. He was a narrow runner up to WCS for the game ball on the strength of 18 points on 6-11 shooting, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and only 1 turnover.

Alex Poythress - He also had a good game, shooting the ball very well at 7-9 for 16 points and 8 rebounds. He had 5 turnovers, however, to mar his otherwise stellar line.

Julius Mays - He had a really solid game with 10 points, 5 assists and 3 rebounds. Very nice, very controlled, very mature basketball out of Julius tonight.

Ryan Harrow - I thought he played fine, and played 21 minutes. He only managed 2 points, but he did have 4 assists and did not make a turnover.

Nerlens Noel - He was really a lot better than his stat line. He didn't score a lot with only 13 points, and didn't impress on the boards with only 6 rebounds, But he was a terror on defense, blocking 5 shots and stealing 2, both resulting in baskets. He affected too many shots to count, and he was a major problem for the Bulldogs.

Kyle Wiltjer - He just continues to struggle with his shot, managing only 10 points on 3-9 shooting. He did have 4 beautiful assists and 7 rebounds, so he did help the team, and his defense was not completely awful.

Jon Hood - He had a big game in just 4 minutes, scoring 6 points on 2-3 shooting, all from three. He also had a rebound.

Jarrod Polson - He played okay, scoring only 1 point, but he did have 4 assists, but 2 turnovers and 2 steals.

------

Other Observations

Wiljer needs to play better offensively. Not sure what's going on with his shot, but he needs to fix it.

Poythress struggles with turnovers and seems to rush too much. He seems slow to figure out how to play the game at the college level, and although he had a great stat line, I didn't really love the way he played.

I really don't like the way this team rushes on offense, and lost so much intensity in the second half. I understand that you cannot keep intensity high in a 30-point blowout, but they just seemed not even to try. When a team like Samford scores one point fewer than you do on your home floor in a half, you haven't done the job.

Harrow is showing good signs, but right now, they are just that - signs. He's still not ready to take this team.

If Goodwin will ever figure out how to make the simple play, he will be truly great. He just makes everything look so incredibly difficult.

When Nerlens Noel is totally amped up, he is scary. Unfortunately, he drifts in and out of the required intensity, and still goes for too many fakes.

Cauley-Stein and Kyle Wiltjer are both too weak to play the game at this level. They can't hold the ball, they drop balls in traffic, they struggle to rebound through contact. Rock Oliver needs to drag these two into the weight room and make men out of them, because right now, they are playing like boys.
It was actually an enjoyable game to be at. Crowd got bored in the 2nd half, players got bored in the 2nd half, refs got bored in the 2nd half - the only one not to get bored in the 2nd half was Cal (based on his post game radio show) but he sure disguised his boredom well as he sat on his seat for at least 15 of the final 20 minutes.
I saw the same little mistakes I've witnessed all year...gotta get rid of those. I'm sure that will happen, or these boys will get ran to death.
I didn't get to watch Sad Heard on the radio the announcer said we got a good one going on in Rupp and began to freak out. To find out we killed them. lol