Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rick Majerus passes away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-has-died/

I always thought Marjerus was a good coach. He had over 500 career wins.

He coached at Utah forever, most recently at St Louis.

RIP.
He was a great ambassador for college basketball. He will be missed.
Hate to hear this. I always liked the big guy. I can't help but think that all those beatings at the hand of UK in the NCAA Tournament took some years off of his life. He was a great coach and seemed like a good guy.
Hate to see that. Rick Majerus is a great coach and probably one of the best to have not won an NCAA title. He had a great impact on every player he coached. RIP.
A guy that never got the high profile job but always took mid-level jobs and did great things with them.
Majerus was a miracle worker for college basketball programs. Great guy, great coach
The man was a class act. I certainly won't make light of his match-ups with the Pitino led Cats, in a negative tone after the man passes away. I actually respected the man and the way he represented his team and his school during his match-ups when the Cats and Utes had a few year rivalry. He took a lot of kids who no one wanted at the big schools and turned them into extremely talented teams. He battled his weight for as long as we ever saw him, which ultimately broke down his body. May he rest in peace.

[Image: RIP+copy.jpg]
Hate to hear this. He was always one of my favorite coaches. He seemed like a very nice genuine guy.
Stardust Wrote:The man was a class act. I certainly won't make light of his match-ups with the Pitino led Cats, in a negative tone after the man passes away. I actually respected the man and the way he represented his team and his school during his match-ups when the Cats and Utes had a few year rivalry. He took a lot of kids who no one wanted at the big schools and turned them into extremely talented teams. He battled his weight for as long as we ever saw him, which ultimately broke down his body. May he rest in peace.

[Image: RIP+copy.jpg]

Somehow I think he'd be fine with the joke about how having to play the Cats took years off of his life. He always had a great sense of humor and made a lot of jokes about himself in his press conferences after those games...

Did he ever get a house or did he always live in a hotel like he did at Utah?
Sad to hear the news of his passing. I remember I got his autobiography for Christmas in 2003. I loved it and from that day on I became a fan of his teams. I watched some of his last games at Utah, then followed Saint Louis. I am glad I got to see his final win when Saint Louis defeated Memphis in the NCAA Tournament. Truly one of the greats, RIP.
Stardust Wrote:The man was a class act. I certainly won't make light of his match-ups with the Pitino led Cats, in a negative tone after the man passes away. I actually respected the man and the way he represented his team and his school during his match-ups when the Cats and Utes had a few year rivalry. He took a lot of kids who no one wanted at the big schools and turned them into extremely talented teams. He battled his weight for as long as we ever saw him, which ultimately broke down his body. May he rest in peace.

Y'know Stardust I went back and read some more about Majerus to try and find some quotes that I remember him making about the UK games. One really stood out. When asked in 1999 about how his seasons kept ending with losses to UK in the NCAA tournament (Majerus finished his career 0-6 against UK under Pitino and Tubby--5 of those losses came in the tourney) this is how Majerus responded:

"When I die they may as well bury me at the finish line at Churchill Downs so they can run over me one more time..."

Now, do you think he'd take my post all that serious? I really liked the guy too..especially his sense of humor.
^That quote greatly shows his sense of humor. I understand your point and Dusty's both. I think Dusty was speaking more in the lines of helping prevent statements like, "who cares, UK always kicked his butt" and "UK coaches lost a punching bag today".
What a mysterious man. He was full of quotes and always was a great interview.

Seth Davis said it best: "He was the most happy, sad man he had ever known".

He, along with poor Digger Phelps never could seem to beat Kentucky.
My father was telling me stories of how funny he was. From interviews to doing television he was hilarious. I can barely remember the 1998 Utah team but I do know this man could coach. 25 years, 1 losing season. he turned SL around and almost beat Mich St last year in the 2nd round. Class Act.

RIP