Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Unionism gone round the bend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Imagine your teenage McDonald's employee with a union book.

"Ruth Milkman, a sociology professor at the City University of New York, said there had been so few efforts to unionize fast-food workers because it was such a daunting challenge.

These jobs have extremely high turnover, so by the time you get around to organizing folks, they’re not on the job anymore,” she said. Nonetheless, she said the new effort might gain traction because it is taking place in New York, a city with deep union roots where many workers are sympathetic to unions."
LINK--- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/nyregi....html?_r=0

What's next the paper boy?
^ If they get treated bad, they need a union. If not, they don't.
TheRealVille Wrote:^ If they get treated bad, they need a union. If not, they don't.

Yeah, I can't count the times one of the managers at McD's horsewhipped me when I was working my way through college. I ate good though
What would happen if every place in the US was unionized?

Hyper inflation and death.
^My point exactly. Unions do serve a viable service and function when it comes to skilled labor. Their apprenticeship programs are second to none and so are the craftsmen they train. Therefore in that regard labor unions provide a valuable service to the nation, very similar in scope to college grads in the professional fields. The notion however, that McDonald's workers could unionize is absurd and shows the sadly limited mindset of what passes as union leadership in today's world. For most, McD's is the first job they will ever hold in life and many are gone to other pastures in less than one year. It's like being president, our 'one' president is the most powerful man in the world. But, if everybody was president the title would mean nothing. Same with unions, the more folks we unionize, the more the unions they belong to will mean nothing. Just a way for people to unite their voices toward the obvious, they want more money and benefits. And like I said, union bosses the likes of Richard Trumka, think they will gain enough power to push even the federal government around.
^Agree.
The things Unions were intended for, and what they are, have become a bit mixed up over the years.

I remember heading to a certain railroad company a few years ago before being out of college while delivering a piece off a machine and when i got there, i was told it would be 15 minutes before the "guy who runs the forklift" got off lunch.
Looking at them, and the forklift right beside my truck, I said, is it to much trouble for one of you to do it? There response was, "Union wont let us, we have specific jobs, no more, no less"

I understand not wanting to do someone elses job, but cmon, a 20 second job of grabbing a forklift and unloading me was a little much.
When they turned me down, I slid my bed on my rollback down and let the part just tumble off.
I was asked not to return Confusednicker:
TheRealVille Wrote:^Agree.

Thanks RV, I appreciate your backing on this.