Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best 11?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would just like to get some opinions on the matter. Are you better playing your best 11 both ways or even if there is a small dropoff between some of the players are you better trying to just play kids 1 way? Obviously I know that if kids are pretty equal than you are better with 2 completely different units but what if there is a dropoff in talent between kid A and kid B. Do you think kid A who is a little fatigued is still a better answer than kid B who is a lesser player. Obviously some schools don't have a choice (most single A schools) and some have no problem fielding two seperate yet very good units (Highlands). Just curious about those schools somewhere in the middle. I'll give my opinion later.
Micro-Brew Wrote:I would just like to get some opinions on the matter. Are you better playing your best 11 both ways or even if there is a small dropoff between some of the players are you better trying to just play kids 1 way? Obviously I know that if kids are pretty equal than you are better with 2 completely different units but what if there is a dropoff in talent between kid A and kid B. Do you think kid A who is a little fatigued is still a better answer than kid B who is a lesser player. Obviously some schools don't have a choice (most single A schools) and some have no problem fielding two seperate yet very good units (Highlands). Just curious about those schools somewhere in the middle. I'll give my opinion later.

At first I did not like the 2 platoon system, but I am a big fan now. We have seen in many games where the other team can hang for one and a half quarters, and then become gassed and are steamed rolled the rest of the game. I do think some of it is also a better conditioning program than a lot of schools.
The catalyst in Belfry's run over the past decade has been playing as few two way players as possible, specifically on the Offensive and Defensive line. If you have a guy who physically can shoulder the load who is legitimately a game breaker on both sides of the ball, you have to play him.

I can't help but feel there is a direct and definitive correlation between teams who can platoon units and programs who have solid feeder systems and conditioning programs.
You hit on a good point there EKU when you said feeder programs. It starts at the bottom with developing as many kids as possible so as to when they reach the high school level there are more than 11 prepared to contribute. I like it for the fact that everyday in practice a kid can concentrate on his position. Say for example back to Kid A and B. Kid A is our starting RB and kid B is one of our starting corners well everyday whether its our Defense day or Offense day its is irrelevant. A and B re both getting double the reps at their respective positions. Your right also if you have a stud he's gotta be on the field but if there is a slight drop off it can be made up by those extra reps a kid sees during a normal weekly practice routine throughout a season. I love how Belfry has incorporated this the last decade. A kid may not be a great Corner, per say , as a freshman or sophomore but by the time he's a junior having played that position everyday in practice for 3 straight years, he evolves into a very capable player. You've developed another kid while resting another. Makes a ton of sense to me. At SStack, your guys second and third teams would wear out most teams you play on a given Friday night. It's a win win for your kids weekly to practice against a team of that caliber. No wonder the level you guys have achieved. Thanks for your input also.
You can get through a season with the 'short bench' and can win your district and make a couple of rounds in the playoffs. But the 'iron-11' approach is usually a downfall in the 2nd or 3rd week of the playoffs. 4th quarters are tough on teams with lots of players going both ways.