Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (3) Kentucky 72 - Maryland 69
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final
Just 2 things.

1st

REBOUND!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd

REBOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Polson saved Kentucky. If it wasn't for him Maryland would have won
Polson!
1st thing Cal needs to teach them in practice tomorrow.....BOX OUT!

I recommend having them take rebounding advice from film on Chuck Hayes. Man was the definition of boxing out.
Another thing is. TURNOVERS. Gotta limit those
and the big men i might get them to build me a house,from all those bricks they was shooting at the foul line,they really need work in that area.
I have to admit Polson looked like the best player on the court at times tonight.

With that said, if that holds up, dont expect to win the NC, much less play for it.
wtf? 3 points against maryland
This team set cruise control on the second half and it almost cost them.
Game Ball: These two men may be the unlikeliest and oddest couple ever to share the game ball at Kentucky in the last four years. But tonight, they do.

Kyle Wiltjer - He had 19 points and 6 rebounds to lead Kentucky. He played exactly the kind of game he needs to play in every respect but one -- he must rebound better. Defensively, he is never going to be great, but he was adequate tonight.

Jarrod Polson - In a word, he was simply amazing. He played like he had been starting for the Wildcats for two years at the point. He was confident, he played within himself, took advantage of opportunities, and played very good defense, much better than I expected. 10 points, 3 assists.

-----

Archie Goodwin - He had a very good game. He played out of control at times, and made some freshman mistakes, but I'll take this for a first performance under pressure. 16 points, 2 assists, 3 turnovers.

Willie Cauley-Stein - He was extraordinary in the first half, very much ordinary in the second. But he continues to show a polished offensive game, a strong defensive presence, and great hustle. 8 points, 6 rebounds 4 blocks.

Julius Mays - was adequate. He played within himself, made few mistakes, and did a good job of keeping the team calm. What he did not do well was what he is supposed to do well -- shoot the basketball. 7 points on 3 of 10 shooting, 2 steals.

Nerlens Noel - He was barely adequate. He had a team high 9 rebounds, but he got buried under the basket literally dozens of times, and allowed Alex Len to completely dominate him in every measurable way. He made two critical plays at the end of the game that were arguably responsible for preserving the victory -- a poke-away under the basket that led to foul shots, and a hustle play on an offensive rebound that led to foul shots. 4 points, 9 rebounds, 2 steals and 3 blocks.

Ryan Harrow - When you are taken out in favor of a former walk-on, even a walk on that has rightfully earned a scholarship and is much better than expected, that's all you need to know. Harrow lacks confidence, does not communicate with his teammates, and plays as though he's scared to be out there. If he doesn't develop some confidence, he'd better get used to the bench. Harrow was 0-4 with 2 assists.

Alex Poythress. - He clearly hasn't learned how to play this game at the college level yet. Alex has mad skills, and we saw them once or twice, but mostly we saw players blow by him on the way to the rim. He did have 8 rebounds and 8 points, but he didn't play a good game.
Didnt expect this game to be this close. Give them time.
I was screaming at my TV because of Turnovers and Rebounds. Kentucky needs to rebound! We don't have Anthony Davis this year, but we do have some guys that should be able to rebound.

They looked nervous, and that is why I think they had so many turnovers. Oh well, we did pull off a win. I am glad of that.

They need to play better than that to even think about repeating, or even beating Duke this tuesday.. They have the talent, they just are young and need to do the simple stuff like rebounding and not committing turnovers.
It is November. Look back at the last 3 years and the games played early.
A win is a win. The young players have to get used to the more physical nature of college basketball. Play to the whistle. They were standing around waiting for the whistle. Polson Confusedinglepar
So far, Noel is proving me right.
I hate Ryan Harrow lol
I fell asleep in the 2nd half but I am very impressed with the potential that the Cats showed in the first half. With only one player returning who played significant minutes last season, I did not expect much in their first game. After watching them last night, I think that UK has as good of a shot of winning the title this season as anybody if they work as hard on their weaknesses as Cal's previous teams have.

Polson's performance was a shock to me and it relieves some of my worries that this team may not be deep enough to take home the big trophy this season. Polson has obviously been working hard in practice while riding the bench during games. As for Harrow, I was not expecting him to even play last night, and I think he deserves the benefit of doubt and a pass for his performance last night.
Noel didn't impress me at all, granted it was his first game, so I'll give him a little time but in the end I believe Will Cauley-Stein will be better.
IMO this team won't be a legitimate top ten team until the heart of the SEC schedule. But they will get there, way to talented not to.
It's pretty pathetic we gave up 50+ when we have a combined height 14ft of big men patrolling the paint.
KY is very talented, that's a given, and this is the first game of the year against a quality opponent in Maryland. I have plenty of confidence these problems and mistakes will be fixed. This is what November and December is for, finding yourself, and adjusting.
Cal did what he said he would....sit Harrow on the bench for sucking.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Cal did what he said he would....sit Harrow on the bench for sucking.

i though Harrow was sup2 to be the man this year, and as for Noel,he better get better quite,he didnt look like a number 1 player to me...
I'll give Harrow the benefit of the doubt since he was playing under the weather. I know he's probably the worst Cal PG just.....Washington Jr? But I have faith he can run the offense efficiently and get it done on the defensive end. And if not, I would LOVE to see Polson get more PT. He's fearless and and IMO it's earned. He won't win you many games(but Maryland lol), but he wont lose you any games either.
Polson is going to be a pretty good help for the cats this year!
Ledo Wrote:Polson is going to be a pretty good help for the cats this year!
IMO Jarrod Polson is the best pg on this team right now and will be all year! He is very fundamentally sound, he's a great ball handler, he is more atheletic than people realize, he is very strong and he has the heart of a champion! He is also the only kid on the team from the state of Ky that can play the game! Cal knows these things also and it will show more and more as the year goes along...
Because of their lackluster game with Maryland, should we be concerned about the Duke game?

I am...
Aslan Wrote:I'll give Harrow the benefit of the doubt since he was playing under the weather. I know he's probably the worst Cal PG just.....Washington Jr? But I have faith he can run the offense efficiently and get it done on the defensive end. And if not, I would LOVE to see Polson get more PT. He's fearless and and IMO it's earned. He won't win you many games(but Maryland lol), but he wont lose you any games either.

I would have told him to sit on the bench until he cuts that nappy high-top haircut he has.
I know he wants to be cool like his thug-nasty teammate Nerlens but gimme a break lol
AS everyone rightly points out the rebounding was poor. But it's also
EASILY correctable. It's not that they were getting beat on the
board, or weren't boxing out. Thye jsut COULDN'T box out because
everyone was contesting the shot at the same time. Don't foresee
this being a problem long term as Stein, Poythress and Noel get
used to playing together. They'll figure it out like Cuz and Paterson
and Co. did, and as Davis and Jones and Co. did. Once only the
engaged defender is blocking the shot, it will be tough to rebound
against this team.
M'boroYellowJacket Wrote:I was screaming at my TV because of Turnovers and Rebounds. Kentucky needs to rebound! We don't have Anthony Davis this year, but we do have some guys that should be able to rebound.

They looked nervous, and that is why I think they had so many turnovers. Oh well, we did pull off a win. I am glad of that.

They need to play better than that to even think about repeating, or even beating Duke this tuesday.. They have the talent, they just are young and need to do the simple stuff like rebounding and not committing turnovers.

I missed most of the 10 minutes of Maryland's comeback so can't
comment on that, but to me, most of the to's I saw seemed to come
from being complacent, not nervous. Wiltjer just flat went to
sleep on a couple. And they looked pretty composed at the
end, pulling our a win.
Pages: 1 2