Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 52 Ashland 13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final
Cant wait to hear the post game analysis from NotsoBADCAT.
Care to give us any analysis from the beat down on Paintsville?
FBALL Wrote:Care to give us any analysis from the beat down on Paintsville?

Played a better team. That good enough?:biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:Played a better team. That good enough?:biggrin:

Good enough. :devilflam
No contest. No surprise. FTH piddled around for a half and then decided to play a bit. Add to this the thumping CovCath gave Johnson Central and you can see why we to the north don't take teams from the east seriously.
Highlands committed three first half turnovers, two interceptions in the end zone and a fumble by the QB, but still lead 16-13 at the half.

Ashland did play a good first half, holding Highlands to just two scores. They had one sustained drive for their first TD and one long run for the second TD. They went for 2 on the second TD but were denied.

In the second half, Highlands showed why they are Highlands. Ashland players were gassed halfway thru the third qtr.

You cannot have as many players playing both ways as Ashland had and expect to stay with Highlands. Highlands has no player playing both ways. Highlands' kickoff unit does not appear to have any starting D players on the unit.
I noticed late in the first half that the Cats were getting gassed, running on pure adrenalin. It is hard to maintain that after taking the break. Highlands offense wears out the opposition's defense by running four or more fresh players in on every play. Then half of those defensive players have to turn around and play offensive.
game was way closer, similar to Highlands v Boyle.
Ashland was a very tough, well disciplined football club. Just too many kids going bothways to take the birds the whole game. Fresh they matched up good and coach had a great plan.
Any stats on this game yet?
Nice job tomcats you said you were gonna make them play 4 quarters and you did. Proud of the heart and pride you played with. We were beat up an injury ridden and you stilled played with the #1 team in the state. Proud to be a tomcat today.
Can anyone out there stop highlands this year???
Man, Ashland's lines were good!! They come at you. I don't know why Ashland's coach decided to go with the screen passes and tosses, as running it up the middle out of that 2 tight set was killing us. I'm not going to lie about that. I'm done trolling because there are some hurt kids tonight and nobody deserves to have mud slung at them after their last high school game. Congratulations on an accomplished season.

And, the same to Boyd County, who I forgot to mention last week. They had a good season as well.

On to Cov Cath. I'd love to see a running clock.
Congrats to HIGHLANDS on the win!
Congrats TOMCATS on making them have to earn it.
It seemed we changed the gameplan somewhat in the second half not running Younge nearly enough in the second half. 4th string rb Massey earned his stripes these last 4 games since Baker an Jackson went down. While he's not a banging run you over running back he's very dangerous if he gets a little space needless to say the space wasn't there the second half an that's eh6 I didn't understand why they didnt run Younge more withe trap it was working first half. Then they went to Massey mostly in the second half?
It was a great effort by the Tomcats proud of these guys they weren't intimidated by the Highlands Juggernaut they came an lined up an made it interesting for the better part of 2 1/2
Quarters midway through the 3rd you could see it was over Ashland was just simply worn out by the depth of Highlands.
Again Congrats to highlands its easy to see why there's 21 state titles hanging at the gate.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...ck_check=1

Senior quarterback Donovan McCoy tallied 357 total yards (225 passing, 132 rushing), ran for a touchdown and threw for another as the Bluebirds coasted in the 4A region semifinal.

The Tomcats led the game 13-8 in the second quarter, but Highlands went on to score 44 unanswered points en route to the victory.

The Bluebird defense locked down Ashland Blazer’s passing attack all night long, holding the Tomcats to a total of minus-9 yards through the air. Junior running back Zach Harris also added a pair of touchdown runs for Highlands. The Bluebirds move on to face Covington Catholic next Friday night at home in the Class 4A regional final.

Ashland Blazer 7 6 0 0 13
Highlands 8 8 22 14 52

A- Elam 10 run (Patrick kick)

H- Harris 7 run (Hergott pass from McCoy)

A- Youngue 66 run (pass failed)

H- McCoy 4 run (McCoy run)

H- Harris 8 pass from McCoy (McCoy run)

H- Harris 2 run (Brockett kick)

H- Seidl 8 run (Brockett kick)

H- Hayes 3 run (Brockett kick)

H- Grau 2 run (Bleser kick)

Records: H 11-1, A 9-3.
LazyBoy Wrote:Can anyone out there stop highlands this year???

A tough CovCath team that's peaking at the right time, but lacks a running game? A Boyle County squad that might be somewhat down on talent this year, but is always dangerous in the same way Johnson Central has been in the past few years? A LexCath squad that's seemingly recovered from the shock of losing their stud QB? A Highlands team that tends to turn the ball over at critical times might be your best bet. We'll see on Friday.
I think Ashland changed because highlands change. What killed us wa lack of speed to defend the screen pass. Thank you wideright for the compliment our line has been a strength all year. I'm proud of the improvement out program has made since the last time we played highland. I feel like we showed Ashland could play with anyone tonight especially if healthy. Congrats birds you have alot of talent. Especially the running back #4 I think? Enjoyed my time in NKY moerlein lager house in Cincy and hofbrahaus were both absolutely amazing. Just wanted to thank everyone in the area for there hospitality.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I think Ashland changed because highlands change. What killed us wa lack of speed to defend the screen pass. Thank you wideright for the compliment our line has been a strength all year. I'm proud of the improvement out program has made since the last time we played highland. I feel like we showed Ashland could play with anyone tonight especially if healthy. Congrats birds you have alot of talent. Especially the running back #4 I think? Enjoyed my time in NKY moerlein lager house in Cincy and hofbrahaus were both absolutely amazing. Just wanted to thank everyone in the area for there hospitality.

I sat around the Ashland fans and have to say they were very friendly people, had a good time talking to them.
I was their and was proud of both teams and their fans. Nice people and good sportsmanship by both teams. Ashland was wore out at half-time. If they could have been leading at half maybe but FTH wore us out with depth. Ashland is going to have to play more kids. What good is having 75 if you only play 22. Oh well congrats to FTH and congrats to the Tomcats.
Wise one Wrote:Highlands committed three first half turnovers, two interceptions in the end zone and a fumble by the QB, but still lead 16-13 at the half.

Ashland did play a good first half, holding Highlands to just two scores. They had one sustained drive for their first TD and one long run for the second TD. They went for 2 on the second TD but were denied.

In the second half, Highlands showed why they are Highlands. Ashland players were gassed halfway thru the third qtr.

You cannot have as many players playing both ways as Ashland had and expect to stay with Highlands. Highlands has no player playing both ways. Highlands' kickoff unit does not appear to have any starting D players on the unit.

Good recap wise...was surprised as to why Ashland left running between the tackles in the second half. Good adjustments by Highlands and iron man football led to the Tomcats demise. There was a clear shift in momentum in the third quarter. Out platooning your opponent has its benefits!

Congrats to the Birds on the win and to the Tomcats for hanging tough for a half.

Looking forward to a Bird-Blue Colonel rematch next week.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:No contest. No surprise. FTH piddled around for a half and then decided to play a bit. Add to this the thumping CovCath gave Johnson Central and you can see why we to the north don't take teams from the east seriously.
Harry, that is the kind of attitude that makes it impossible for most people in Kentucky to root for Highlands no matter who they play. CovCath snapped a three-game losing streak to Johnson Central last night and some of Highland's most competitive in-state games over the past few seasons have been against JC. If "we" in the north don't take teams from the east seriously, then some of "we" should not take themselves seriously either. I think by "we," you mean Highlands fans, because I am pretty sure that most fans from Covington Catholic, Dixie, Scott, and Holmes do not share your attitude toward teams in the east.

Both Ashland and Johnson Central will beat Highlands at some point - it is just a matter of time.
LazyBoy Wrote:Can anyone out there stop highlands this year???

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, Trinity is in 6A.

After this score, I don't see much hope for the 4A teams left. I think the winner of the Lex Cath/Boyle Co game will be the best challenge, but I see HHS winning that game by 3TD's. Just give them the rings and save the gas money for all the schools this season.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Harry, that is the kind of attitude that makes it impossible for most people in Kentucky to root for Highlands no matter who they play. CovCath snapped a three-game losing streak to Johnson Central last night and some of Highland's most competitive in-state games over the past few seasons have been against JC. If "we" in the north don't take teams from the east seriously, then some of "we" should not take themselves seriously either. I think by "we," you mean Highlands fans, because I am pretty sure that most fans from Covington Catholic, Dixie, Scott, and Holmes do not share your attitude toward teams in the east.

Both Ashland and Johnson Central will beat Highlands at some point - it is just a matter of time.

Sounds good to me, Hoot. Never give up.
Also wanted to say. The community around the school was extremely nice. I can see why so many people want to live there and send there kids to highlands. Top notch facilities,top notch neighborhood,and top notch academics. Probably my favorite place I have visited in my time following tomcat football
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Harry, that is the kind of attitude that makes it impossible for most people in Kentucky to root for Highlands no matter who they play. CovCath snapped a three-game losing streak to Johnson Central last night and some of Highland's most competitive in-state games over the past few seasons have been against JC. If "we" in the north don't take teams from the east seriously, then some of "we" should not take themselves seriously either. I think by "we," you mean Highlands fans, because I am pretty sure that most fans from Covington Catholic, Dixie, Scott, and Holmes do not share your attitude toward teams in the east.

All they have to do is be able to support a 2 platoon team. JC and Ash can obviously play with them in the first half. Or you could get an x-marine to train them so they dont get gassed. We dont have magical water in Ft Thomas just a boatload of kids that buy in. (they all want rings like their older brothers)
birdman44 Wrote:All they have to do is be able to support a 2 platoon team. JC and Ash can obviously play with them in the first half. Or you could get an x-marine to train them so they dont get gassed. We dont have magical water in Ft Thomas just a boatload of kids that buy in. (they all want rings like their older brothers)

I normally do not thread hop but saw this. I am a JC fan and Cov Cath totally dominated us tonight, no excuses. I was thinking after the game that the east will have to change to beat the north. Our kids are just as talented, we have just as good facilites, just as much money, but player numbers due tell going down the stretch. In addtion, we need to update our total schemes. Cov Cath was better at the skill positions and executed much better than us. We have to catch up with that.

We have beaten Cov Cath in the past and played competitively with Highlands, but to pass them we will have to modernize our game plans and do a better job of execution. Having a two platoon system is a must as well. We can complain all we want to, up north is just doing a better job.
MonsterMan Wrote:I normally do not thread hop but saw this. I am a JC fan and Cov Cath totally dominated us tonight, no excuses. I was thinking after the game that the east will have to change to beat the north. Our kids are just as talented, we have just as good facilites, just as much money, but player numbers due tell going down the stretch. In addtion, we need to update our total schemes. Cov Cath was better at the skill positions and executed much better than us. We have to catch up with that.

We have beaten Cov Cath in the past and played competitively with Highlands, but to pass them we will have to modernize our game plans and do a better job of execution. Having a two platoon system is a must as well. We can complain all we want to, up north is just doing a better job.

I totally agree with you except the fact about the facilities. JC's facilities are much much better than Highlands. JC has been a fun team to play, keep up the hard work and how about working on that passing game a little more.
I think I said 40....
FORT THOMAS — For a quarter and a half Friday, Ashland's football team maybe dreamed the impossible.

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...-Highlands
As a final post, I want to say that the Ashland team and fans handled themselves in an admirable fashion Friday. Those with whom I had contact at the game were respectful and polite. They were also partisan- as should be the case. I found the same to be true in Johnson County when FTH played Johnson Central last year.

It is difficult to win in football when you don't have the numbers and a bit less talent. Kentucky finds that out when they play Alabama, Florida, or LSU.

I tip my FTH fedora to both schools.
Pages: 1 2