Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bobby Petrino Interested in Kentucky Head Coaching Job
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to KSR's report Petrino misses coaching and wants to be in the SEC. Also Petrino has interest in the UK job. I can handle picking up Petrino as a coach.
Gut is going to be a smiling man when he sees this
He will be even more smiling if Kentucky hires him. Hell I bet he'd even be right there to welcome Petrino to BBN when he arrives, if he does.
Gut would glady shake Petrino's hand when he first touched foot in Lexington. I have to side with Gut on this though. Petrino is a better coach than most of the names mentioned. Petrino can get you to the Sugar Bowl instead of the Sweet 'N' Low Bowl.
Only if Kirby Smart says no would I even consider Petrino. So is everyone good with Petrino coaching two years and then taking off? The man cannot sit still....he's a proven flyer.

UK needs a five year commitment and a good blue chip recruiter. I don't see Petrino providing either after getting Mr. Happy caught in the nepotistic cookie jar. He'll recruit well in the SEC, but not as well as Smart will with his resume!

I can see Petrino coming to UK considering his lay off from coaching and UKs subpar facilities. They can tolerate each other and probably land him at a discount. Petrino can prove he can still coach and UK can upgrade facilities over a 2 year plan.

I still think Smart is the guy to get this program elevated quickly, effectively, and bowl eligible in two years. Plus he has a loyal track record.
BOOM!!!!!

Told ya it was coming :biggrin:
HawksRule Wrote:Gut is going to be a smiling man when he sees this

I am, all joking and heckling aside, IMHO, Petrino is the only man for the job.
We know for FACT that Petrino can recruit and win in the SEC.
None of the other coaches mentioned can do that. He is a defensive genius that will get us there and thats what you need in this league.
If they hire Petrino, i will renew my season tickets the next day.
It could take him 2-3 years, but after that he will have UK at the top of the SEC East on a regular basis, and will even win a few East titles if he hangs around for 10-15 years.
I wouldnt be worried about him leaving. No other big program will take him, he's already realized the NFL is not for him, and he wants to be in the premier league.

I hope that you all will join me in hoping this happens. In his first 2-3 years he will be building and you will see progress, with the other guys, you will see more of Joker.
he hasn't been hired yet just said he was interested.............Now if Mitch and the President hires him you can say boom told ya it was come Big Grin hahahahaha

In all seriousness if Petrino does get hired I hope he brings Neal Brown on as the OC or Oregon's OC.
Strikeout King Wrote:He will be even more smiling if Kentucky hires him. Hell I bet he'd even be right there to welcome Petrino to BBN when he arrives, if he does.

You bet i will!
Strikeout King Wrote:he hasn't been hired yet just said he was interested.............Now if Mitch and the President hires him you can say boom told ya it was come Big Grin

The BOOM! was for you all saying UK wouldnt even consider him and there was no chance of him wanting the job.

Funny how things work out.

Trust me, i know im wrong A LOT! But when it comes to UK's football coaching miscues, ive called them everytime thus far.

Barnhart knows this is the only option. Expect the world to not only complain about Cal cheating every year, but about Petrino being at UK and how he is scum.

Good part about that though is, we will be winning.
President has to approve first.....May not because of the track record....All we can do is play the waiting game......I will say this tho the two games that I've heard a lot about the job are Sonny Dykes and David Cutcliffe....sure their's others but I haven't heard their name mention as much as I have Dykes and Cutcliffe......If Tennessee comes open, all signs point to that way, I look for Cutcliffe to go there. We just have to wait and see.....I do feel however that Kentucky will pull the trigger on a quick hire because they know if they wait too long some of the candidates won't be available.

IMHO I don't see Kentucky hiring Petrino. The President has to approve the hiring of any coach and with Petrino's track record and the President being an academics guy, I just don't see him approving Petrino. Could be wrong but for now I just don't see it
I dont believe they'll hire Petrino either, but if they want to win, they better.

With Dykes or Cutliff, UK wins 10 games at most over the next 4 years.
Just because he's desperate for a job and is interested in UK doesn't mean the same is true in reverse.
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...29/rsslink

Haha.

Mommy and Daddy are now begging to give little Bobby a chance. Yeah, this is the guy you want.
Hire him now, let him get his new girlfriend established before he has to get out and recruit, and let's get this program turned around. No motorcycles Wink
I actually would be OK if they hired Petrino.....Gut is right in that he can coach in the SEC and for him to get another high profile job he would have to do wonders here to make up for his mishaps.

However, with the Billy G. coaching mistake, I am sure Barnhart will not be so quick to hire just anybody.
Petrino is only priming the pump for the UT/Auburn bidding war. I would love to have him but it will be very difficult with other open SEC jobs. The only way to make it happen is to get it done before those jobs open. If UK wants Petrino they need to go go full speed ahead. Our negotiating position changes greatly when other suiters get into the game.
Pros and Cons of Bobby Petrino

Bobby Petrino’s father’s comments to the Courier-Journal about his son being interested in the Kentucky job have set off a firestorm in the fanbase. From the reaction so far, it appears fans are equally divided when it comes to whether or not they want Petrino as coach. While we wait for rumors of private jets heading to Lexington and horse farm real estate deals, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of hiring Petrino. First up…

THE FACTS
– Here are Bobby Petrino Sr.’s comments to the Courier-Journal’s Adam Himmelsbach:
“I know he wants a job; he needs a job. He told me, ‘I need a job, Dad.’ I said, ‘Well, you must still have some money. You made 31/2 million dollars.’ And he said, ‘Yeah, I do. It’s not the money.’ He just misses coaching so much.”

“I just know this, that he’s interested in Kentucky. He wants to stay in the SEC. That was his life’s goal was to go to the SEC.”

“I think he’d win [at Kentucky]. He can win. He’s proven that. He went to Arkansas and I don’t think he ever had, by the experts, a class of recruiting that was in the top 10. And the last year he coached there he won 11 games, and the year before that he won 10, so he has his own way of recruiting and judging people.”

“He told me he might take the first job he gets offered. Of course, I’m his dad and he’s my son, so I believe in him.”

PROS
– Undeniably talented. One of the best offensive minds in the game. He has won big at every college job he’s had. Petrino may be the most talented coach Kentucky could land right now.
– Wants a job now, may be desperate enough to come to Kentucky
– A known name that brings excitement and recognition to the program
– Has proven that he can bring instant results. Here are his records as a head coach at the college level:

Louisville
2003: 9–4
2004: 11–1
2005: 9–3
2006: 12–1

Arkansas
2008: 5–7
2009: 8–5
2010: 10–3
2011: 11–2
– Knows the Kentucky area from his time at Louisville, understands how to recruit in the SEC
– No NCAA issues
– Seems remorseful? For the first time in his career, reached out to his former players at Arkansas after being fired to apologize. In an interview with ESPN, he further apologized for his actions and seemed to be taking the right steps to rehab his image.

CONS
– Is he really interested in Kentucky or were the comments by his father a red herring to prod Auburn or other SEC schools to make him an offer?
– Ethically, a total trainwreck. See: Jessica Dorrell.
– Has a history of putting himself first.
– Has left every program he’s coached in shambles.
– Is notoriously hard to work for and with.
– Might leave Kentucky after two or three years for a better job.
– It is widely understood that Mitch Barnhart has reservations about hiring him.
– Has a track record of trash talking the Cats during his time at Louisville, including the infamous “Louisville 28, Slapd!cks nothing. I f*&$ing love it, those little smurfs didn’t even score a point” comment after Louisville’ win over UK in 2004.

THE QUESTIONS
– Would you be willing to roll the dice on Bobby Petrino if it meant the Cats would win big?
– Will Barnhart even consider it?
– Are Bobby Petrino Sr.’s comments sincere or a ploy to get an offer from Auburn or other SEC schools?
– Would the scandal at Arkansas hurt him when it comes to recruiting?
– How long would Petrino stick around if he did come here?

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=121369
Bobby Petrino camp NOT HAPPY that word got out that he's interested in Kentucky job

WHAS sports anchor Kent Spencer spoke to a member of the Petrino camp this morning, and apparently they’re not too pleased with Bobby Petrino Sr. for his comments to the Courier-Journal last night:

Quote:
Quote:Kent Spencer@KentSpencer
Talked to a member of the Petrino camp this morning.... They are not happy info got out he's interested in UK.
8 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Quote:Kent Spencer@KentSpencer
My take: They didn't want to rock the boat.
8 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Spin or legit?

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=121376
Just by looking at your list, the CONS out weigh the PROS which makes me still think that he will never step on campus.
Here is another tweet from Kent Spencer about the Petrino Camp not being happy.

Quote:Kent Spencer ‏@KentSpencer
@chipcosby The plan was not to talk... I think a little shocked somebody called Dad.
View conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
With the possibility of there being 3 head coaching jobs in the SEC, I think he is getting his name out there to stir up some publicity.
Strikeout King Wrote:Pros and Cons of Bobby Petrino

Bobby Petrino’s father’s comments to the Courier-Journal about his son being interested in the Kentucky job have set off a firestorm in the fanbase. From the reaction so far, it appears fans are equally divided when it comes to whether or not they want Petrino as coach. While we wait for rumors of private jets heading to Lexington and horse farm real estate deals, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of hiring Petrino. First up…

THE FACTS
– Here are Bobby Petrino Sr.’s comments to the Courier-Journal’s Adam Himmelsbach:
“I know he wants a job; he needs a job. He told me, ‘I need a job, Dad.’ I said, ‘Well, you must still have some money. You made 31/2 million dollars.’ And he said, ‘Yeah, I do. It’s not the money.’ He just misses coaching so much.”

“I just know this, that he’s interested in Kentucky. He wants to stay in the SEC. That was his life’s goal was to go to the SEC.”

“I think he’d win [at Kentucky]. He can win. He’s proven that. He went to Arkansas and I don’t think he ever had, by the experts, a class of recruiting that was in the top 10. And the last year he coached there he won 11 games, and the year before that he won 10, so he has his own way of recruiting and judging people.”

“He told me he might take the first job he gets offered. Of course, I’m his dad and he’s my son, so I believe in him.”

PROS
– Undeniably talented. One of the best offensive minds in the game. He has won big at every college job he’s had. Petrino may be the most talented coach Kentucky could land right now.
– Wants a job now, may be desperate enough to come to Kentucky
– A known name that brings excitement and recognition to the program
– Has proven that he can bring instant results. Here are his records as a head coach at the college level:

Louisville
2003: 9–4
2004: 11–1
2005: 9–3
2006: 12–1

Arkansas
2008: 5–7
2009: 8–5
2010: 10–3
2011: 11–2
– Knows the Kentucky area from his time at Louisville, understands how to recruit in the SEC
– No NCAA issues
– Seems remorseful? For the first time in his career, reached out to his former players at Arkansas after being fired to apologize. In an interview with ESPN, he further apologized for his actions and seemed to be taking the right steps to rehab his image.

CONS
– Is he really interested in Kentucky or were the comments by his father a red herring to prod Auburn or other SEC schools to make him an offer?
– Ethically, a total trainwreck. See: Jessica Dorrell.
– Has a history of putting himself first.
– Has left every program he’s coached in shambles.
– Is notoriously hard to work for and with.
– Might leave Kentucky after two or three years for a better job.
– It is widely understood that Mitch Barnhart has reservations about hiring him.
– Has a track record of trash talking the Cats during his time at Louisville, including the infamous “Louisville 28, Slapd!cks nothing. I f*&$ing love it, those little smurfs didn’t even score a point” comment after Louisville’ win over UK in 2004.

THE QUESTIONS
– Would you be willing to roll the dice on Bobby Petrino if it meant the Cats would win big?
– Will Barnhart even consider it?
– Are Bobby Petrino Sr.’s comments sincere or a ploy to get an offer from Auburn or other SEC schools?
– Would the scandal at Arkansas hurt him when it comes to recruiting?
– How long would Petrino stick around if he did come here?

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=121369

and yet you still want this guy as your coach RIUTG? Please read the CONS before posting. After reading those, their's no way in hell I'd want him.
Mitch Barnhart has said BBN has no interest in Coach Petrino. Email him and tell him you feel different and demand atleast coach petrino gets a fair interview. I DID!!!!!!!

[email]mbarn@uky.edu[/email]
One year of Petrino pulls the program out of the basement enough that someone else might want it when BP leaves. As bad as that sounds it is true.
This thread should have been titled, " Petrinos Dad interested in UK position for his son !"

I agree with Kings red herring theory to motivate other SEC teams to reach out to the Petrino camp. Which by the way are esctatic about all this. Upset my hind end. Good politicking on Pops part...
This guy can flat out coach and win.
He can nail all the coeds he wants, but as dusty said, no motorcycles.
My responses King:
THE QUESTIONS

No, we can win big with another i.e. Kirby Smart

– Will Barnhart even consider it? Yes, he should consider, it's his job to do so. Doesn't mean he has to pursue or offer Petrino.

– Are Bobby Petrino Sr.’s comments sincere or a ploy to get an offer from Auburn or other SEC schools? Great ploy and I'm sure many in a similar situation would do the same to gauge interest market wide.

– Would the scandal at Arkansas hurt him when it comes to recruiting? He'll still recruit well just not as well as before. So yes the Arkansas scandal will hurt him, but not much.

– How long would Petrino stick around if he did come here? Two years then he exits stage right to a better program opportunity.

Why commit to a flyer when we can get a great program builder who will get us bowl eligible in 2-3 years and is loyal as long as he gets paid what the market will bare. Which every great program has to do anyway.

The man can't stand UK to begin with...see above King Cons from 2004 when he coached at UofL. I suppose we would give Laettner the keys to Rupp also. UK deserves better than Petrino.