Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Magoffin County's Strength of Schedule...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I mean what is the point of just scheduling some of the worst teams in the state year in and year out just to have a winning record? Magoffin will never be a true contender with this kind of scheduling and attitude that you dont have to play good teams, but rather just run up a decent record. I remember last season they were all saying how great they were and someone posted some stats on how bad the teams they played were. This year is 10x worse. Nothing to proud of at all if they do finish with a winning record because this schedule is pathetic...

They have beaten Menifee County twice. Menifee Co. is 1-20
They beat Betsy Layne who is 7-15, and is a lot worse than when the season began.
They beat Elliot County three times. Elliot County is 2-18. Why in the world would you schedule them 3 times?
They beat South Floyd who is 1-12
Jackson City who is 4-10, and yes they have them twice more on the schedule
A 6-12 West Carter team.
And a 1-16 Rose Hill team.

The combined record of the teams they beat is 22-103. You read that correct ladies and gentlemen. 22-103. A winning percentage of 17%! I just think it's a joke for a coach to do that, and not have any decent teams on the schedule. Magoffin will never get better with this mentality and atttitude that it's ok to play the worst teams from around the state just as long as you win a few games. If I see any Magoffin person bragging after the season about how they finished with a winning record I'll lose my mind. Because that schedule is probably the biggest joke in the state of Kentucky.
Magoffin county has traditionally been one of the worst programs in the eastern ky. They have struggled to beat anyone for years. They have never had any support from anyone in the county. That has slowly changed over the last three years. Their has been a groundswell of support from the local little league all the way through to the new high school principal. They currently have over 500 hundred kids in their local little league. Which is currently working hand in hand with the high school coach to develop fundementally sound players. This has never really happened before. This years current high school team has 12 freshman on the team, 6 of which start, that came from the current league. Now any coach worth his salt will tell you that if you are to turn around one of the worst programs in the history of the 15th region, you first have to build a foundation, which is your little league program, or you will never get the players you need. The second thing that must be done is to change the culture of losing. The program must expect to win everytime they step on the field. You dont do that in the early stages of a massive building, I wont say rebuilding because they never have had anything, effort by going out and playing teams that you know are going to kick your teeth in. You must learn how to win, against teams that you should always win against. You then must take that momentum of winning and build your programs confidence up to the point where they can begin beating the better teams. This is a very slow and gradual process. Yea, some of the teams that are on their schedule arent the strongest teams in the world, but look at how Magoffin is beating them. Three years ago, magoffin was getting killed by these teams. Now they are doing what they have never done before, they are beating the teams that they should beat. Now as for the talent of these young players, they do have potential. I watched them play sheldon clark to the brink twice, and to be honest with you, they should have beaten them twice, but made too many mistakes in the field. Now if magoffin had the tradition of pikeville and johnson central some of these teams would never be on the schedule, but magoffin doesnt have that and that is what they are striving for and they have done a good job taking the first two steps of building a good foundation, and getting rid of a losing culture and expecting to win every time they take the field, now the next step is to up the competition and start beating some of the better programs. That step is coming. But remember rome wasnt built in a day and magoffin counties other male sports havent necessarily been tearing it up either. Every boys program over there has the same problem right now. so before you go bashing the whole program, think about where the program was for nearly 3 decades, and where it is now. Its a vast improvement, and if they stay on plan and keep the little league going the way it is and keep this group of freshman together this is definitly a program that is on the rise. But dont bash unless you know the history and what the game plan for correcting that history is.
I have nothing but confidence in the new Principal's ability to whip things into shape for Magoffin County. I applaude the previous post by BRM. Well said! I look forward to seeing the day when all teams in the 57th are competitive and willing to seed the tournament!
what is Magoffin Co record so far
11-8
were now 12-8. we just beat Knott Central
we beat knott central 7 to 4