Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 41 Ashland 16 (Freshmen Kiwanis Bowl)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final Congratulations on an undefeated season young Devils:Clap:
A nightmare on Elm Street.
Mitch Redden should have shared defensive player of the game with Sammy.

Conley named offensive player of the game.

Its a shame McKee tweaked an ankle on that first series.
Mitch did awesome along with Sammy. Sammy may have edged him a lil but I'm sure it wasn't by much.
Russell gave up a couple of long drives, I didn't like that. But they made a great goal line stand as time ran out in the first half. Pretty had a few nice runs but was mostly contained. Russell pretty much did what they wanted to most of the nite. The passing was a little off, don't know if it had to do with Mckees foot or not. Russell just dominated
Russell gave up a couple of long drives, I didn't like that. But they made a great goal line stand as time ran out in the first half. Pruett had a few nice runs but was mostly contained. Russell pretty much did what they wanted to most of the nite. The passing was a little off, don't know if it had to do with Mckees foot or not. Russell just dominated
Russell Dominated dont even think Bob Kouns could have helped us tonight
By MARK MAYNARD The Independent
ASHLAND — Russell’s freshman put an exclamation point on their first undefeated season in more than 20 years.
The Red Devils defeated Ashland 41-16 in the 61st annual Kiwanis Bowl on Thursday night at Putnam Stadium. Five different players scored touchdowns to put the finishing touches on an 8-0 season – the first perfect record since 1991.
“This is a great team, with the emphasis on team,” said Russell coach Buford Hurley, still wet from a dunking the players gave him near the game’s end. “They worked hard in the offseason and stayed together as a group.
“They bought into what we were doing. We started a new weight program and it paid off for them.”
The Red Devils snapped a three-game Kiwanis Bowl losing streak and scored their most points since 2004 in the rivalry game that was in its 34th year. The previous Kiwanis Bowl games were between Ashland junior highs Coles and Putnam. Ashland and Russell started playing in 1979.
Eighth-grader Nick Conley scored a pair of first-half touchdowns as Russell sprinted to a 20-0 halftime lead. A late goal-line stand kept momentum on Russell’s side.
“Absolutely the key to the game,” Hurley said of the stand. “It’s right before the half and then they get the ball to start the second half. That was a big difference in the game.”
Instead of cutting into the lead, the Tomcats ran out of time at the one-yard line despite getting an extra down.
Conley put the Red Devils ahead with a 68-yard sprint to the end zone in the first quarter. He scored again on a 1-yard run after a bad snap put Russell on Ashland’s 12-yard line. Quarterback Jacob McKee made it 20-0 on an 11-yard keeper and a two-point conversion pass to Landon Brewer, another eighth-grader.
“We knew we were going to be able to score some points,” Hurley said. “We have great balance with our running backs. This group has good speed and good strength.”
Speedy Spencer Cole, who hadn’t carried in the first half, made his first attempt a lightning bolt 67-yard touchdown run. Kurtis Miller’s extra point made it 27-0.
Ashland seemed to find its stride with the late drive to end the first half behind hard-running Jaxson Pruitt, who finished with 124 yards rushing. He led a 13-play scoring drive before Dylan Blevins pounded into the end zone on a 1-yard run. He also ran in the two-point conversion to make it 27-8.
Russell came right back, this time with Matt Ellison scoring on a 2-yard run. He had back-to-back 12-yard carries to set up the score. Miller’s kick made it 34-8.
Ashland came back again, this time with Cody Cline doing the bulk of the rushing before scoring on a 14-yard sweep. Quarterback Drew O’Bryan ran in the two-point conversion.
Russell closed the scoring on Brodie Schroder’s 2-yard run and Miller’s third extra point kick.
The red Devils held a 321-185 advantage in total yards. Conley ran for 117 yards, 104 coming in the first half. Cole had 77 yards, all in the second half. McKee picked up several key first downs on quarterback keepers.
It was the last game for Ashland freshman coach Jack Harris, who is retiring after the school year.
“I have a lot of respect for him and the Ashland program,” Hurley said. “We all do here at Russell.”
Conley was named Russell’s top offensive player while Sam Smith was the top defensive player. Smith’s father, also named Sam, was the top defensive player in the 1981 Kiwanis Bowl.
Ashland’s top offensive player was Pruitt and the top defensive player was Grant Krueger.
Kiwanis Bowl queens were Lauren Gross (Russell) and Erika Bonner (Ashland). Russell attendants were Cassie Fultz, Evee Long, Chloe Thorner and Ashton Young. Ashland attendants were Hannah Baer, Stevee Bradley, Carley Conley and Paige Kennedy.
RUSSELL 6 14 7 14 - 41
ASHLAND 0 0 8 8 - 16
FIRST QUARTER
R – Nick Conley 68 run (kick blocked), 2:37
SECOND QUARTER
R – Conley 1 run (run failed), 9:36
R – Jacob McKee 11 run (Landon Brewer pass from McKee), 3:34
THIRD QUARTER
R – Spencer Cole 67 run (Kurtis Miller kick), 8:05
A – Dylan Blevins 1 run (Blevins run), 6:01
FOURTH QUARTER
R – Matt Ellison 2 run (Miller kick), 7:14
A – Cody Cline 14 run (Drew O’Bryan run), 3:53
R – Brodie Schroder 2 run (Miller kick), 1:49
R A
First downs 15 11
Rushes-yards 39-291 38-183
Passes 2-3-0 3-11-0
Yards passing 30 2
Fumbles-lost 1-0 1-0
Return yards 9 0
Punts-average 0 2-21.5
INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
Russell rushing: Conley 12-117, Cole 3-77, Ellison 10-45, McKee 7-26, Schroder 4-24, Martin 1-1, Brewer 1-1, Brown 1-0.
Ashland rushing: Pruitt 19-124, Cline 4-43, Blevins 10-31, O’Bryan 2-minus 2.
Russell passing: McKee 2 of 3 for 30 yards.
Ashland passing: O’Bryan 3 of 11 for 2 yards.
Russell receiving: Brewer 1-17, Ellison 1-13.
Ashland receiving: Blevins 2-4, Cline 2-minus 2
Russell's kicker even help out with an assist on a tackle that could have easily been a score. It was a good team effort. These kids have beat up on one another since 2nd grade in the JFL and have waited patiently for this freshman season to arrive. Ashland had a great team also but I believe Sammy and Mitch just wore the front line down IMO. Games are fought and won in the trenches. Lol
Congrats lil devils.
FBALL Wrote:A nightmare on Elm Street.

There solid fball I gotta say, will it be enough to get the W's back in varsity games against the tomcats we'll See. These tomcat freshman will be fine the big difference was those big boys up front for Russell an the bigger difference for Ashland Was speed at running back the power back is there especially second half an end of first half. I saw plenty opportunities on the outside where the blocking, was there if there was a speed back to make the turn they would have broke several long runs an probably scored. An couldve prevented long runs by Russell with great speed at safety the pieces are there for these boys an I look forward to getting them all together next few years.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Time for these boys to start weights in a few weeks. An get bigger an stronger for next year. Look forward to many more nightmares on elm street only the ones where we are smoking those devils.

Congratulations on the win.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Russell's kicker even help out with an assist on a tackle that could have easily been a score. It was a good team effort. These kids have beat up on one another since 2nd grade in the JFL and have waited patiently for this freshman season to arrive. Ashland had a great team also but I believe Sammy and Mitch just wore the front line down IMO. Games are fought and won in the trenches. Lol

And those years in JFL served them well. Developed a lot of depth at every position.

Miller does a good job kicking the ball and the kid can run.
BADCAT74 Wrote:There solid fball I gotta say, will it be enough to get the W's back in varsity games against the tomcats we'll See. These tomcat freshman will be fine the big difference was those big boys up front for Russell an the bigger difference for Ashland Was speed at running back the power back is there especially second half an end of first half. I saw plenty opportunities on the outside where the blocking, was there if there was a speed back to make the turn they would have broke several long runs an probably scored. An couldve prevented long runs by Russell with great speed at safety the pieces are there for these boys an I look forward to getting them all together next few years.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Time for these boys to start weights in a few weeks. An get bigger an stronger for next year. Look forward to many more nightmares on elm street only the ones where we are smoking those devils.

Congratulations on the win.

Once you spread them out Blazer found some ways to move the ball. They got burned on that little inside counter a few times and that opened some lanes up for 33.

Little BADCAT played a pretty good defensive game.
Thank you FBALL. He worked hard all night. I told him before the game leave it all on the field no regrets, but I think we all know how that goes as a player you always think you didn't do enough.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Russell's kicker even help out with an assist on a tackle that could have easily been a score. It was a good team effort. These kids have beat up on one another since 2nd grade in the JFL and have waited patiently for this freshman season to arrive. Ashland had a great team also but I believe Sammy and Mitch just wore the front line down IMO. Games are fought and won in the trenches. Lol

And it could have been worse all year for opposing teams. Mitch Redden played out of position, he was moved to center after johnny went down. Redden was replaced by denial mell at tackle. Nothing against the job he did but Redden outweighs him by 30-40 lbs. That really makes a big difference late 3rd quarter and into the 4th having that big body pound you all nite. Also Russell had defensive starter and good running back dismissed from the team in the 3rd wk of the season. Obviously they couldn't have improved record wise, but they would have been even more dominate in their wins. I'm excited about the future with this soph, fresh, and eighth grade class. I think they have a chance to make some noise