Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2012-13 UK/1991-93 Michigan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know, I know. You read the title and went, HUH?..and What? and Tides has lost his freaking mind...Yeah, I have. But.......bear with me here for a second. Ive been watching the Kentucky All Access, and these kids remind me so much of the Michigan Fab Five in the early 90s, from what theyve experienced as freshmen (from the Fab Five documentary), going from their rather humble beginnings at home to being studs on campus, its just neat that I get that vibe from them. Why the early 90s Michigan teams you ask? Because I am a HUGE fan of the Michigan Fab Five. Im a child of the early 90s, and those guys were a big part of my everyday sports life, way back when your 16, 17 years old, full of piss and vinegar and your life consisted of girls, cars, and sports. But I loved Michigan. Not as much as I did my Hogs, but if you were a product of the early 90s, Michigan's five freshmen (and sophomores) DID have an impact on the sports scene, whether you loved them or hated them. This Kentucky team reminds me of them. The players today remind me of those players then. They have a program that has invested in them (and no I dont mean paying them a "salary" or anything like that, but an investment in the program), crazy fan support, and anything Nike wants to sell, they put on Kentucky before offering it to the public. Just a neat piece of modern nostalgia. Remember these teams from Coach Cal, young people. Im serious, because one day it'll all be over, and you wish you would have enjoyed it more. Ive been a Hogs fan my whole life, and nobody won more college basketball games from '88-'95 than Arkansas, and I took it all for granted. Dont do that with this incredible run that Cal has put together. Take the Fab Five piece as a compliment. They were fun to watch, but they were here one minute and gone the next, and no matter what, Michigan STILL hasnt replaced them in basketball lore, even though theyve put together a few decent seasons since then. Kentucky wont be this dominant forever. Enjoy it. I will be.