Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Thoughts on UK FB Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First, I want to say I have rooted for Joker since Day 1. I am realistic and see the writing on the wall that he is done, or should be. He is like Jimmy Carter, who was a good man, but not a good President; Joker is a good man, just not the right coach for UK at this time. He is someone you would want as your dad, in-law, brother: But things just aren’t working out. I hope I’m wrong and UK wins the rest of their games; but even that may be too little too late now. Second, be realistic. Dungy, Parcells, Jon Gruden, Cowher, or Saban isn’t coming to UK. As a life-long UK football fan, I see these as the best choices for UK and could realistically come here.
Tier 1 in no particular order.
Chris Hatcher, Murray St. HC. Young (39), probably bring some form of the Air Raid brand of football that UK fans like. Say what you want for the Air Raid, but stands were packed and teams were competitive for the most part. Hatcher won’t be overwhelmed like Mumme, he’s seen it first hand and I think will have control.
Brent Peace, Offensive Coordinator at Florida. Many of the same qualities as Hatcher. He’s 47. At Florida now, so can obviously coach.
Willie Taggert, WKU HC. Young, 36, has done one heck of a job at Western. Was at Stanford and has NFL connections, especially with the Harbaughs.
Bill O’Brien, Penn St. HC. He’s 43, the wild card of the group. Did he know what he would be dealing with when he came to Penn St.? I think this is the worst situation in the history of sports and this team is done for a generation no matter who the coach is. How can they recruit? Ohio St. can say yes, players got free tattoos, USC we gave Bush a car and apartment, Miami has partied on all kinds of levels, even SMU, yes, they gave Eric Dickerson a Trans Am and a house. Who are the victims in these cases? None. Penn St. is totally different. He’s got NFL connections; maybe we can get Tom Brady to a game. Could give us an edge to recruiting Pennsylvania and the North, most people think it is easier to recruit kids to come South than North. Pennsylvania traditionally has lots of football talent, wouldn’t have to try and get so many players out of Florida. Obviously the guy can coach and he can handle adversity. He may want out at PSU, I know I would. He can come here and do well and we’ll name a street after him.
Jay Gruden, Offensive Coordinator, Cincinnati Bengals. 45. Done a great job with the Bengals, NFL experience a plus, yes he Jon’s brother. Was a Tampa Bay Bucs assistant for 7 years including the 2002 Super Bowl champs. Was a Head Coach and GM in the UFL and a Head Coach in the Arena League; much the same as Steve Spurrier and the USFL. Was a QB at UL. The next Spurrier???
Tier 2.
Mike Leach, HC, Washington St. Would be a good fit probably, I think he got a raw deal at Texas Tech. Probably not leaving WSU after 1 year.
David Cutcliff, HC, Duke. Do we really want someone with Duke and Tennessee ties? Can he win without a Manning at QB? Ole Miss didn’t think so.
Bobby Petrino, Unemployed. Yes, he can coach, but has more baggage than Delta. He may wind up at UK and be a good one. Has he learned his lesson? Or will there always be rumors and secret meetings with bigger name programs or the NFL? Winning does cure a lot, and he can, or has done that. He’s Bill Clinton to Joker’s Jimmy Carter: good coach, but you don’t want him as your dad, in-law, or brother.
Gus Malzahn, HC, Arkansas St. Can he win without Cam? Has a few issues, nothing major in past. Credited with creating the Wildcat with Darren McFadden. I think he is probably the next coach at Arkansas, so probably doesn’t matter.
Sonny Dykes, HC, Louisiana Tech. Some people think this is the guy, but I think the ones in Tier 1 are better than him. Worked with Mike Leach and was a UK assistant. No NFL ties I’m aware of, which is a liability in the SEC.
Tier No way.
Jim Tressel, Unemployed Look at his track record of problems, plus have to have a show cause to hire? Not a good idea.
Skip Holtz, HC, South Florida. Other than having a good name, what has he done? Be entertaining to hear Lou talk about it, but that would be the best thing to come from it.
When I started this, I thought Taggert, Hatcher or Peace would be the best answer. Now, I really think that Jay Gruden would be the best. Could recruit the North well, and he’s had every job there is in football. O’Brien would also be great if he would leave, and he should. Any of Tier 1 I think would be great.
Thoughts?
Gus Malzahn, HC, Arkansas St. Can he win without Cam? Has a few issues, nothing major in past. Credited with creating the Wildcat with Darren McFadden. I think he is probably the next coach at Arkansas, so probably doesn’t matter.

NOT going happen, he is very happy here(Arkansas State),and going to do BIG things
Joker is an OVC coach, coaching in the SEC. Kentucky sold out going after Calipari. Why not go after Petrino? Petrino is an asshole, and probably the most unlikeable coach in college football, but the guy can coach, win, and build football teams like nobody's business. Leach? No way. Gotta play defense in this league.
Jay Gruden might get some good recruits. To win it takes great players!
Petrino!
I like that you are throwing Jay Gruden out there, but I would wait around on him to see what John is going to do, if he comes to college any major recruit Jay COULD get...John would. Ive been on the Brent Pease bandwagon for more than a year now.
I understand UK fans wanting Petrino, but unless you plan on bringing in a guy to mimic his offense after he leaves, he's a program killer waiting to happen. He's going to leave UK, and leave them quick if he gets the job. Being flaky is in his genes...14 jobs in 28 years coaching, he'd do the same thing to UK that Kiffin done to UT. Unless you want to bring in a guy thats is gonna run the same system he runs, his 1 year that will most likely bring 4-6 wins will set the program back a good 3-4 years.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Jay Gruden might get some good recruits. To win it takes great players!

And to get great players to come to UK, it's going to take a great coach!
Nobody mentions Derek Dooley? Good coach.. if Tennessee fires him, I would be glad if UK got him.
Are you a UT fan in disguise?
If I thought Petrino would win and stay 10 years, it would be different. just don't see that Someone said he's a flake, about right. In Malzahn, I see UK paying him alot more than Arkansas St., but the word is he took quite a pay cut from Auburn OC to Arkansas St. HC, so maybe he doesn't care. Still see him at UA.
fanofpoe Wrote:Bill O’Brien, Penn St. HC. He’s 43, the wild card of the group. Did he know what he would be dealing with when he came to Penn St.? I think this is the worst situation in the history of sports and this team is done for a generation no matter who the coach is. How can they recruit?

He's not leaving Penn State after this season, and in all honesty, Penn State will have better recruiting classes with their sanctions than UK, unless UK gets back to recruiting in Ohio and Detroit
M'boroYellowJacket Wrote:Nobody mentions Derek Dooley? Good coach.. if Tennessee fires him, I would be glad if UK got him.

Tennessee has every advantage over a school like UK if he cant get it done there what makes you think he could get it done here?
Petrino will never be the coach at UK as long as Mitch is there. You can't hire someone who has a track record of lying to his superiors and used his influence to get his squeeze hired. Besides, there will be better schools with openings than UK. Very good coach who wins games but has baggage.

Phillip Fulmer is the name I have heard. Joker has a chance and it has not worked out.
I look for Petrino to end up at Auburn without even looking in Kentucky's direction.
NothingTrivial Wrote:I understand UK fans wanting Petrino, but unless you plan on bringing in a guy to mimic his offense after he leaves, he's a program killer waiting to happen. He's going to leave UK, and leave them quick if he gets the job. Being flaky is in his genes...14 jobs in 28 years coaching, he'd do the same thing to UK that Kiffin done to UT. Unless you want to bring in a guy thats is gonna run the same system he runs, his 1 year that will most likely bring 4-6 wins will set the program back a good 3-4 years.

How can you set the program back anymore than we are now.
^ have players transfer, team put on ncaa sanctions
^
Kiffin kept quite a few good players at USC...
O.C. Oregon Ducks is on UKs radar and Notre Dames D.C. both will be in the mix
After today's game, it is even more obvious that Joker has lost the team and is done. I think they showed that guy sitting in the section by himself 20 times. Bet there wasn't 20,000 there.
Know we probably couldn't get him, but Vandy's coach has done a heck of a job.
T-CATS Wrote:O.C. Oregon Ducks is on UKs radar and Notre Dames D.C. both will be in the mix

Where did you hear that at?
I love seeing the names like Cutcliffe and Tubberville being mentioned for the job. Those both would be good hires IMO but honestly, I would love to see them bring in a defensive minded guy. This is the SEC, to win in this league you have to play defense! Maybe someone like Bud Foster, he has always had great defenses at Vtech. Heck, I just want us to compete and win games and without a change no point in even taking the field next year.
Dooley.

Hahahahahahahahahaha............................................................................................................................,,..........,...... Hahahaha................ Gasp. HahHahahHAhaha...............................

Ok I've composed myself now.

Uh , no

Petrino can go rot somewhere.

No retreads like Cutcliffe or Tuberville either.

Taggert, Leach, Pease, Hatcher, Gruden I could see. I really like Taggert. I would take a shot at Mark Helfrich.
FBALL Wrote:Dooley.

Hahahahahahahahahaha............................................................................................................................,,..........,...... Hahahaha................ Gasp. HahHahahHAhaha...............................

Ok I've composed myself now.

Uh , no

Petrino can go rot somewhere.

No retreads like Cutcliffe or Tuberville either.

Taggert, Leach, Pease, Hatcher, Gruden I could see. I really like Taggert. I would take a shot at Mark Helfrich.

Come on your going to say no to Cutcliffe,Pentrino, Tuberville but throw out a name like Leach to come here. I would absolutely hate to see Leach be the next coach, aleast those other guys have coached in the league and know what it takes to a least win. Leach's team have never played defense. However, I dont think Taggert would be a bad hire at all.
MVP2 Wrote:Come on your going to say no to Cutcliffe,Pentrino, Tuberville but throw out a name like Leach to come here. I would absolutely hate to see Leach be the next coach, aleast those other guys have coached in the league and know what it takes to a least win. Leach's team have never played defense. However, I dont think Taggert would be a bad hire at all.

This program needs a shot of excitement. Not two old retreads that have never won big anywhere or a drunken womanizer with delusions of grandeur.

Leach wouldn't be one of my first choices but is take him over those three.
FBALL Wrote:This program needs a shot of excitement. Not two old retreads that have never won big anywhere or a drunken womanizer with delusions of grandeur.

Leach wouldn't be one of my first choices but is take him over those three.

Excitement wears off fast if there aren't wins. Excitement grows fast with wins. I want the coach that best enables us to win. If that's a grumby old man, I'll take him.
charlie22 Wrote:Excitement wears off fast if there aren't wins. Excitement grows fast with wins. I want the coach that best enables us to win. If that's a grumby old man, I'll take him.

Then lets see if Rich Brooks is ready to come back.
Its funny that some say hiring Petrino would set the program back.
How in the hell could we go any further back?
Were going to be a two win team with no hope for next year.

We are the worst team in the SEC and have been the doormat for years.
Its impossible to set us back, were already at the bottom.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its funny that some say hiring Petrino would set the program back.
How in the hell could we go any further back?
Were going to be a two win team with no hope for next year.

We are the worst team in the SEC and have been the doormat for years.
Its impossible to set us back, were already at the bottom.

Rich Brooks would strongly disagree with that. We only became the doormat this year.
Believe Taggart would be a good hire & always thought Roy Kidd should have gotten a shot with UK, kinda reminds me of same situation with these two.
Pages: 1 2