Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Separation of Private from Public
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that this subject has probably been brought up before, but I was curious. What do you think about seperating private schools from public schools. Give input on why you think it's good or bad.
Also,what do you think about classifying schools by the number of players on the roster, rather than by the number of students in the school.
I don't know what the logistics of doing this would be,or how hard it would be.
Maybe they could give a deadline on when coaches could turn in a roster and from that point you can't add new players unless they transfer. They could also put a limit on the number of transfers allowed. The reason I ask this is because,let's say school (A) has 500 students in(2A) and school (B) has 300 students in (1A). No school is going to have every student in the school want to play football . Now let's say that school (B) with only 300 is bigger on football and they get 60 to go out for the team but school (A) with 500 only gets 30 to go out. This does happen. We probably have 1a schools in this state right now that have more roster depth then some 3 or even 4a schools. I would like to hear your take on this.
I'd like to propose another concept: how about a merit-based class system instead of an enrollment-based system.

This would be similar to how the leagues operate in European soccer. The top teams in each class, say the district winners each year, move up to the next higher class for the next season, and the worst teams in each district drop down to the next lower class. That way, you could say there's a "super champion", the highest class winner, which would give the Trinity/Bowling Green/Highlands/St. X crowd a big prize to play for, and it also would keep the schools at the lower end from having to do things like drop out of district play to be competitive and give them a chance to rebuild their programs.
Brought up before? Try a million times.

You'll get one side who says yes lets do it, there cheating.
The other side will state there are only 8 private schools playing football and that would be retarded.

Me? I'm fine with everything the way it is. 6 classes, everybody thrown in together and watching the best teams win, because thats what they do...
You cannot do it based on players on the roster. Tom Duffy coached some very good teams at Henderson county a 6a school but ran kids off and had a roster of low 30's every year. More coaches would do it and cost kids across the state an opportunity to play football.
Oh No!!!!!!!!! Not another one of these threads.......................:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Iam4thecats Wrote:You cannot do it based on players on the roster. Tom Duffy coached some very good teams at Henderson county a 6a school but ran kids off and had a roster of low 30's every year. More coaches would do it and cost kids across the state an opportunity to play football.

I've never known a Duffy team to have a large roster anywhere: Danville, Highlands or Henderson. A lot of times it was because of the demands he placed on every player and his commitment to the program. Right or wrong that was his style and any school hiring him had to know that. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:I've never known a Duffy team to have a large roster anywhere: Danville, Highlands or Henderson. A lot of times it was because of the demands he placed on every player and his commitment to the program. Right or wrong that was his style and any school hiring him had to know that. :Thumbs:

Or maybe it was just because he is an ass
The privates and public will never separate. You could not set district when rosters were turned in for many reasons. Scheduling would be impossible if you waited to July to schedule. Also it would be amazing how many kids were added to rosters after districts were set. the European soccer method is also not feasible in that small schools strength varies greatly based on how many kids graduate. Very good schools can become mediocre over night. the only thing feasible might be to have private schools play up a class if their enrollment was in the top half of their class. This does not resolve 6A.
Let the 8 private schools have their own Elite 8 playoffs with a championship for their winners and only fill in public schools to their schedules to supplement open dates. That way their losses to non private schools don't effect their playoff rankings nor does it effect the playoff rankings of the public schools when district play starts.:popcorn:
I have seen this many times before on here. The bottom line is, nothing will change. The reason is the private schools are those that have people in high places including in our highest forms of state government. These people have the money to lobby and higher attorneys for this type of stuff. That being said, I think the best option for that is if they are gonna play with the public schools, 1 up them all. That is what some states do. This would mean if you were a 1a sized private school you would have to play in 2a. The only bad part would be the 6a schools would still be stuck playing against Trinity and St X. I still think this is the best option when you consider there are not enough privates to make their own league. But, as I said before, this will never happen. There is too much money financing the private schools interest in this area. The last time it was brought up the solution became to go from 4 classes to 6 classes, which did not solve the private school issue. If KHSAA had any sense of fair play they would consider this 1 up solution.
the public/ private argument is just based out of frustration
The only Private that dominates is T. Every other is beatable!!!!!
footballfever Wrote:The only Private that dominates is T. Every other is beatable!!!!!

Exactly. The ironic part of all of this is that most of the whining comes from teams that don't compete directly w/ private schools for championships or students. Funny how Beechwood and Highlands never cry about private schools. None of the schools in Kenton County do either, hmmm.... just those rural schools who don't have to worry about private schools. As soon as private schools leave, who would you blame your inability to compete on? Just face facts, it's an urban/rural issue when it comes to football. Life is unfair, quit whining.