Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 57 Covington Holmes 28
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
10/12/2012

Highlands 29 21 0 7 57
Covington Holmes 0 14 0 14 28
Scoring summary:
H--Colin Seidl 82 kickoff return (Brandon Hergott paass from Donovan McCoy); H--Zach Harris 71 run (Luke Brockett kick); H--Jack Grimm 11 pass from McCoy (Brockett kick); H--Jensen Figgins 53 pass from McCoy (Brockett kick); CH--Jonathan Scruggs 16 pass from Fred Vickers (Austin Gullett kick); H--Ryan Greene 27 pass from McCoy (Brockett kick); CH--Scurggs 79 kickoff return (Gullett kick); H--Ryan Donovan 9 run (Brockett kick); H--Luke Turner 31 pass from McCoy (Brockett kick); CH--Scruggs 91 run (Gullett kick); CH--DaSean Peterson 13 pass from Vickers (Gullett kick); H--Donovan 5 run (Brockett kick).
Records: Highlands 8-0, Covington Holmes 5-3.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/08/16/23013...rylink=cpy
Seven different Bluebirds scored as Highlands clinched the top playoff seed in its district with a 57-28 win over Holmes on Friday.

The Bluebirds (8-0), ranked first in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll, are now 8-0 in district play since realignment brought them to Class 4A two years ago. They've won those games by an average score of 62-12.

Highlands next faces Elder in a game that matters to Bluebirds coach Dale Mueller despite its lack of postseason ramifications.

• Take our high school nicknames quiz
• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

“For us, (the Elder game) doesn’t mean anything (toward winning) the state championship, which is our ultimate goal, but it is such a state championship-like atmosphere that it really prepares us for those types of games,” Mueller said.

The loss snapped a three-game winning streak by the Bulldogs (5-3). Holmes, ranked 10th in the Enquirer poll, still has a shot at the district's No. 2 seed and a home playoff game. They'll need to beat Covington Catholic next week to earn it.

The Bulldogs had allowed only 14 points in their last three games heading into Friday, but their recently stingy defense had no answer for the Bluebirds.

Highlands scored on its first four possessions and led 29-0 at the end of the first quarter. Three of those touchdowns came on the first play of a drive, including a 78-yard run by junior Zach Harris. Harris carried the ball only three times - all in the first quarter - yet still racked up 110 ground yards.

Highlands senior quarterback Donovan McCoy threw for 261 yards and four touchdowns despite playing in only the opening two quarters. That included a 31-yard Hail Mary touchdown as time expired in the first half. The desperation heave was deflected by a Holmes defender, but ended up in the arms of Luke Turner to send Highlands to the break with a 50-14 lead.

The Bluebirds' starters outgained Holmes 418 to 87 in the first half before turning things over to the second string.

“Our guys were ready to play and jumped on them right from the start,” Mueller said. “Then we got to rest some guys (in the second half), so it was a good game for us.”

Three of Holmes' scores came courtesy of Jonathan Scruggs. The junior running back caught a 16-yard scoring pass, returned a kickoff 79 yards and broke loose for a 91-yard touchdown run.

Scruggs finished with 180 yards on 20 carries, helping the Bulldogs put together an improved showing from last year's 77-0 loss to the Bluebirds.

“We’re happy with the effort tonight,” Holmes coach Terry Liggin said. “We’ve still got a long way to go, but we’re going to keep working.”
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...ayoff-seed
Congrats Highlands!
The Bluebirds (8-0) opened the game up on a 29-0 run, initiated by a Colin Siedl 82-yard kickoff return, and outscored the Bulldogs (5-3) 50-14 in the first half.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/10/12/23702...rylink=cpy
It's sad to hear a coach say that he is happy with such an effort. I think I understand where he is coming from, but if I were him I'd never say such a thing in public. IMO, Holmes will never have what it takes to win a state championship.
Kinda surprised to see highlands give up 28 points here. Was it against the backups?
Score was 50-14 at halftime. Holmes far from worst team in Class 4A. Holmes scored twice in 4th quarter.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Score was 50-14 at halftime. Holmes far from worst team in Class 4A. Holmes scored twice in 4th quarter.

Not implying that they were. I guess being up 50-14 highlands coasted which woul make since for the 2 late scores. I just figured with the roll the bluebirds were on it would be a little wider margin. But I guess you know your a great football team when you win by 3 td's and people are asking what happened
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Score was 50-14 at halftime. Holmes far from worst team in Class 4A. Holmes scored twice in 4th quarter.

Against Freshman and Sophomores
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Kinda surprised to see highlands give up 28 points here. Was it against the backups?

Highlands had 5-6 players running in and out every play and no starters in the second half; He was wanting to give starters a lot of rest and avoid injuries in anticipation of next weeks big game.Holmes has a couple of players with very good speed(they run track) and were able to break free a couple a times against Highlands young back ups.
sstack Wrote:Highlands had 5-6 players running in and out every play and no starters in the second half; He was wanting to give starters a lot of rest and avoid injuries in anticipation of next weeks big game.Holmes has a couple of players with very good speed(they run track) and were able to break free a couple a times against Highlands young back ups.

Figured it was something like that.
2dog Wrote:It's sad to hear a coach say that he is happy with such an effort. I think I understand where he is coming from, but if I were him I'd never say such a thing in public. IMO, Holmes will never have what it takes to win a state championship.

its sad, but looking at what the coach had to deal with coming in last season to now, it's understandable. i hope Liggins stays at Holmes cause he's what that school needed
Holmes has come a long way. They are headed in the right direction.
Only Frosh that played last night was the kicker. Second half was JV and not even all backups got in the game.
Stardust Wrote:Against Freshman and Sophomores

Highlands does not play freshmem on the varsity team. They have a freshmen kicker this year and that is the first freshmen I can remember playing in over 20 years.
I'll tip my hat to Holmes. I couldn't make it to this one, but they have come a long, long way from last year. This may be pushing it, but they could have a shot to upset the 2 seed from the EKY district in the playoffs.
WideRight05 Wrote:I'll tip my hat to Holmes. I couldn't make it to this one, but they have come a long, long way from last year. This may be pushing it, but they could have a shot to upset the 2 seed from the EKY district in the playoffs.

Yea, I think that is probably pushing it. But I would like to see it happen.