Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Favorite President, With a Twist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who is your favorite president on the opposite side of your aisle? Also, who is your least favorite president in your own party?
Favorite Democratic President - Harry Truman, who was before my time but by all accounts seemed to have been a pretty decent man and president.

My least favorite Republican president was Nixon by a wide margin. Watergate was bad but Nixon's handling of domestic economic issues were pathetic, as was Ford's, and Carter's. There are lessons from those three administrations that liberal Democrats still have not bothered to learn.
Favorite Democrat: Harry Truman

Least Favorite Republican: Theodore Roosevelt
^ Harry Truman was very close to being considered a Conservative
Favorite Independent: George Washington

Least Favorite Whig: William Henry Harrison
I also hated the way that the Nixon administration negotiated the end of the Vietnam War, leaving thousands of allies behind to be slaughtered and failing to secure the release of all of our POWs.
Truman, he understood what it meant to lead. At the end of WWII Truman made a decision, entirely on his own authority and against the advice of his most senior generals, which saved a great many American lives. "General Douglas MacArthur and other top military commanders favored continuing the conventional bombing of Japan already in effect and following up with a massive invasion, codenamed "Operation Downfall." They advised Truman that such an invasion would result in U.S. casualties of up to 1 million. In order to avoid such a high casualty rate, Truman decided--over the moral reservations of Secretary of War Henry Stimson, General Dwight Eisenhower and a number of the Manhattan Project scientists--to use the atomic bomb in the hopes of bringing the war to a quick end. Proponents of the A-bomb--such as James Byrnes, Truman's secretary of state--believed that its devastating power would not only end the war, but also put the U.S. in a dominant position to determine the course of the postwar world." [History.com]

The meaning of "The Buck Stops Here" is lost among modern liberal notions of political correctness, on both sides of the aisle. Presidents of late have lacked the strenght of character to keep America a sovereign power.
Stardust Wrote:Favorite Independent: George Washington

Least Favorite Whig: William Henry Harrison
IMO, Washington towers above all other Americans who have served as president. How many other human beings would have voluntarily stepped aside after two terms as president, when they could have been a king? We are so lucky that Barack Obama was not our first president because it is unlikely that we would have survived as a country long enough to have a second president.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:IMO, Washington towers above all other Americans who have served as president. How many other human beings would have voluntarily stepped aside after two terms as president, when they could have been a king? We are so lucky that Barack Obama was not our first president because it is unlikely that we would have survived as a country long enough to have a second president.

So true. I see Obama more as a corrupt clergyman of an emergent cult somewhere. Without mass media and wildeyed liberal mania on the march, who would have taken him seriously? BTW, best sig ever.
TheRealThing Wrote:So true. I see Obama more as a corrupt clergyman of an emergent cult somewhere. Without mass media and wildeyed liberal mania on the march, who would have taken him seriously? BTW, best sig ever.
Thanks. Prices have topped $5/gal. in parts of California, with widespread shortages, long lines at the pump, rationing, and stations closing after running out of gasoline. Romney needs to spend one day campaigning in California and let the rest of the country know that what is happening there could easily be in our future if Obama is given four more years to destroy our economy.
My least favorite Republican is Nixon. Didn't like his handling of the Vietnam war, and of course Watergate.

My favorite dem...probably Kennedy. There were some things about him I didn't like but I agreed on him with more than most democrats lol.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Thanks. Prices have topped $5/gal. in parts of California, with widespread shortages, long lines at the pump, rationing, and stations closing after running out of gasoline. Romney needs to spend one day campaigning in California and let the rest of the country know that what is happening there could easily be in our future if Obama is given four more years to destroy our economy.

Agreed, he suddely has more important things to do than he has time for. The democrats have kicked up more BS into the air than a tornado in Texas. Romney didn't get a chance to clear the air until he dominated Ozombie on the debate stage, thereby showing 70 million very interested viewers what a real man really looks like. He and Ryan need to hit it hard for the next 30 days.
WideRight05 Wrote:My least favorite Republican is Nixon. Didn't like his handling of the Vietnam war, and of course Watergate.

My favorite dem...probably Kennedy. There were some things about him I didn't like but I agreed on him with more than most democrats lol.
Kennedy did some great things. Announcing a plan to land a man on the moon within 10 years showed that he had that "vision thing." I also like the fact that he proposed steep tax rate cuts that stimulated the economy, although he was assassinated before he could sign his plan into law.

OTOH, there was the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban missile crisis, which were foreign policy blunders of Kennedy's own making. Had he not died so young, Kennedy definitely had the potential to become a great president. Unlike Obama, he seemed to learn from his early mistakes in the White House - and he believed in the greatness of our economic and political systems.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Kennedy did some great things. Announcing a plan to land a man on the moon within 10 years showed that he had that "vision thing." I also like the fact that he proposed steep tax rate cuts that stimulated the economy, although he was assassinated before he could sign his plan into law.

OTOH, there was the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban missile crisis, which were blunders of Kennedy's own making. Had he not died so young, Kennedy definitely had the potential to become a great president. Unlike Obama, he seemed to learn from his early mistakes in the White House - and he believed in the greatness of our economic and political systems.

Kennedy was rare for someone his age. He was wiser than most who stepped into the office at his age.

At the same time, I notice the downfalls you had mentioned with the Bay of Pigs, etc. I have also heard about possible connections to the mafia (and Marilyn Monroe lol) with him and his family. One can only wonder lol.
TheRealThing Wrote:Agreed, he suddely has more important things to do than he has time for. The democrats have kicked up more BS into the air than a tornado in Texas. Romney didn't get a chance to clear the air until he dominated Ozombie on the debate stage, thereby showing 70 million very interested viewers what a real man really looks like. He and Ryan need to hit it hard for the next 30 days.
I agree. Romney has virtually no shot at carrying California but it would be great if he forced Obama to follow him to California, the way that he forced him to follow him to Louisiana after the hurricane.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I agree. Romney has virtually no shot at carrying California but it would be great if he forced Obama to follow him to California, the way that he forced him to follow him to Louisiana after the hurricane.

LOL, California, what a waste of such beautiful space. Not that he actually followed Romney to Israel but, remember the temporary love fest Obama showed Netanyahu while Romney was making headlines over there? Then snubbed Netanyahu for the likes of the Pimp With a Limp. You couldn't make this stuff up.
I can't help but wonder if Romney might be able to steal California sometimes.

Probably wishful thinking, but I could see it happening. If he does, it's game over for Obama.
Stardust Wrote:^ Harry Truman was very close to being considered a Conservative

:hilarious:

A conservative who loved high taxes, national healthcare, supported the New Deal, started massive housing programs, civil rights, price controls, higher minimum wages, massive expansion of social security... etc. Never heard of the 'Fair Deal'? It was all the components of the New Deal, only larger. This all culminated with him seizing the entire US Steel industry, to be administered and oversaw by the government. He literally makes Obama look like a moderate. And the kicker, This was all during his few years as president. It speaks nothing about his time as VP, and in the Senate... where's he was by most accounts, more liberal.

don't confuse his willingness to use military against communism, or having the balls to drop the a-bomb....... as being a conservative. Remember, FDR would have no doubt did the same, and surely would have dropped the same bomb.

------------

Now to answer your question.

Republican - Silent cal (funny joke. at a dinner party once, a lady came up to him and said, "my husband just bet me $100 that I couldn't get you to say THREE words...." ---- is response? "you lose.")
Democrat - Clinton (1995-2001, after he moved to the center right with the help of republican Dick Morris)
Favorite Dem- Andrew Jackson--Badass.

Least favorite Repub- W.H. Taft
Keep in mind that George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, and a few more were not "cool". The boy wonder, Kardashian, is "cool". In today's world of celebrity worship, social promotion, and intellectual fools, "cool" is all that counts.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Thanks. Prices have topped $5/gal. in parts of California, with widespread shortages, long lines at the pump, rationing, and stations closing after running out of gasoline. Romney needs to spend one day campaigning in California and let the rest of the country know that what is happening there could easily be in our future if Obama is given four more years to destroy our economy.

They're up over $6 a gallon in the desert parts of California...
Favorite Democrat -- Franklin D. Roosevelt and Bill Clinton

Least favorite Republican -- Nixon, mainly because of how he got out of Vietnam, like Hoot.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Kennedy did some great things. Announcing a plan to land a man on the moon within 10 years showed that he had that "vision thing." I also like the fact that he proposed steep tax rate cuts that stimulated the economy, although he was assassinated before he could sign his plan into law.

OTOH, there was the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban missile crisis, which were foreign policy blunders of Kennedy's own making. Had he not died so young, Kennedy definitely had the potential to become a great president. Unlike Obama, he seemed to learn from his early mistakes in the White House - and he believed in the greatness of our economic and political systems.

Not to mention Joe's ties with the Chicago mob families filtering down to and including JFK. Talk about stealing an election!!! Also, his indiscretions (Marilyn Monroe being one of out several), his possible drug addiction (coming from his injury), his other health problems that were hidden from the public (Addison's) and the questionable relationship with Nikita Khruschev (sp?). Kennedy did have the potential to become a great president, but I don't think he would have ever gotten there. His judgment was declining, IMO and I believe he was rotten to the core.
At least Bill Clinton had the insight to try to be discreet about his romantic flings; MM came on stage in front of an audience of thousands that included Jackie O, to sing Happy Birthday to JFK.