Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pike County Bowl Format Changing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is the Pike County Bowl changing its format back to a one night event featuring Pikeville and Belfry playing stronger competition?
I haven't heard anything except that Somerset is gonna be in the two year cycle and Montgomery Co. was supposed to be in it, but that may not have worked out. What have you heard specifically?
Btw, I hope they change it back.
PantherTradition Wrote:Is the Pike County Bowl changing its format back to a one night event featuring Pikeville and Belfry playing stronger competition?

Sure hope this is true. Imo, the Pike Co. Bowl was more of an anticipated event. The competition was much better with the format that was originally estabished.
I saw where East Ridge was advertising on the coaches listserve for an opponent for Week 1 for the PCB. This made my ears perk up a bit wondering what was on the agenda.
Games on Thursday, Friday and Sat
Each county team playing a school from another county/state.
This would get me back to the long drive to take in this event.
Also make the event game one(week zero)to kick the season off.
bucslover68 Wrote:I haven't heard anything except that Somerset is gonna be in the two year cycle and Montgomery Co. was supposed to be in it, but that may not have worked out. What have you heard specifically?

What I am hearing - Somerset is in. Montgomery wants out. Possibly adding an out of state team as the other. Looks as though Shelby Valley is forming their own bowl.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Games on Thursday, Friday and Sat
Each county team playing a school from another county/state.
This would get me back to the long drive to take in this event.

if they are going to keep all the teams in then I would absolutely love this format. It's actually what i've been wanting for a long time..
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Also make the event game one(week zero)to kick the season off.

I wouldn't support this idea. If you hold the bowl game week 0, it forces every team in it to give up a scrimmage and accept an open date later in the season to participate.

Every coach has their own philosophy about whether they want to play in week 0 with 1 scrimmage or open in week 1 with 2 scrimmages. I respect that that decision belongs with each coach and I wouldn't be comfortable taking that decision away from them.
PantherTradition Wrote:What I am hearing - Somerset is in. Montgomery wants out. Possibly adding an out of state team as the other. Looks as though Shelby Valley is forming their own bowl.
Shelby Valley holding their own bowl, that is rich. After all the bickering and whining by some SV supporters on the PCB committee to give SV one night of hosting a game, and the PCB bowing to them. Then last year the decision was made to let Pikeville and Belfry be the permanent hosts (as it should be IMO) and suddenly SV wants out of the PCB all together. Wow. I'm not surprised but this is biting the hand that feeds you.

I guess that is why East Ridge is looking for an outside opponent.
I would love to see the bowl get back to the way it used to be. Belfry and Pikeville back to back in Pikeville! Anything else is just a regular game with a bowl name attached to it.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Shelby Valley holding their own bowl, that is rich. After all the bickering and whining by some SV supporters on the PCB committee to give SV one night of hosting a game, and the PCB bowing to them. Then last year the decision was made to let Pikeville and Belfry be the permanent hosts (as it should be IMO) and suddenly SV wants out of the PCB all together. Wow. I'm not surprised but this is biting the hand that feeds you.

I wonder if all the proceeds from the bowl will be split amongst the other schools in Pike County to make up for the free cash SV was given for decades?
If it's a one night event it should rotate between Pikeville & CAM, I've seen the numbers and attendance at CAM is incredible.
Belfry0304 Wrote:If it's a one night event it should rotate between Pikeville & CAM, I've seen the numbers and attendance at CAM is incredible.

I think attendance at CAM would be incredible no matter who or when the pirates were playing someone.
PirateInAshland Wrote:I would love to see the bowl get back to the way it used to be. Belfry and Pikeville back to back in Pikeville! Anything else is just a regular game with a bowl name attached to it.

Agree with this 100%. More of a true bowl game and that was the way it was intended to be.
Belfry vs Hazard or Somerset
Pikeville vs Perry Central or Clay Co

Or

Belfry vs Harlan Co
Pikeville vs Williamsburg...
bac2369 Wrote:Belfry vs Hazard or Somerset

Or

Belfry vs Harlan Co

Imo, looks interesting. Would be strong competition for all involved. To my knowledge, none of the above mentioned teams have ever played in the PCB, with the exception of maybe Somerset (i think ), and of course Pikeville and Belfry, the hosts.
Belfry0304 Wrote:If it's a one night event it should rotate between Pikeville & CAM, I've seen the numbers and attendance at CAM is incredible.

It would rotate between Belfry and Pikeville.
All Pike County high schools would still receive money from the bowl as was done in the past when it was only Belfry and Pikeville playing. The exception would be you would not receive money if you hosted your own bowl.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Shelby Valley holding their own bowl, that is rich. After all the bickering and whining by some SV supporters on the PCB committee to give SV one night of hosting a game, and the PCB bowing to them. Then last year the decision was made to let Pikeville and Belfry be the permanent hosts (as it should be IMO) and suddenly SV wants out of the PCB all together. Wow. I'm not surprised but this is biting the hand that feeds you.

Virgil Osborne should not be on the bowl committee.:HitWall:
bac2369 Wrote:Belfry vs Hazard or Somerset

Or

Belfry vs Harlan Co

Harlan County is sup2 to be on Belfry schedule next yr so that wont work..
cuppett777 Wrote:Harlan County is sup2 to be on Belfry schedule next yr so that wont work..

True.
I'm going to get crucified for saying this but.... Other than having a rich history, why should pikeville be considered in this, unless they were playing belfry.. If you want a real bowl type game then let the team from pike county who went the farthest in the playofs be the host to a team in a different class but of equal strengths.

for instance.. let's say Belfry goes to the semis... try to schedule them someone bell to start the season off.

If Pikeville goes farther then schedule them up against a 3a type school from somewhere on the western side of the state..

If it was up to me I would like to see as many teams as I could from other parts of the state.. I mean we've seen all the teams from around here time and time again.. I want something new..
crazytaxidriver Wrote:I'm going to get crucified for saying this but.... Other than having a rich history, why should pikeville be considered in this, unless they were playing belfry.. If you want a real bowl type game then let the team from pike county who went the farthest in the playofs be the host to a team in a different class but of equal strengths.

for instance.. let's say Belfry goes to the semis... try to schedule them someone bell to start the season off.

If Pikeville goes farther then schedule them up against a 3a type school from somewhere on the western side of the state..

If it was up to me I would like to see as many teams as I could from other parts of the state.. I mean we've seen all the teams from around here time and time again.. I want something new..
Not crucifying you, but Pikeville started this bowl, along with Belfry. Started going downhill when we had to let Shelby Valley, Phelps, and everyone else in to keep them from crying. Go back to Pikeville and Belfry against marquee teams, I say. After all, the other schools get money no matter what.
PHSForever Wrote:Not crucifying you, but Pikeville started this bowl, along with Belfry. Started going downhill when we had to let Shelby Valley, Phelps, and everyone else in to keep them from crying. Go back to Pikeville and Belfry against marquee teams, I say. After all, the other schools get money no matter what.

Agreed. What interest did it draw from watching PC play Phelps? Or for that matter, ER playing SV? These schools could have scheduled each other during the regular season. No slant against them, but it was more interesting when Pikeville and Belfry hosted the more talented schools from other parts of the state.
crazytaxidriver Wrote:I'm going to get crucified for saying this but.... Other than having a rich history, why should pikeville be considered in this, unless they were playing belfry.. If you want a real bowl type game then let the team from pike county who went the farthest in the playofs be the host to a team in a different class but of equal strengths.

Okay.

Let Pike Central and Shelby Valley start a bowl game in which the proceeds will be shared with all schools in Pike County.

After a while, let Pikeville and Belfry whine and complain and throw a fit until they get to play in it too, but PC and SV still headline.

Then after a few years of that, let Pikeville push out Pike Central from the headline night.

Yeah, sounds like something Pike Central fans would LOVE.

The Pike County Bowl committee should read this book, It is called something like, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..." They could learn a lesson.

Because that is exactly what happened to the Pike County Bowl. The committee gave the mouse (PC, SV, ER, and Phelps) the cookie ($), then it wanted some milk (games), now it wants a straw (headline game).

The appeasement plan only worked so long with Hitler. Time to man up and say, "No More" PCB Committee.
PHSForever Wrote:Not crucifying you, but Pikeville started this bowl, along with Belfry. Started going downhill when we had to let Shelby Valley, Phelps, and everyone else in to keep them from crying. Go back to Pikeville and Belfry against marquee teams, I say. After all, the other schools get money no matter what.

I can live with this.. Although if it's all about Pikeville and Belfry, why not let them two play it out at the start of the year.. as a real kickoff to pike county football.. I would go watch that
Big Five-0- Wrote:Agreed. What interest did it draw from watching PC play Phelps? Or for that matter, ER playing SV? These schools could have scheduled each other during the regular season. No slant against them, but it was more interesting when Pikeville and Belfry hosted the more talented schools from other parts of the state.

It didn't.. and I'm a PC fan.. I never liked the fact that either PC, or SV, had to open up with a district game.. (when they were in the same district). I always said that if they have to have all teams in there, then let them play teams from away from here two/
Panther Thunder Wrote:Okay.

Let Pike Central and Shelby Valley start a bowl game in which the proceeds will be shared with all schools in Pike County.

After a while, let Pikeville and Belfry whine and complain and throw a fit until they get to play in it too, but PC and SV still headline.

Then after a few years of that, let Pikeville push out Pike Central from the headline night.

Yeah, sounds like something Pike Central fans would LOVE.

The Pike County Bowl committee should read this book, It is called something like, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..." They could learn a lesson.

Because that is exactly what happened to the Pike County Bowl. The committee gave the mouse (PC, SV, ER, and Phelps) the cookie ($), then it wanted some milk (games), now it wants a straw (headline game).

The appeasement plan only worked so long with Hitler. Time to man up and say, "No More" PCB Committee.

I may have misunderstood, but has PC taken a headline game??
Pages: 1 2 3