Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: please reply with your thoughts on what Rockcastle needs to do to fix the problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For this year and the future
It starts with the youth leagues. Not sure of what's going on at rockcastle, but I hope they get back to their level of the late 90's early 2000's.
Call someone from Perry Central and let them tell you how to recruit properly. Might want to ask to talk to Randy Napier. Hell he has them just dropping out of the clouds for him.
IMO the Rockcastle program just needs support from more people around the programs (Varsity, JV, and Youth). I've seen them play one time and it's apparent that they are having to play several players who aren't really prepared to play varsity. That said, they all gave their best effort in what was a loosing battle. The only sad thing for me was that when I looked over at the visitors section, I saw the least amount of opposing team fans that I have ever seen at a Russell County game. Even LCC & Clay Co brought more fans last season. Knox Central filled the visitors section and then some.

So, I understand the frustration of loosing, but pointing fingers at the staff or players is not the answer..........after all, they were there doing their part. Where were the fans?
Rockcastle lies in one of the worst spots possible in the state.
You have to be able to get some of those kids from around the densley populated area to start playing football at a very young age.

The next step would be hiring good coaches from 3rd grade all the way threw the high school.
We got some players coming up. give us a year or two we will be right back.
Every program (who doesnt do the fishy stuff) will have down years.
It's impossible to get crazy good athletes year after year, but coaching does go a long way.

A mix of good athletes and good coaches is deadly.
ROCK is relatively young looking at the overall picture. I agree w/ ROCKSOLID69 that in a couple years that Rocket Pride will be returning in the next yr. or 2....heard great things about the Middle School team. They still got time to patch tactics before taking the field next Friday night.
Asking for help on a message board is counter productive. The fans need to get back to being fans. The only thing you can change is

1. Show up to the games and buy a ticket.
2. Spend money on the team at concessions and fundraisers.
3. Tell little Johnny to work hard and believe in his coaches.
So is it the fans who are behind UK losing?

Is it the fans fault UK is losing because they dont buy a hot dog and pop?

Do fans just tell UK players to keep working harder and believe in Joker or (Billy G)

The blame does not go on the fans.
I never said that. Thanks.

The fans and posters on bgr are not responsible for fixing the program at rockcastle. Why air negativity and dirty laundry in public? High school kids are influenced by that negativity. High school kids hear the fans being critical and it undermines coaches. High school kids at rock read these boards.
West 80 Wrote:So is it the fans who are behind UK losing?

Is it the fans fault UK is losing because they dont buy a hot dog and pop?

Do fans just tell UK players to keep working harder and believe in Joker or (Billy G)

The blame does not go on the fans.

Fans aren't going to change joker either. Mitch , Eli, and the big money like r.j. Corman and Luther Denton are going to change joker.
Probably, not the best place to find an answer... But, some of these guys will have some
great suggestions....

As far as I see it, The Rock's Middle school program seems to always be tough year in
and year out, then things drop off at the next level. My question would be; is the kids
sticking around? If you start with 25+ freshmen, then end up with only 6 or 7 seniors
from the original group, that could be a problem.. Hardest thing for a High School athlete
is to stick with a program when they are trying to pay for car, insurance, and dates....
All of sudden they're working and not playing; they like that green!
No ones trying to talk negative or air dirty laundry its just a topic for debate , yes the middle school is always dominate
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:We got some players coming up. give us a year or two we will be right back.
district title #10 will arrive within 2 years and a possible return to the regional championship game. Last region championship was 2005 and last region championship appearance was 2006. Its gonna take time from this current experience to build, off-season conditioning, spring practice, etc.....THEN the progress will be set for 2013. This 2012 team is young, the mentality is way frictionless, the boys do work their tails off....just a down year figuredably speaking.
Hire Chris Larkey from NLaurel
Better genetics.

I cannot remember the last time Rock had a freak of an athlete who had a great natural build or were a correct height/weight for their position.

One thing Rock always had was a willingness to knock you out. The Rock Hard defense always reminded me of the 2000 Ravens. If you got a first down or a touchdown, you didn't get it easy. Even if by some crazy chance you left with a win, you did not walk off the field in the same condition that you walked in. Those days are over. Nobody is scared to come to the Rock anymore. Sad
Daddycat27 Wrote:Hire Chris Larkey from NLaurel

I don't know, but I am sure the job was his if he had wanted it back then.
Well for one, you could hire Tom Larkey back to get it back to where it was but us Harlan County fans won't let that happen...so the next best thing would be hire Chris Larkey.
Pointing the finger at parkey is ridiculous, the guy went 9-3 and won coach of the year last year. Give them a year or two and they will be back, I am sure they are playing alot of young kids against a tough schedule. It is impossible to be loaded every year.
I say let the fans and parents coach. That would be funny to watch.
TheTigersEye Wrote:Pointing the finger at parkey is ridiculous, the guy went 9-3 and won coach of the year last year. Give them a year or two and they will be back, I am sure they are playing alot of young kids against a tough schedule. It is impossible to be loaded every year.
^not saying being loaded every yr is possible but from 1986-2006:

86= 6-4
87= 9-2
88= 8-3
89= 7-4
90= 9-2
91= 11-2
92= 11-2
93= 10-2
94= 8-4
95= 10-2
96= 9-2
97=9-2
98= 6-5
99= 10-3
00= 13-1
01= 14-1
02= 13-2
03= 9-3
04= 8-4
05= 11-3
06= 11-2
Nobody pointing fingers , but 9-3 last year was good but look at overall record is like 26-32 not good , parkey Martin saylor are great but somethings not clicking playcalling maybe players has layed down Idk I don't care what the problem is it just needs fixed n fixed before next season
rustyankle Wrote:Nobody pointing fingers , but 9-3 last year was good but look at overall record is like 26-32 not good , parkey Martin saylor are great but somethings not clicking playcalling maybe players has layed down Idk I don't care what the problem is it just needs fixed n fixed before next season
first off the overall record since Coach Parkey took over in 2008 stands @ 27 wins 26 losses. Secondly, the least of this problem of finger pointing should be the coaching staff because they done a acceptable job. Thirdly, the feedback I get from alma mater clsssmates/teammates is based on the average player's mentality having a disciplined mindset, fourthly....its the experience which is overall green.....this team wasnt like the 2010 team ENOUGH said on that @ a positive level. Fifthly, parents and fans coaching would be in my strong opinion considered a joke no offense to them....on the contrary of ROCK's back to back losing seasons in 2009-2010 were tough schedules statistically speaking. And finally, ROCK will get back in being a threat in November w/in a year or 2 @ most.
TheTigersEye Wrote:Pointing the finger at parkey is ridiculous, the guy went 9-3 and won coach of the year last year. Give them a year or two and they will be back, I am sure they are playing alot of young kids against a tough schedule. It is impossible to be loaded every year.

For the record, I was doing this same complaining when they were 9-3 as well. I will not call for his head because he is a fantastic teacher, but maybe it is time to step back as an assistant again.
Coach Scott Parkey has a good resume as we speak!:
-ROCK starting QB (1989-1991) 28-8 record
*1,000 yard club in career of passing yards
*District Championship (1991)
*Region Runner-Up (1991)
-ROCK Assistant (2003-2007) 45-18 record
*District Championship (2006)
*District Runner-Ups (2003-2005, 2007)
*Region Championship (2005)
*Region Runner-Up (2006)
*State Semi-Finalists (2005)
*3-Bowl victories (2006-2007)
-ROCK Head Coach (2008-present) 27-26 record
*District COY honors (2011)
*District Championship (2011)
*won most games as a 1st yr HC @ ROCK!
*led ROCK to it's 150th victory @ current homefield
*3-Bowl victory (2011)
LWC Wrote:Better genetics.

I cannot remember the last time Rock had a freak of an athlete who had a great natural build or were a correct height/weight for their position.

One thing Rock always had was a willingness to knock you out. The Rock Hard defense always reminded me of the 2000 Ravens. If you got a first down or a touchdown, you didn't get it easy. Even if by some crazy chance you left with a win, you did not walk off the field in the same condition that you walked in. Those days are over. Nobody is scared to come to the Rock anymore. Sad
The ROCK opened in 1975 and ever since August 22, 1975....ROCK has had very great memories w/ more to come....current stands @ 213 games played, 151-62 record!!!!
:biggrin: last time ROCK never lost a home game through a season was 2006 going 7-0.
rocket01 Wrote:first off the overall record since Coach Parkey took over in 2008 stands @ 27 wins 26 losses. Secondly, the least of this problem of finger pointing should be the coaching staff because they done a acceptable job. Thirdly, the feedback I get from alma mater clsssmates/teammates is based on the average player's mentality having a disciplined mindset, fourthly....its the experience which is overall green.....this team wasnt like the 2010 team ENOUGH said on that @ a positive level. Fifthly, parents and fans coaching would be in my strong opinion considered a joke no offense to them....on the contrary of ROCK's back to back losing seasons in 2009-2010 were tough schedules statistically speaking. And finally, ROCK will get back in being a threat in November w/in a year or 2 @ most.

Well from talking to players there mindset is demoralized from the coach , and this is Rockcastle not Berea or southern or some school just has football to have it , we are THE ROCK look for 20 some years not one losing record , the past few years has been bad and go to games talk to fans talk to parents talk to the players they will all say same thing
^just a down year buddy, long story short....I gave my analysis of why the results are the results in past posts.
What type of strength and conditioning program is in place? Just curious. In today's football world what you do in the weight room matters more than what happens on the chalk board. Speed determines what type of offense you can run. Strength equals options.

You could make a list of teams and count the number of kids on the team who can bench over 300, squat over 400, and power clean over 250 and run 5.0 flats or better and I would bet the teams with the highest numbers of kids with these physical skills would be the winning teams regardless of what offense or defense they run.
Pages: 1 2