Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Adkins believes he can overcome the challenges of a conservative district
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bill Adkins acknowledged a tough road ahead campaigning in Kentucky’s conservative Fourth Congressional District but believes he can overcome the challenges.

The Williamstown-based lawyer told the Enquirer editorial board Monday he hopes for disenchanted Republicans to turn the tide in his favor in the race to succeed U.S. Rep. Geoff Davis for the congressional seat that covers Northern Kentucky.

Adkins, 56, faces Republican Thomas Massie, who garnered 45 percent of the GOP vote in the primary against six other candidates. He believes dissension between the tea party, which supported Massie, and other Republicans might work in his favor.

“The tea party has a candidate; the Democrats have a candidate,” Adkins said. “The question is, do the Republicans have a candidate? You have a dissatisfied electorate with those people that would have chosen (Gary) Moore or (Alecia) Webb-Edgington. They’re not happy with the tea party. I’m not delusional but on the flip-side this is a game that can be played.”

Adkins said his desire to spend more in infrastructure distinguishes his platform.

“The economists that I believe are correct are the ones that say you pay down debt when you have the money to pay down the debt, but when you are in deficit, depression, recession circumstances, you don’t pay down debt, you invest in your education, your infrastructure,” Adkins said. “You put people to work and infrastructure is the ideal way to address that.”

The $2.4 billion Brent Spence Bridge project ranks top on Adkins’ list for infrastructure projects. Adkins opposes tolls but doesn’t know an alternative funding source and said that the federal government will “have to be very creative in coming up with that number.”

“I think you’ll find that (tolls) don’t float very well in this area,” Adkins said. “I would like to see it not hit disproportionately those people that use that bridge that are local residents on both sides of the river.”

Adkins also favors letting the tax cuts expire for people who make $250,000 or more but remain in place for people who make less. He said tax cuts for the rich doesn’t necessarily translate to jobs for the poor.

“Certainly the middle class tax cuts, those people spend those tax cuts,” Adkins said. “If you make 30,000, $40,000, $50,000 a year, they spend their tax cuts, but if you make Mitt Romney numbers, you put your money in the Cayman’s where they don’t actually impact the economy as it should.”

Adkins also hopes his experience will earn points with voters. Prior to becoming a lawyer 13 years ago, he worked in a dozen different fields, including coal miner, railroad worker, bartender, retail store manager, printer, construction worker, bookkeeper, radio disc jockey and roofer.

He believes he has also closed some of the fund raising gap between him and Massie. Adkins said he’s received more from local donors, but did not have an estimate. He said he will get support from the Kentucky Democratic Party and over the past weekend heard for the first time people with the national Democratic Party.

“I wish they had done it earlier,” Adkins said. “I think they’re missing an opportunity, because and open seat is an open seat. I don’t think you stay out of the game just because it may be an uphill climb.”http://cincinnati.com/blogs/nkypolitics/...-district/
I would hate to think that the voters of the Fourth District would elect someone as liberal as Adkins. It should be a near impossibility. On the other hand, Kardashian is leading in the polls and who would think it possible for someone so incompetent with no qualifications and with no accomplishments in life to be elected president let alone reelected.