Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14 deaths lead to investigation of NKY doctor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
FLORENCE — Following the deaths of 14 of his patients from prescription drug overdoses, a Northern Kentucky doctor has had his medical license suspended and is the subject of a federal criminal investigation.

The Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure suspended Dr. Gary Shearer’s license on Monday after it found his practice constituted a danger to the health, welfare and safety of his patients or the general public. The 14 patients, who died in the past three years, ranged in age from 30 to 59.

The medical board began investigating Shearer in November after discovering he was one of the top prescribers in the state of the narcotic oxycodone. The state attorney general uses a system called KASPER that tracks prescription medication to identify patients who “doctor shop” or doctors who operate “pill mills.”

Shearer’s “failure to comply with acceptable and prevailing practices in the treatment and monitoring of patients prescribed controlled substances, and (Shearer’s) fraudulent and unethical behavior, demonstrates that (Shearer) has not exhibited the ability to practice medicine safely,” according to the medical board’s emergency order of suspension.

Shearer, 67, of Union has not been charged with a crime and could not be reached for comment. His office in Florence, where he practices family medicine, was closed Tuesday.

Judy Frost, 60, of Erlanger said her son was one of Shearer’s patients who died. James Frost, 39, was being treated for bipolar disorder when he died in May 2011 of mixed drug toxicity, she said.

She went to Shearer’s office on Tuesday after learning of the suspension. She said the parking lot, which was empty Tuesday morning, was usually filled with vehicles from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

“It makes me feel so good,” she said of the suspension of Shearer’s medical license. “I hope they bring criminal charges against him. I think he belongs in prison.”

Shearer’s attorney, Bob Sanders, said his client is cooperating with the federal authorities and denies doing anything wrong.

Sanders said Shearer’s legal team has investigated several of the patient deaths and most of them overdosed on heroin – obviously not prescribed by Shearer.

“Nobody has ever died as a result of taking drugs prescribed by Dr. Shearer as they were prescribed by Dr. Shearer,” Sanders said. “I guarantee it.”

Sanders said it isn’t a doctor’s fault if a patient doesn’t follow the directions on the prescription or mixes the prescription drugs with illegal drugs.

“Unless the doctor goes home with every patient, I don’t know how they are supposed to control that,” he said. “Show me a single case where any patient died as a result of taking drugs as prescribed by Dr. Shearer, and I will go out and help you string him up.”

It is unclear how the suspension of Shearer’s medical license will affect the doctor’s plans to open a methadone clinic in Covington. He applied Sept. 4 for a state license to operate a pain management facility. An earlier zoning request for the clinic prompted scores of residents to protest.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...309250044/
It took 14 deaths before someone got suspicious?