Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell vs Pikeville 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pikeville is qualified to become a Class 2a school but for some reason Pikeville never wants to move up to that level. Why is that? So yes in a sense they choose to stay in the weakest district in state at the lowest level.
football 105 Wrote:Just when you start to think differently about something or someone you get something like this to try and agitate or keep the pot stirred. WhY??
Excuses
With those excuses. Maybe Boyd Co should stop playing Ashland. Or maybe Boyd Co should stop playing Russell!!
Not a bad looking group that left the county to play at these schools.

With that schedule. The playoffs should seem a little easier if healthy!
sportsguru4u Wrote:Pikeville is qualified to become a Class 2a school but for some reason Pikeville never wants to move up to that level. Why is that? So yes in a sense they choose to stay in the weakest district in state at the lowest level.

NO, they do not. You don't know what you are talking about.

No school has the choice to play below their classification.

Pikeville is classified as a 1A school and that is where they have been competing for a long long time.
football 105 Wrote:With that schedule. The playoffs should seem a little easier if healthy!

#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Wow, Prestonsburg, Somerset, Belfry, Sheldon Clark, and Russell. Thats one hell of a non district schedule for a 1A team. Kudos to the coach for having the balls to put this schedule together.

They will take there licks, but will be battle tested come playoff time.

If healthy.
The playoffs should seem a little easier to prepare for or compete against.
Respect the panthers for beefing up
Prestonsburg drops Belfry and picks up Pikeville. That is good for Pikeville
Lord goodness Pikeville is already at the bottom of the totem pole as far as classification goes. I never said for them to drop to a lower class LOL they are already 1A. I said that they could move up and qualify to do so.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Prestonsburg drops Belfry and picks up Pikeville. That is good for Pikeville

If what i'm hearing is correct Prestonsburg drops Belfry & Perry Central and picks up Knox Central & Pikeville. If it is correct i think its an even trade.
sportsguru4u Wrote:Lord goodness Pikeville is already at the bottom of the totem pole as far as classification goes. I never said for them to drop to a lower class LOL they are already 1A. I said that they could move up and qualify to do so.

Well lets see. If i'm not mistaken Pikeville anually waxed Betsy Layne. Last year the beat Shelby Valley by like 50. Those are 2 2A schools, so yes they could compete, but why should they. They have about half the population of those schools. With your reasoning Pike Central should elect to play 4A against the like of Highlands, Johnson Central, etc. Prestonsburg should then go to 3A, so they can compete with Belfry, Breathitt, and Bell year in and year out. All teams can elect to play up, but they use common sense, unlike you. Your reasoning has lost you any credibility on this site. Go find another thread to hack and leave the good discussion for the rest of us.
BetsyLane would beat Pikeville by 2 TD's this year if they were to play. That is a fact. Then you said Shelby Valley well Pikeville plays them at the end of the season so I guess we will find out if they wax them this season. I believe it will be a very competitive game myself. Also by the way Johnson Central is a 5A school not a 4A school as you stated.
Might want to re-check your classification system. Also I was not speculating on outcomes of games (Especially those that won't even be played). All I can go on is fact. All which I stated. You made a rediculous remark about teams moving up in classification. Thats all.
You are correct Johnson Central is 4A. I was wrong.
Still doesn't change the fact that Pikeville should move up to class 2a.
Class A enrollment, Class A level.
11) The Board shall give schools, once the ranked enrollments are
determined by prior to placement into geographic districts, an
opportunity to play to a higher class. Such request will only be
approved if the move can be substantiated by improving the
geographic (travel) concerns of both the lower and requested
class. Requests will be summarily denied if the request is
justifi ed by desire to improve competitive opportunity or leaves
a class with the inability to form districts with more than four
teams or requires more than six teams in a given district.
Paintsville would move from class A District 7 to District 8 and take Pikeville's place. Then Bishop Brossart would move from Class 2a district 6 into Class A District 7. Pikeville would then move into Class 2A into District 8. Very simple really. All of these moves would fit the guild-lines for reclassification per KHSAA as far as geographical location and easier travel for all of the Schools involved.
So Brossart(360) who has 20 more kids would switch with Pikeville(340)? Then Pikeville goes with P-Burg(590) and Valley(588) whom both have 250 more kids? That makes alot of sense. That makes a ton more sense travel wise for Brossart to go to Phelps every other year. Face it you don't like Pikeville. End of story.
You must have problems reading. Look again. I said that Bishop Brossart would move to Class A District 7. Please explain to me where that involves playing Phelps. Also so since Brossart has 20 more kids that makes it OK for them to play in 2a and Pikeville at a disadvantage. Get real. Read before you reply. At least when I make a mistake I admit it.
sportsguru4u Wrote:Pikeville is qualified to become a Class 2a school but for some reason Pikeville never wants to move up to that level. Why is that? So yes in a sense they choose to stay in the weakest district in state at the lowest level.

I guess if they did move to 2-A, you could double grind your axe against them, right?
sportsguru4u Wrote:Lord goodness Pikeville is already at the bottom of the totem pole as far as classification goes. I never said for them to drop to a lower class LOL they are already 1A. I said that they could move up and qualify to do so.

You said they were "qualified to become a class 2A school", which they are not. I took that comment to mean that you thought they were a 2A school choosing to play down in 1A.

The only exceptions the KHSAA BOC made to the enrollment classification was for geographic reasons. Russell was allowed to play up a class, for instance, because it allowed them to reduce travel significantly. They would not have granted Pikeville that same request if they had made it because there is plenty of Class 1A schools in Pikeville's geographic region with which they can be grouped in a district.

Pikeville has no choice but to compete in their classification of 1A, and I fail to see any reason why they would want to.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:If what i'm hearing is correct Prestonsburg drops Belfry & Perry Central and picks up Knox Central & Pikeville. If it is correct i think its an even trade.

Competition level, you are probably right, not much change. Travel will be a little more, and gate receipts will be significantly less IMO.
sportsguru4u Wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that Pikeville should move up to class 2a.
Seriously, why should they?

What benefit to Pikeville would there be to choosing to play in 2A (as if that were a possibility, which it is not)?
I have no prob admitting I read your post wrong. I thought you said Brossart would take Pikevilles spot when you actually said Paintsville would take Pikeville's spot. So Brossart who plays in a district with schools in their county ( Campbell ) and the county next door (Kenton), should then be realligned with a district that consists of Nicholas Co ( Fair assessment driving time) and Fairview and Raceland ( Prob 2 hr drive time). Then when playoff pairings come around they play District 8 in 1A, so then Phelps gets to drive to Bishop Brossart for a first rd matchup of epic proportions. Once again you miss the point of all my ramblings, why place Pikeville with schools almost (now I said almost so don't go off on that), twice their size? So instead of all the other tangents like betting whether or not BL would beat Pikeville and whether or not Brossart should be 1A or 2A. answer why you think its fair to move Pikeville up. Thats what started this topic, not about where I think Brossart should be.
This thread went from potential great discussion to idiotic ideas because of one poster. Just ignore him. When someone hates a school so much, that they get that illogical, it is obvious their opinions should not even be credited with a second glance.

Please return the discussion back to a Russell/Pikeville 2013 discussion. Talking about the two schools' non-districts and the Russell/Raceland discussion is fine as well as long as it stays mature. No more talk of Pikeville to AA which makes less than zero sense.

Thank you.
Live Maroon Wrote:Actually, could end up with a winning record out of these games. As for District, Pikeville plays who they're told to play. We don't pick our district opponents. It is what it is. That's why you see this kind of non-district schedule and I applaud Coach McNamee for scheduling tough teams. Could easily schedule 9 wins if he wanted, but that does nothing to get a team prepared for playoffs.

Couldn't have been said better Live Maroon. Coach Mac could have taken the easy way out, but wouldn't have done anything for this program. Really looking forward to the next few yrs.
I think everyone on here knows who sportsguru4u roots for. The only 1A teams Pikeville plays are the ones they have to. I think it's great Coach Mac schedules stronger competition for our boys. That's the reason we played in state semi finals last year. With the lost of leadership and experience we are not the same. But you still schedule the better teams. It only makes you better! All schools should do the same! Some coaches absolutely refuse to do this and can't make it in the playoffs. By doing this it only makes next year and the years to come only brighter for Pikeville! I'd rather see our boys record at .500 for the season and making noise in the playoffs then having a butt-load of wins and not make it past the 1st/2nd round of playoffs.

HAIL PIKEVILLE!!!!!
Pikeville will travel to Russell, but won't travel to Pike Central which is less than 3 miles away. It would be saving funds for schools and fans who travel to the games and even feed the kids on the team. They could play Pike Central instead of traveling to Russell which is about 2 hours.
hawkeye12 Wrote:Pikeville will travel to Russell, but won't travel to Pike Central which is less than 3 miles away. It would be saving funds for schools and fans who travel to the games and even feed the kids on the team. They could play Pike Central instead of traveling to Russell which is about 2 hours.
Please do not compare Pike Central and Russell.
This game will be played at Russell in 2013 and Pikeville in 2014. I will correct my initial post.
Pages: 1 2