Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is This Joker's Last Season at UK?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is Joker done at the end of this season? Should he be fired? Do you want him to get fired? Should he get a warning and one more season with certain expectations? Should he get two more seasons?

What say you?
I won't add anything more than I have already said about Joker and my dislike, but IMO, the Louisville and WKU losses cemented it for me unless he wins out! That's not going to happen, so yes, I do believe he is gone after this season.
I sure hope so
In a little over 2 seasons at UK he has a record of 12-16, 0-1 in bowls.
1st season= 6-7 (2-6 SEC 5th in East) and a loss in the Compass Bowl
2nd season= 5-7 (2-6 SEC 5th in East)
3rd season= 1-3 (0-1 SEC)

For perspective, Rich Brooks was 39-47 (16-39 SEC) with a 3-1 bowl record, Guy Morriss was 9-14 (4-12 SEC), Hal Mumme was 20-26 (10-22 SEC), Bill Curry was 26-52 (14-40 SEC) 0-1 bowl record, Jerry Claiborne was 41-46-3 (13-37 SEC) with a 1-1 bowl record.
^ Did each decline in three consecutive seasons?
I think Joker is gone after this year, so what UK needs to do is start contacting coaches that are available and/ or offensive/defensive coordinators and check their interest in coaching at UK. If Kentucky wants to get this right, they need to go into the offseason prepared.

I still think UK needs to give Joker one more season
Stardust Wrote:^ Did each decline in three consecutive seasons?

Over the last 50 years, Fran Curci, Jerry Claiborne and Rich Brooks are the only 3 head coaches with a better win percentage. UK football is and has been that bad for years. Between Curci and Claiborne, they have a combined bowl record of 1-2.

Rich Brooks elevated the program to new heights in his last 4 years. Joker is no worse than any other terrible coach that UK has had. His problem is injuries and that he followed the best UK football coach since Bear Bryant.
If I was the AD, what I do is start contacting coaches now, and make no secret about it. I would be certain to tell Joker first before I started, then I would tell the team or allow Joker to do it. While the season is going on and calls are being made, I would be sure to tell everyone that no change will be made this season and that Joker is not necessarily fired yet.

If you throw out interest and a very prized commodity takes interest, make the hire, if not, Joker knows and the team knows that he is on the hot seat. Hopefully, that makes him work even harder and inspires the players to play.

One thing I do NOT do is hire a coach with a dirty record. I would take a few more seasons of Joker before I hire a Petrino, Tressel, etc...
I would be surprised if he makes to the end of the season.
LWC Wrote:Over the last 50 years, Fran Curci, Jerry Claiborne and Rich Brooks are the only 3 head coaches with a better win percentage. UK football is and has been that bad for years. Between Curci and Claiborne, they have a combined bowl record of 1-2.

Rich Brooks elevated the program to new heights in his last 4 years. Joker is no worse than any other terrible coach that UK has had. His problem is injuries and that he followed the best UK football coach since Bear Bryant.

I totally disagree with everything that you have wrote here. First of all Rich Brooks was a good coach but he was not even close to Blanton Collier as a football coach, Collier was 76-34-2 with the Browns winning a NFL title ,Don Shula and Chuck Knox, are just a couple of coachs who learned the trade under Collier. Plus, Collier had winning record when he was fired from UK. Second your stats about Curci and Claiborne's bowl record are wrong, they were a combined 2-1 in Bowls games: (note it was much harder to go to a bowl game in that era). Finally Joker took over a UK football program that had been to 4 bowl games in a row, when Curci and Claiborne took over UK was total rebuilding job. Curci got caught doing what every other coach in the SEC was doing, Claiborne was a great Defensive coach who simply couldn't recruit the depth he needed to win in the SEC mostly because the state of Kentucky was way behind other SEC states in the leval of high school Football played. Claiborne beat every team in the SEC other than Bama in his time at UK and while at Maryland Claiborne developed Randy White into a Star and NFL Hall-of-Famer. Comparing Joker to Claiborne as X & O football coachs is like comparing Einstein to my Coon Dog! Claiborne was a Defensive master at UK, taking much less talented teams and stopping powerful SEC teams, UK was subject to beat anyone in the SEC when Claiborne was Coach. Plus Claiborne's last team at UK was 6-5 and sadly didn't get invited to a bowl game. Anyone who has watched Joker's teams can see that he has no clue to what he is doing! Putting Newton out there today is a perfect example of this, might as well put Newton's little brother the DT out there, I heard he could throw it better!
LWC Wrote:If I was the AD, what I do is start contacting coaches now, and make no secret about it. I would be certain to tell Joker first before I started, then I would tell the team or allow Joker to do it. While the season is going on and calls are being made, I would be sure to tell everyone that no change will be made this season and that Joker is not necessarily fired yet.

If you throw out interest and a very prized commodity takes interest, make the hire, if not, Joker knows and the team knows that he is on the hot seat. Hopefully, that makes him work even harder and inspires the players to play.

One thing I do NOT do is hire a coach with a dirty record. I would take a few more seasons of Joker before I hire a Petrino, Tressel, etc...

Petrinos record is not near as bad Cals.
Petrino!

Mark it down.
^ Don't say that RIUTG. The last time you told us to mark something down....well it didn't end good lol. I hope you're right though!
Either Petrino or Tressel. To Be honest I'd rather have Tressel but I'd take either
I cant see but one more win this year so i think he's gone.
I think there's a better chance of Stardust going a full day without posting on BGR than Joker getting another year to coach at UK.
WideRight05 Wrote:^ Don't say that RIUTG. The last time you told us to mark something down....well it didn't end good lol. I hope you're right though!

Sources. Confusedhh:
I think the lack of fan support has already decided Jokers fate.

Petrino? Hell no!

I'll become a buckeye fan if that one happens.
He has to be fired, no questions asked and I disagree with taking it slow. This needs to be done quick don't allow the last bit of fanbase left jump ship because at the rate they're going right now they will be lucky to keep 20k in the stands for the rest of the season.

IMO, once you lose by 30 or 40 over these next 3 games you make the announcement that he is going to be let go. You have to go after Petrino I get that, but you also need to go after other prospering coaches like the guy at Lousiana Monroe who could be a sure hire, go after the D coach at Bama, maybe Skip Holtz (has a pipeline in Fla) and then maybe Mark Helfrich the O coach at Oregon.
FBALL Wrote:Sources. Confusedhh:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what you said last time hahah!
FBALL Wrote:Sources. Confusedhh:

And what i'd say when it happened????????

I said it was because Shabazz was going to get looked at by the NCAA and cal didnt want him for fear of ineligibility.

Guess what, they are now investigating.

BOOM
FBALL Wrote:I think the lack of fan support has already decided Jokers fate.

Petrino? Hell no!

I'll become a buckeye fan if that one happens.

:Shaking:

And you call me a shitty fan....

Petrino.....unless HE chooses not to.
Should be his last game
RunItUpTheGut Wrote::Shaking:

And you call me a shitty fan....

Petrino.....unless HE chooses not to.

Yeah let's turn the program over to the damaged goods that is Bobby Petrino. I'd love to have a lying criminal with the absence of any loyalty running the show.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:And what i'd say when it happened????????

I said it was because Shabazz was going to get looked at by the NCAA and cal didnt want him for fear of ineligibility.

Guess what, they are now investigating.

BOOM
Sources. Lol

Calipari would take him in a heart beat. Looked into Noel too.
I guess it is the Steelers fan in me but how about getting Bill Cowher

:AngelPray
3 year decline doesn't look good at all...

I would be ok with him getting another year but will not be surprised if he is gone in December.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I totally disagree with everything that you have wrote here. First of all Rich Brooks was a good coach but he was not even close to Blanton Collier as a football coach, Collier was 76-34-2 with the Browns winning a NFL title ,Don Shula and Chuck Knox, are just a couple of coachs who learned the trade under Collier. Plus, Collier had winning record when he was fired from UK. Second your stats about Curci and Claiborne's bowl record are wrong, they were a combined 2-1 in Bowls games: (note it was much harder to go to a bowl game in that era). Finally Joker took over a UK football program that had been to 4 bowl games in a row, when Curci and Claiborne took over UK was total rebuilding job. Curci got caught doing what every other coach in the SEC was doing, Claiborne was a great Defensive coach who simply couldn't recruit the depth he needed to win in the SEC mostly because the state of Kentucky was way behind other SEC states in the leval of high school Football played. Claiborne beat every team in the SEC other than Bama in his time at UK and while at Maryland Claiborne developed Randy White into a Star and NFL Hall-of-Famer. Comparing Joker to Claiborne as X & O football coachs is like comparing Einstein to my Coon Dog! Claiborne was a Defensive master at UK, taking much less talented teams and stopping powerful SEC teams, UK was subject to beat anyone in the SEC when Claiborne was Coach. Plus Claiborne's last team at UK was 6-5 and sadly didn't get invited to a bowl game. Anyone who has watched Joker's teams can see that he has no clue to what he is doing! Putting Newton out there today is a perfect example of this, might as well put Newton's little brother the DT out there, I heard he could throw it better!

^So aside from Joker, has UK ever had a bad coach? It sounds like you are saying every coach has been great, OR the circumstances were beyond their control.
Petrino!
can someone post the link or the story from ESPN about Joker soon to being fired? I can't find it no where but did run across some of it on scout but wouldn't you know you have to be a paid subscriber to read anything from scout
Pages: 1 2