Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lafayette 42 Henry Clay 21
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final
cant belive this score
Lafayette's Tranard Chester showed off great hands in snagging passes against Henry Clay on Friday night.

Chester also showed off some smooth dance moves as he shimmied to the beat of the Lafayette band early in the fourth quarter of the Generals' 42-21 victory.

It was that kind of celebratory night for host Lafayette as it beat the Blue Devils for the fourth time in five years. The Generals lead the 65-year-old rivalry 35-31-2.

Chester, a 6-foot-3 senior, had six catches for 160 yards and three touchdowns, so he can be forgiven for his fancy two-step.

"I really shouldn't do that," he said of his impromptu dance. "But we've got such a good group of guys and things were going so well. The heat of the moment took over so I did a couple moves."

Lafayette's offense had all the right moves in rolling up 455 total yards.

Garrett Peavler completed 15 of 26 passes for 299 yards and three TDs, and was picked off twice.

"Garrett's a great quarterback," Chester said. "I like the combination we have. He throws it and I go get it."

Kylan Nelson carried the load on the ground, rushing 18 times for 140 yards, including two TDs.

"It's the linemen," Nelson said. "Good blocking ... the best we've had all year."

Lafayette's defense did its job. Its top priority was containing Henry Clay's speedy backs, especially junior Elijah Bell. In his previous two games, Bell rushed for almost 600 yards and six TDs on just 26 carries. Lafayette "limited" him to 134 yards and one TD on 22 attempts.

The Devils' Davion Jackson and DeArion Jones combined for 51 yards.

"They've got three really good backs, and (TV) did a special on them," Lafayette linebacker Justin Carr said. "I think they should do a special on our defense now."

Carr led the Generals with 10 tackles. Nick Lincavage had 8 tackles and two interceptions. Malik Robinson, T.J. Broadus and Mason Alstatt were also solid on defense.

Henry Clay jumped out to a 13-0 lead on Jones' 92-yard interception return and Bell's 16-yard run.

But the Devils were done in by their own mistakes the rest of the night. They had four turnovers, more than a half-dozen bad snaps, and some costly penalties.

They also had trouble throwing the ball. Rhoman James and Sammy Carter were a combined 5-for-12 for 57 yards and three picks.

Henry Clay Coach Sam Simpson was "frustrated" by his team's performance.

Lafayette Coach Carl Hayden was happy with the way his team rallied from that early 13-0 hole.

"We make it a point in pre-season to put them in positions where things don't go well, and we see how they come out of it," he said.

As for Friday night's turnaround, Hayden said, "I think you get to a point where you're just sick of it, and you just want to start playing some good football."

The Generals scored twice in 100 seconds to take the lead for good against Henry Clay. After Nelson darted 43 yards for a TD to get the Generals going, their defense got the ball back when Lincavage picked off a Henry Clay pass that was deflected by Alstatt.

On the next snap, Lafayette scored again, this time on a flea-flicker 45-yard pass from Peavler to Chester. Nathan Gillespie kicked the extra point to put the Generals ahead 14-13.

Lafayette wound up out-scoring the Devils 35-8, and once the band started playing to celebrate, Chester couldn't help himself. He felt like dancing.

Henry Clay 7 6 0 8 -- 21

Lafayette 0 14 21 7 -- 42

HC—DeArion Jones 92 interception return (Taylor Dunbar kick). HC—Elijah Bell 16 run (kick failed). L—Kylan Nelson 43 run (Nathan Gillespie kick). L—Tranard Chester 45 pass from Garrett Peavler (Gillespie kick). L—Chester 35 pass from Peavler (Gillespie kick). L—Kylan Nelso 2 run (Gillespie kick). L—Nelson 66 run (Gillespie kick). HC—Jones 10 run (Jones pass from Sammy Carter). L—Chester 34 pass from Peavler (Gillespie kick).

Records--Henry Clay 3-3; Lafayette 3-3

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/09/21/23462...rylink=cpy
Pages: 1 2