Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSAA Eligibility ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A student is retained during the 2011-2012 school year from the 8th to 7th grade. This change was made after the school year started but before the end of the year. He was not promoted to the 9th grade but returned to 7th to finish out the school year and then was promoted to 8th grade. Below is the KHSAA stated rule.

Sec 2) Ineligibility for Repeating Students
A student having been enrolled in the fourth (4th) grade or in any
grade through twelfth (12th) shall not be eligible for interscholastic
athletics at the high school level (grades 9 through 12) for more
than a total of one (1) year in each grade and applicable eligibility
shall begin in the fi rst year enrolled in that grade. A student
repeating a grade for any reason is ineligible to participate in
interscholastic athletics at the high school level (grades 9 through
12) during the second year in that grade. The penalty for violation
of this rule shall be the loss of one of the four years of eligibility
after being promoted from grade nine (9). Policies regarding the
participation of repeating students at the levels of play below high
school interscholastic athletics shall be determined by the school
council pursuant to KRS 160.345 (2) (i).

What would be considered the repeat year 2011-2012 or 2012-2013 for ineligible for high school sports?
undercoverwildcat Wrote:A student is retained during the 2011-2012 school year from the 8th to 7th grade. This change was made after the school year started but before the end of the year. He was not promoted to the 9th grade but returned to 7th to finish out the school year and then was promoted to 8th grade. Below is the KHSAA stated rule.

Sec 2) Ineligibility for Repeating Students
A student having been enrolled in the fourth (4th) grade or in any
grade through twelfth (12th) shall not be eligible for interscholastic
athletics at the high school level (grades 9 through 12) for more
than a total of one (1) year in each grade and applicable eligibility
shall begin in the fi rst year enrolled in that grade. A student
repeating a grade for any reason is ineligible to participate in
interscholastic athletics at the high school level (grades 9 through
12) during the second year in that grade. The penalty for violation
of this rule shall be the loss of one of the four years of eligibility
after being promoted from grade nine (9). Policies regarding the
participation of repeating students at the levels of play below high
school interscholastic athletics shall be determined by the school
council pursuant to KRS 160.345 (2) (i).

What would be considered the repeat year 2011-2012 or 2012-2013 for ineligible for high school sports?

My son was retained in the 8th grade, If the student was not promoted to the 9th grade the KHSAA has no authority. The only thing that may effect his high school career would be his age , if he turns 19 before August of his senior year he will not be eligiable his senior year. As far as his eligability in middle school for that holdback year depends soley on that school districts policy, some allow them to play in their holdback year and some don't.
cherokee Wrote:My son was retained in the 8th grade, If the student was not promoted to the 9th grade the KHSAA has no authority. The only thing that may effect his high school career would be his age , if he turns 19 before August of his senior year he will not be eligiable his senior year. As far as his eligability in middle school for that holdback year depends soley on that school districts policy, some allow them to play in their holdback year and some don't.

They have say so if he wants to participate in high school athletics. He would not be allowed to play, tennis, golf, run track, basketball, play freshman or jv soccer or football or any sport that has 9-12 graders.
It is my understanding that if he started 8th grade even though he went back to 7th it would be considered repeating 8th. I would definatly check with KHSAA before allowing to participate in any HS sport.
We had a kid at Whitley a few years back who got held back in 8th grade primarily for sports.
He LOST a year of high school eligibility because of it and didnt get to play anything his senior year.
The only way he would have lost any eligiblity would be for age. You can't play football in the 8th grade on HS. However, i believe where this rule applies is when you have a kid that might play baseball or basketball. If they stayed back in 7th grade they would not be able to play that year and the next on a HS team. I could be wrong.
In this scenario they would be ineligible to play high school sports in the current year after returning to the 7th grade and also be ineligible the next year when he went back to the 8th grade however he would be eligible for all 4 years of high school. RIUTG, if that happened it had to be because the kid got promoted from the 8th grade and then it was decided for him to repeat the 8th grade. The KHSAA rule says once they are promoted from the 8th grade the have 4 year of HS eligibility that's why you would have to have a kid return to the 7th grade before the end of their 8th grade year. Most people do it during Christmas break. The best way is to repeat the 7th grade with never allowing them to be in the 8th grade that way they will be eligible to participate in appropriate HS sports during their 8th grade year! Hope this helps!
^
Sorry guys, i forgot to mention the reason.
He ended up turning 19 before August 1st of his senior year, and didnt know that at the time of being held back as he had already been held back once in 5th or 6th grade.
My son was held in 7th grade. He was not eligible to play high schools sports in the year that he was repeating. He couldn't play any high school sport that repeating 7th grade year according to KHSAA. We had to sign a statement from our school stating that we understood that.
According to KHSAA Bylaw 4 each athlete has 8 semesters of eligibility in high school that begins with promotion to 9th grade and ends with the completion of spring sports in their 4th year of high school.

In addition to those 8 semesters, students in lower grades (7th, 8th) can participate on high school teams without affecting their 8 semesters of eligibility. (Except football and boys soccer). For instance a 7th grade basketball player can play on the high school freshman team and he will still have 4 years of eligibility in high school.

However, if a student is held back prior to being promoted to 9th grade, that student cannot participate in high school athletics during that year that they are repeating a lower grade. Once they are promoted to 9th grade, they still get their 8 semesters of eligibility, they don't lose a year of high school eligibility just because they were held back in 7th grade, for instance.
i know this boy from middlesboro and he held back twice in the middle school for sports once in 6th grade and 8th grade and he was still able to play his senior year but he was young and he turn 19 after august so i guess that meant he could play then
Buc-a-roo stole my thunder. I'm familiar with this rule from a situation we had with one of our baseball athletes a few years back. Birth date wise, he still falls into the guidelines of completing high school at the age of 18, thus he has all four years of eligibility in High School . We did not allow middle school athletes, thus it was not a factor of him competing in HS during his 8th grade year(s).