Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: BGR Coaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is your team...what type of offense/defense would you run to succeed?
What formations would you use?

Offense

QB - Throwing power is excellent while his accuracy struggles. His leadership skills are solid. Has good enough speed to escape the pocket if it collapses but is not a consistent running threat.

RBs- Probably the most stable part of your offense. You have a speedster capable of breaking open a run and can also bull for 4-5 yards a carry. Your FB is a solid blocker - but don't depend on him to get more than 2-3 yards, and he is fumble prone. You have a backup RB that runs a 4.45 40 yard dash, but his speed is about all he is good for.

WRs- You have a 6-3 wideout that can catch the deep ball occasionally - if the QB doesn't overthrow him. You have 2-3 other guys that are solid possession receivers.

TEs- The weakest part of your offense. You have one that is a solid blocker, but he is inconsistent at that and drops a lot of passes.

Offensive Line- Above average compared to most high school offensive lines. They have been most consistent in the ground game. They are solid at pass blocking for the most part, but struggle when it comes to picking up blitzes.

Defense

Defensive Line- You have one defensive tackle big as a horse. He is the anchor of your defense. At 6-5, 290 pounds, he is capable of wrecking havoc against the qb on the pass or stuffing the run in the backfield. Your left defensive end is 6-5 and 220. He is talented at getting to the quarterback, but struggles in stopping the run. The other linemen on your team are average high school players.

Linebackers- You have two linebackers that are above average. Both are similar style players, solid at making reads and stuffing the run. The other linebackers on your team are average high school players.

Defensive backs- You have a safety returning who had 7 interceptions last season and holds down the secondary. Your corners on the team are above average for high school ball.

Let's hear it BGR coaches. What would you do? If additional info is needed I will provide. Big Grin
I run a spread offense to attack. It opens running lanes for my back and also allows him to get on the edge to use his speed. I run a lot of option stuff and some sprint outs. For defense I don't recommend it but seems as if your line is the anchor of your defense so i would run a 3-4 with my d tackle moving to nose guard.
Offense
I would run a pro style package Leaned heavily toward the run. With the occasional play action called to keep the D on their toes. Mainly though I would play to my strength of a good line, and good backs, and not put too much pressure on my qb who isn't a solid player yet. Plus the occasional naked bootleg to make things exciting lol.

Defense

I would run a 3-4 rotating out my two good linemen with the average guys too keep everyone from getting too tired a fresh D-Front is a deadly one. I would blitz alot and rely on my ball hawking safety and good corners to hold down the fort in the secondary running alot of zone with some press man coverage thrown in too keep the O guessing, Good DB's in place I would try to disguise coverages to confuse HS qb's
Triple Option on offense.
4-3 on defense.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Triple Option on offense.
4-3 on defense.

Sounds good to me - if we've got good corners and a big safety - I'm stackin' the box!
^
We have to be able to switch the triple option up some. We can run it out of the wishbone, veer, or I formation, and like Whitley does now with a spread formation.
If ran correctly, the triple option offense IMO is the hardest for a high school defense to stop.

As far as the D goes, a 4-3 would be great, got to have some speed though.
Interesting, like the idea of the wishbone. Would the lack of a true TE hurt your teams ability to run that?
Offense- Spread, more opportunity for the RBs to get into space and for the QB to utilize his offensive playmakers on the outside.

Defense- 3-4 with a lot of stunts and blitz to make things difficult for the blockers and to afford your defensive playmakers some space to fill gaps and pressure the QB.
WideRight05 Wrote:Interesting, like the idea of the wishbone. Would the lack of a true TE hurt your teams ability to run that?

Actually it wouldn't. With the wishbone, you can fake to the fullback up the middle on an iso, then fake a toss to one RB while you pull out and counter the other direction and still have the otherRB to pitch to or keep in and run yourself.
As i said though, it is very hard to find a high school QB who is smart enough to read defenses that quickly, its why you dont see it much.
[Image: 300px-Wishbone_Formation.svg.png]

With the Veer, youve eliminated your FB, but it gives you a tight end which could be an easy target on a waggle play because he will usually be left alone by the defense. Also, if you do decide to go through with the run, you have an extra blocker on the line.

[Image: 400px-Triple_Option_veer.jpg]

Personally, i love the wishbone triple option. Theres so many possibilites its endless, and its hard for defenses to read the fakes. Im not big on the Veer, because if youve got a bruiser FB its to important not to use.
Also, i like an option offense utilizing to slot backs with a FB directly behind QB. Ive seen Whitley in that formation a time or two.
Offense: Pistol Spread

Base Defense: 3-4 Cover 1
D-Line: Big Nasty at nose, 2 DTs play head up on offensive tackles and do not have contain unless called. good LBs play inside, run 1st. avg LBs outside, run 1st with contain, good safety plays to strong or wide side, out of the box.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
We have to be able to switch the triple option up some. We can run it out of the wishbone, veer, or I formation, and like Whitley does now with a spread formation.
If ran correctly, the triple option offense IMO is the hardest for a high school defense to stop.

As far as the D goes, a 4-3 would be great, got to have some speed though.

If I ran a team - I would run the triple option of the pistol with a full house.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgjU2wkmCTlI_cONA6Uyr...FRNLxgytfU]

I'm a big fan of the pistol - not a lot of people run it - especially in High School.
Perry actually runs some shotgun fullhouse stuff this year and had success with it - but I hate running out of the shotgun
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Actually it wouldn't. With the wishbone, you can fake to the fullback up the middle on an iso, then fake a toss to one RB while you pull out and counter the other direction and still have the otherRB to pitch to or keep in and run yourself.
As i said though, it is very hard to find a high school QB who is smart enough to read defenses that quickly, its why you dont see it much.
[Image: 300px-Wishbone_Formation.svg.png]

With the Veer, youve eliminated your FB, but it gives you a tight end which could be an easy target on a waggle play because he will usually be left alone by the defense. Also, if you do decide to go through with the run, you have an extra blocker on the line.

[Image: 400px-Triple_Option_veer.jpg]

Personally, i love the wishbone triple option. Theres so many possibilites its endless, and its hard for defenses to read the fakes. Im not big on the Veer, because if youve got a bruiser FB its to important not to use.
Also, i like an option offense utilizing to slot backs with a FB directly behind QB. Ive seen Whitley in that formation a time or two.

I like the veer in small doses - mainly because I enjoy putting 2 WRs on one side (one of them not really a WR - more like a LB lol) and having him crack the piss out of a corner and then pick up an extra block in the same play lol
Flexbone on offense
As a Veerologist, it is one of the best and most underrated offensive system in football. So yeah, run that. As for the D, I'd suggest a 4-2-5, of course that would vary on what type of teams you play, as the only info I was told this would be one of the best bets.
Real Badman Wrote:As a Veerologist, it is one of the best and most underrated offensive system in football. So yeah, run that. As for the D, I'd suggest a 4-2-5, of course that would vary on what type of teams you play, as the only info I was told this would be one of the best bets.
Run the veer out of what set?
After looking at your defensive returners....I would put the beast at the nose and slant and angle the End. Lock up the corners and bring the heat...run a 3-4
zaga_fan Wrote:If I ran a team - I would run the triple option of the pistol with a full house.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgjU2wkmCTlI_cONA6Uyr...FRNLxgytfU]

I'm a big fan of the pistol - not a lot of people run it - especially in High School.
Perry actually runs some shotgun fullhouse stuff this year and had success with it - but I hate running out of the shotgun

That is similar to what GTech runs.
I know they have the two slot backs with a back directly behind center, with WR's on both sides.

[Image: 400px-SpreadOptionFormation.JPG]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:That is similar to what GTech runs.
I know they have the two slot backs with a back directly behind center, with WR's on both sides.

[Image: 400px-SpreadOptionFormation.JPG]

G-Tech runs the flex bone - which is the same is basically full-house but a triple option on every play.

The only reason I would move the QB into the pistol is so that he can see things a little better and check down to a pass if needed.

But I know how most of you guys feel about passing lol
Offense: Singleback
Defense: 4-2-5 with the star safety being the rover
zaga_fan Wrote:G-Tech runs the flex bone - which is the same is basically full-house but a triple option on every play.

The only reason I would move the QB into the pistol is so that he can see things a little better and check down to a pass if needed.

But I know how most of you guys feel about passing lol

I was completely confused and wrong there for a sec. I understand whatg your saying know.
Realistically I don't trust my passing game in this scenario. Possession receivers depend on timing and accuracy. So they are nullified by the qb leaving me only one real option to throw to.

So offensively I would run something like the triple option get my qb and speedster out in space. And once that is taken away pound the middle. Maybe even har the starter an backup on field at the same time. To have dependable hands going into the line and still speed to the outside.

Seems my defense is built around athletes. So I would run a 3-3-5. That way all my above average corners and safeties are on the field. As well as my dt and pass rushing d end. I can rely on my two run stuffing linebackers to stop the run. Also the blitzes and coverages you run could be endless and hard for opposing offenses to gameplan for.
Wing T and Wide Tackle 6.

The forward pass should be outlawed.