Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ironton, OH 27 - Ashland 17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final
congrats to the tigers
Welp two threads on this one.
Congrats tigers. To many missed chances. Dropped passes, pass protection shaky. We had our chances. But didn't capitalize. We play Ironton to get better. So learn from the mistakes and get better. Keep working cats.
"Its just ashland!"
Patrick Lewis = difference maker
FBALL Wrote:Patrick Lewis = difference maker

You got that right.
This game was Ashlands to lose an lose we did by throwing the ball instead of running it down there throats like we did for better part of 3 quarters. Makes no sense.
Ashland to lose...Get real you got out coached played and out physicaled all night!!! Wake up you not as good as you think you are..And as ALWAYS your still just ashland... lol
hardknocks4 Wrote:Ashland to lose...Get real you got out coached played and out physicaled all night!!! Wake up you not as good as you think you are..And as ALWAYS your still just ashland... lol

That's why Ashland had 10-7 lead with about 9 minutes to go? Cause they got out played all night? Ironton had no answer for our running game. When we started throwing the football the clock stopped would give Ironton a break and got us out of a rythym. We left 14 points on the field. Missed sallow for two wide open td's one Elam overthrew him the other he never saw him wide open down the sideline. Also on the 4th and 7 if baker doesn't stumble running the curl route he probably gets a first down. Ironton was very good but by no means did they out physical us all night.
hardknocks4 if you were at the game you must of been in the bathroom taking a huge dump! Because you didn't see the game that myself and the rest of the packed stadium watched. The difference in the game was Mr. lewis he is very good! Watching the game I think it was pretty even on the physical part. I just hope you washed your hands after you left the bathroom!
Suprised there isn't more discussion on this game, but I guess there aren't any Ironton fans on here.

Read the article in the Huntington paper. Sounded like Baker had a nice game for Ashland, but Elam didn't have the best night throwing the ball. From the way the article read, it sounded like Ashland held Lewis in check to a large degree but they just kept feeding him and he broke three long runs.

Did both teams move the ball consistently or was there a fair amount of punting in this game?
Lewis had 13 carries for 265 yards. He had 15 for 241 against Russell two weeks ago. I think he likes playing against Kentucky teams.
This game could've been 21-7 at the half or 21-0. Ashland. I hate to say it but I'm going to referees should not effect the out come of a game but the first 2 quarters that's exactly what they did. I think it went something like 6or7 penalties against Ashland to 1 against ironton. On the only score for ironton first half Lewis cuts back across field, change direction 3 times. Hard to believe not a single hold or block in the back? Ashland moved the ball well running an the short pass pretty much the whole game. Second half different story as far as refs they balanced it out pretty good but I think most of the damage was done, inside the 10/15 yard line 3 other times first half without converting ironton never crosses the 50 until 1:27togo in half with the cross field. Runback. Still leading game with i10 mins in 4th quarter somebody decides that runing the ball down there collective throats wasn't working an we should throw about 12 times in a row on consecutive series with 20+ yard passes when the short passes were very effective along with the run. Idk sounds like coaches may have panicked an wanted quick. Score instead of controlling the clock the way we were with the run an short pass. That's my opinion. Very frustrating Im not convinced the best team got the W that night. Neutral field wouldve been great.

Let the slamming begin.
13 carries for 265? Wow.

Lewis getting any DI looks? He looks well put together.
BADCAT74 Wrote:This game could've been 21-7 at the half or 21-0. Ashland. I hate to say it but I'm going to referees should not effect the out come of a game but the first 2 quarters that's exactly what they did. I think it went something like 6or7 penalties against Ashland to 1 against ironton. On the only score for ironton first half Lewis cuts back across field, change direction 3 times. Hard to believe not a single hold or block in the back? Ashland moved the ball well running an the short pass pretty much the whole game. Second half different story as far as refs they balanced it out pretty good but I think most of the damage was done, inside the 10/15 yard line 3 other times first half without converting ironton never crosses the 50 until 1:27togo in half with the cross field. Runback. Still leading game with i10 mins in 4th quarter somebody decides that runing the ball down there collective throats wasn't working an we should throw about 12 times in a row on consecutive series with 20+ yard passes when the short passes were very effective along with the run. Idk sounds like coaches may have panicked an wanted quick. Score instead of controlling the clock the way we were with the run an short pass. That's my opinion. Very frustrating Im not convinced the best team got the W that night. Neutral field wouldve been great.

Let the slamming begin.

Referees. Definitely affected the score in the first half. But on the Lewis td if we bring him down in the backfield like we should have those missed calls never happen. Also like you said the second half was much better. But missing open receivers and letting the refs effect us mentally cannot happen anymore. We didn't get calls we normally do and it caused us to try to overcompensate by doing to much with play calling and pressing on every play. That lack of execution cost us the W cause we should have won in spite of the refs had we just controlled what we could control.
FBALL Wrote:Lewis had 13 carries for 265 yards. He had 15 for 241 against Russell two weeks ago. I think he likes playing against Kentucky teams.

Hopefully he keeps it up against Johnson Central in 2 weeks.
Got to see this game in person and on replay. Thought all of the talk of the referees was way overblown. Saw several of the penalties myself on the one drive in the first half. The refs did not cause the outcome of this game. Just because the penalty count was heavy toward Ashland does not mean they werent committed.Patrick Lewis and Ashland Defense's lack to contain him did cost them the game. If they contain him then I think they win the game even if there was a ref bias as you say in the first half.

As far as passing the ball is concerned, the QB had a bad night throwing the ball. He ran it well but didnt throw it well and a lot of the routes were open if the throw is there plus the short routes were successful in the first half.
Never said we didn't commit any 64cat. but are you trying to say Ironton didn't??

Bottom line referees affected the momentum of the game for Ashland first half an that's huge in a game like this going into halftime leading by 3 scores is quite the confidence booster being flagged on every possession keeping a team out of the redzone an then having a kid run a crazy crossfield 60 yard runback without a flag in sight is amazing to me as flag happy as they where everytime Ashland got more that 10/15 yard gain. But again we still had a chance to win this game late in the 4th an coaches got pass happy for some reason? An it just wasn't working. But we kept slingin it, that is there fault not the refs or anybody else solely on the coaches in the 4th.
First let me say that Ashaland has a heck of a football team period...Penalties did hurt them in the game no doubt as they did Ironton.. But to say that refering cost you all the game is simply not true.. Just because you dont like the call they made doesnt mean the penalty didnt happen. if we did this if we did that we should did this the coach should have does this doesnt mean a thing..When it get down to the brass tacks these are high school kids playing a game that we all love to watch.. See you all a putnam next year and get to enjoy another year of great rivalry...
64cat Wrote:Got to see this game in person and on replay. Thought all of the talk of the referees was way overblown. Saw several of the penalties myself on the one drive in the first half. The refs did not cause the outcome of this game. Just because the penalty count was heavy toward Ashland does not mean they werent committed.Patrick Lewis and Ashland Defense's lack to contain him did cost them the game. If they contain him then I think they win the game even if there was a ref bias as you say in the first half.

As far as passing the ball is concerned, the QB had a bad night throwing the ball. He ran it well but didnt throw it well and a lot of the routes were open if the throw is there plus the short routes were successful in the first half.

I agree. I watched the replay. Ashland had more penalties but some of them were obvious. Ironton also had penalties. They had the roughing penalty that gave a first down and kept that second drive going after Asland Blazer was flagged for holding. The only bad call I saw was a facemask they missed that should have been called against Ironton.

Just too much Patrick Lewis. Don't Blame the refs. You got beat. It happens.
PaytoPlay Wrote:13 carries for 265? Wow.

Lewis getting any DI looks? He looks well put together.

If he's not he probably should be. Only drawback is size. He is put together but he's not very big. But damn he is fast.
^ Yeah you would think Marshall and Ohio U at the very least would start taking notice.
i was at this game, as i am every ironton game. the penalty yards were virtually the same. ashland is tough. and i personally think had ashland not abandoned their running game, which was paying huge dividends. this would have went either way. late in the game ashland was just victimized by big plays.it was a very good game to take on.