Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Art of Trolling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Upon seeing many troll discussions on here, it got me to thinking - what makes a good troll in your eyes? What makes a bad troll? How does one master the art of trolling?
A guy who is an extreme smart butt. And a person who can talk crap and take it without getting their panties in a wad.
Zaga's Rules of Trolling

Rule #1 - Don't try too hard - Never make it look like you are going out of your way to troll. It is best to slide it into normal conversations. Posters are more likely to take the bait if you do this.

Rule #2 - Remember English class - You can only be taken seriously if you use correct punctuation, capitalization and spelling. Try typing your posts out in Microsoft Word and use the spelling/grammar check if you struggle with this.

Rule #3 - Never break the rules - You can't be a serious troll if you're banned. A true troll will only provoke others to break rules and never do anything worthy of an infraction.

Rule #4 - Study up or shut up - Nothing looks worse than when a troll goes out on a limb to talk trash and gets put in their place. Let's say you provoke a particular fan-base and they rout your team on Monday Night Football: doesn't that hang a dark cloud over your trolling? See what I did there?

Rule #5 - Know when to quit - You can look foolish quickly if you don't know when to stop. Some more experienced posters can easily thwart your attempts to troll, especially if you don't pick and choose your battles. Don't push the issue with these posters!

Rule #6 - Start out by picking on Strikeout King - He can accidentally post "2+2=5" and will argue that he is right and you are wrong. He is an easy target for trolls Smile
Zaga, you're scaring me - here you start a troll thread in the NFL forum that goes two pages, and now this excellent piece of work? You should consider trolling!

Now, here is my trolling philosophy...

1. Wait for the right time - Looks similar to what Zaga wrote, and in a way it is. The best times are always Fridays after games. People have a lot of emotion running through them from maybe a big game that went into overtime, an upset, etc. and most are either eager to get on here and brag to the people that were against their team if they win, or they will be defensive if their team loses. A troll post (See: "Does Belfry ever lose hope?") right after a big loss for a team will usually get things going. In addition, everyone that attended the game probably has some caffeine in them from a pop or two. Believe me (I have quit drinking pop for the past several months) it makes a difference in the emotions of a person.

2. Shoot for the big crowds - Example: Belfry. I like Belfry and usually get to see their consistent and powerful rushing attack at the state finals every year. But, Belfry has a big group of fans on here, and a passionate one at that. You're not going to troll if you attack a school like Pendleton County that (to my knowledge) does not have any fans on this site.

3. Spelling - This is where Zaga and I have different philosophies. I definitely don't mean to spell like 4_real, Vector, or WideMiddle03, but if you are calling someone out on a fact or trying to make them look stupid, misspell an occasional word. Use "we are going to kick they're butts" or something of that nature. That usually suckers a few more in.

4. Know when to quit - You don't want to go overboard. Take your shots and get out of dodge for a while. This doesn't apply to the pro forums, but NEVER take a shot at a team after a playoff loss. I like to crack jokes and get under people's skin on here, but when the season is over, it's over. Kids are hurt because their football careers are over, and communities are hurt. Someone who is a true troll probably would do the opposite of that - but I just don't have the heart to pull something like that off lol.

5. Have fun with it! - A lot of people perceive trolls to be angry, hateful, insecure, etc. I get a lot of laughs out of it. I know Wideleft01 probably has a completely different philosophy to it. If your team gets beat, own up to it. Any troll that gets emotionally worked up is a bad troll...hence my term, "reverse trolling." Spud had a good point on this as well.

I probably should have explained myself further before. It's an enjoyable experience simply to kick back and get on BGR and I love posting here. It may seem like sometimes I am hateful, but I do it all in good natured fun. I tried to quit trolling last year and be a reasonable poster - but still had the troll perception from many, so I thought what the heck? Might as well go back into it and bring out both the reasonable side of me (mainly on the political forum...although ANYONE who posts on there is a troll lol) and the troll side. Still trying to work on expressing myself on both sides correctly.

Like me, hate me, I'm proud to be who I am on here.
Comedy makes a good troll.

It is not a succesful troll until you can be sarcastic and witty, not only with the subject, but more importantly with how you navigate the responses. Anyone can fan the flames,,, but the best can do it with an air of invincibility.
All we have is a collection of Flamers, nothing original or factual, just copy catting of others!

[Image: Fan%20the%20Flame.jpg]
This could go in so many different directions
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyDkseSCMFkTFZSLGOuBm...wHJtKrEWJQ]
^ Totally not straight, like Dusty. Confusednicker:
Stardust Wrote:[Image: item_3131.jpg]
oh my
WideRight05 Wrote:Zaga, you're scaring me - here you start a troll thread in the NFL forum that goes two pages, and now this excellent piece of work? You should consider trolling!

I guess by "goes two pages" you mean one page?
^ Some people have problems with math! Don't make fun of......

[Image: late-payments-depression-400x400.jpg]

Confusednicker:
trolling is stupid and so are grammer rules
trolling is stupid and so are grammer rules

It must just be human nature to hate those things we cant do, or know anything about.
yeah your cool seger
:thatsfunn:haters:
nky Wrote::thatsfunn:haters:

That's not funny.
zaga_fan Wrote:I guess by "goes two pages" you mean one page?

Until you and your boyfriend Dusty made it one page. Confusednicker:
^ Too bad people still reply even after Lefty and I have done it 100 times. We always find a way to win. Confusednicker: