Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WYMT Sports Overtime Mountain Top Ten
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hawks32 Wrote:that seems like good mountain top 10 but i dont understand,y is it tht pike central won 4 in a roll and never did get in,even though they lost friday and belfry got beat by henry clay and move up to number 2?i know henry clay is a 6a school but belfry beat em last year and nobody said anything about it.

Henry Clay would be the favorite against every team in that Top 10 with the only exception possibly being Bell County. Bell's most impressive win to date was over Bryan Station who is very similar to Henry Clay and probably a slightly better team then the Blue Devils IMO.

As for PCC, let's not just brush over their loss like it's no big deal. they got blew out by a Pburg team who hung 80+ points on them. This is the same Pburg team who lost to Belfry by almost 50 points the week prior in a game that could have been much worse.

At this point I don't believe PCC is better than SC and Lawrence County (one beat Pburg, the other came inches away), let alone worthy of Top 10 Status.
Most everyone who comments on BGR threads knows high school football, or at least they SHOULD. Those who bash Williamsburg because they have a "weak" schedule need to understand a couple of things.

First, Williamsburg shut out a very good Harlan team. Harlan's other two losses were to Lex Christian by 3 and Middlesboro by 7. Harlan is a lot better than their 2-3 record indicates.

Second, Williamsburg is a young team. Half of their O and D lines are freshmen and sophomores. They have two receivers who are seniors but most of the completions are made by the sophomore receivers. Their running backs are sophomores and the starting QB is a junior.

Finally, Jerry Herron took this bunch of young 'uns to Oneida, Tennesse, to play a AA team that went to the state quarterfinals last year. Oneida returned 16 seniors and 16 starters this year!... and Williamsburg came to within a yard of winning the game as time expired.

On a side note, to the poster who said Somerset would beat W'burg by 20, I beg to differ. The sophomores and freshmen who make up the core of the Jackets roster are the same bunch that won the state Middle School Class 3 championship two years ago. That season, Meece Middle lost in the playoffs and didn't make the trip to Lexington for the final four. Plus, the Jackets beat both Pulaski county middle school teams that year during the regular season, including a season opening win against Southern Pulaski, the eventual Class 1 state champions.
Avery Bullock Wrote:Most everyone who comments on BGR threads knows high school football, or at least they SHOULD. Those who bash Williamsburg because they have a "weak" schedule need to understand a couple of things.

First, Williamsburg shut out a very good Harlan team. Harlan's other two losses were to Lex Christian by 3 and Middlesboro by 7. Harlan is a lot better than their 2-3 record indicates.

Second, Williamsburg is a young team. Half of their O and D lines are freshmen and sophomores. They have two receivers who are seniors but most of the completions are made by the sophomore receivers. Their running backs are sophomores and the starting QB is a junior.

Finally, Jerry Herron took this bunch of young 'uns to Oneida, Tennesse, to play a AA team that went to the state quarterfinals last year. Oneida returned 16 seniors and 16 starters this year!... and Williamsburg came to within a yard of winning the game as time expired.

On a side note, to the poster who said Somerset would beat W'burg by 20, I beg to differ. The sophomores and freshmen who make up the core of the Jackets roster are the same bunch that won the state Middle School Class 3 championship two years ago. That season, Meece Middle lost in the playoffs and didn't make the trip to Lexington for the final four. Plus, the Jackets beat both Pulaski county middle school teams that year during the regular season, including a season opening win against Southern Pulaski, the eventual Class 1 state champions.

Somerset's juniors won 7th and 8th grade state champions, their freshman class won the 8th grade state last year. Williamsburg sophomores won their 8th grade year 2 years ago. Although there is a correlation between middle school teams and high school, they dont always convert that easily. Somersets team is made up of juniors mostly, who are in fact a year grade wise and also numerical age wise (2 years if you consider all the holdbacks) of your sophomore jackets. I would take Somerset by 20.
Our sophomore class is really weak, but it is coupled with really strong junior and freshman classes.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:Somerset's juniors won 7th and 8th grade state champions, their freshman class won the 8th grade state last year. Williamsburg sophomores won their 8th grade year 2 years ago. Although there is a correlation between middle school teams and high school, they dont always convert that easily. Somersets team is made up of juniors mostly, who are in fact a year grade wise and also numerical age wise (2 years if you consider all the holdbacks) of your sophomore jackets. I would take Somerset by 20.

Last time your senior class played against Dalton Sizemore was in the 8th grade when he played for whitley middle school he hung a 58-0 whipping on the briar jumpers and they threw the towel in the 3rd quarter after several injuries. The next year Whitley Middle with Sizemore beat your now junior bunch again. I wish we could play this game.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Henry Clay would be the favorite against every team in that Top 10 with the only exception possibly being Bell County. Bell's most impressive win to date was over Bryan Station who is very similar to Henry Clay and probably a slightly better team then the Blue Devils IMO.

As for PCC, let's not just brush over their loss like it's no big deal. they got blew out by a Pburg team who hung 80+ points on them. This is the same Pburg team who lost to Belfry by almost 50 points the week prior in a game that could have been much worse.

At this point I don't believe PCC is better than SC and Lawrence County (one beat Pburg, the other came inches away), let alone worthy of Top 10 Status.

That's a pretty big over valuation of HC. On neutral field I wouldn't make
them a solid favorite over any of the top 5 in the mountains. Er true top 5 which would get
Harlan Co. over Williamsburg.
Avery Bullock Wrote:Most everyone who comments on BGR threads knows high school football, or at least they SHOULD. Those who bash Williamsburg because they have a "weak" schedule need to understand a couple of things.

cherokee Wrote:Last time your senior class played against Dalton Sizemore was in the 8th grade when he played for whitley middle school he hung a 58-0 whipping on the briar jumpers and they threw the towel in the 3rd quarter after several injuries. The next year Whitley Middle with Sizemore beat your now junior bunch again. I wish we could play this game.

I dont think he plays for whitley anymore bud.. Whitley is always known for having a massive (physically) football team in middle school though, along with clay county. Like i said earlier, not all middle school teams translate into good highschool teams, luckily, whether its from kids quitting or whatever. Somersets 09' state runner up seniors didnt win a game in middle school their 8th grade year, but I as well wish we could play this game. I highly doubt we will considering neither of us are the coaches and neither of us make the schedules for the football teams. Good luck to Williamsburg and the rest of their easy schedule.
^
Good post.
I remember many year where our middle school would dominate and go undefeated but it never really translated over mostly due to kids quitting, moving, etc...

Its two totally different worlds.
Pages: 1 2