Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Griffey goes on DL with inflammation in knee
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CINCINNATI -- Ken Griffey Jr. went on the 15-day disabled list Monday night after a test found inflammation in a tendon behind his right knee.

"It's as much a precautionary thing. It's not anything serious. According to the doctor, he could be playing in a day or two, but we'd rather be safe at this time of year. " Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky

The Cincinnati Reds center fielder missed his fifth straight game with the injury, getting a magnetic resonance imaging test instead. He was put on the DL after a 9-1 victory over the Florida Marlins.

"You don't want it to get worse," Dr. Timothy Kremchek said. "The season's young. I think he's got peace of mind, and we've got peace of mind."

Griffey ran on a treadmill for 12 minutes earlier Monday and reported some improvement, but still felt tightness behind the knee. He wasn't available in the clubhouse after he was placed on the disabled list.

"It's as much a precautionary thing," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "It's not anything serious. According to the doctor, he could be playing in a day or two, but we'd rather be safe at this time of year."

Ken Griffey Jr.[Image: 4305.jpg]Center Field
Cincinnati Reds

Profile2006 SEASON STATISTICSGMHRRBIROBPAVG8273.333.258

The Reds are expected to activate catcher Jason LaRue before Tuesday's game. LaRue has been on a minor league assignment while recovering from knee surgery.

It's the latest in a series of setbacks for the 36-year-old Griffey, who came to spring training healthy for a change and was hoping to get through the season without a stay on the disabled list.

Griffey didn't expect the injury to take so long to heal. He first felt tightness behind the knee while he chased a fly ball during batting practice last Wednesday in Chicago. He left the game during the fourth inning because the leg was bothering him.

"It's tough," Griffey said, before Monday's game. "I hate to not be playing, more than anything."

Griffey won the NL's comeback player of the year award last season, when he played in 128 games and hit .301 with 35 homers and 92 RBI. He hadn't played more than 83 games in any of the three previous seasons, when he suffered a series of major injuries -- torn knee tendon, dislocated shoulder, torn ankle tissue, torn hamstring.

Griffey was healthy in spring training this year, and looked sharp during the World Baseball Classic. He hit a pair of homers before injuring the leg last week.

The series of setbacks taught Griffey the importance of being patient while an injury heals.

"I think I understand a little more now," he said. "I still have the same urge and desire to be out there."
Ridiculous..If it isn't serious than get your butt out there and earn your paycheck!
I'd rather have him getting healthy while playing the marlins and nationals than to see him missing games later on when they play the cards and astros.
venom93 Wrote:I'd rather have him getting healthy while playing the marlins and nationals than to see him missing games later on when they play the cards and astros.

My thoughts exactley. The Reds need him more then than they do now.
Yeah, he does this every year, then comes back and blows something out. Always helps when he comes back and they are 20 games out of first place now doesn't it!
He goes on the DL when he stubbs his toe, it's a joke and the biggest waste of money in Cinci city history
The Reds aren't exactly lacking any "pop" in the lineup. Him being in the DL gives Freel a chance to play everyday. I like to watch Griffey play, but i would rather him not push through a perhaps minor injury now and end up missing the entire season.
I hope he gets an opportunity to put it all together w/ Cincy...
Hopefully he will not get hurt too many more times this year
i am tired of this every year. i really like Jr. but enough is enough... if u can't play without hurtin urself then it is time to give it up
What a *****. Every year something happens to him. Cincy doesn't need him. Hell he hasn't done anything since he's been in a reds uniform (approximately 5 games in 5 years). He needs to retire or go somewhere else.
BCF4L Wrote:What a *****. Every year something happens to him. Cincy doesn't need him. Hell he hasn't done anything since he's been in a reds uniform (approximately 5 games in 5 years). He needs to retire or go somewhere else.
I agree with you.........time to hang it up:igiveup:
Told you, THE GRANT HILL OF MLB....OLD NEWS!
Since Jr has been with the Reds how many games a year does he usually miss due to injuries?
Too Many!