Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland @ Ironton,OH 9/14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know I'm starting this one kind of early. But this is the measuring stick game for our tomcats. Ironton is a very solid football team with revenge on there mind. Ashland has not won at Ironton Since there last state championship season of 1990. I'll have my predictions later but am ready to start the discussion.
I hate this phone. Can a mod please fix the title to say Ironton
Should be a good game. Always tuff to play over there wont be any different this year.
Ironton,OH 35

Ashland 28
I like Ashland by 3 TD's

Ashland 42
Ironton 21
It won't be high scoring.

Ironton 8
Ashland 7
After seeing both teams play I believe it will be Ironton 21 Ashland 14. Ashland has speed in the backfield but Ironton has speed and power in theirs.
Ashlands biggest worry should be the wildcat formation and the okay action pass. The belly dive plays they run won't work against Ashlands defense but it could bait them Into allowing big plays on the outside or over the top. Seems like everytime Ironton lined up in the wildcat it was a sweep with lewis. I am sure they have more they can do out of that formation. Another thing is I dont kick to him all game. Kick Coverage has been very suspect this year. Russell had some nice returns so if I'm Ashland I pooch it or get it out of bounds. The less you let Lewis touch the ball the better. He can beat you in so many ways.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Ashlands biggest worry should be the wildcat formation and the PLAY action pass. The belly dive plays they run won't work against Ashlands defense but it could bait them Into allowing big plays on the outside or over the top. Seems like everytime Ironton lined up in the wildcat it was a sweep with lewis. I am sure they have more they can do out of that formation. Another thing is I dont kick to him all game. Kick Coverage has been very suspect this year. Russell had some nice returns so if I'm Ashland I pooch it or get it out of bounds. The less you let Lewis touch the ball the better. He can beat you in so many ways.
haha I am really bad at this IPhone thing
Where have all the posts from the JCC fans gone? Normally they've been all over bgr on every thread on here. Seems to be a trend this year very quite by all them. (
I'm betting this might break some of the silence)
The KHSAA website indicates that the game is at Ironton. Therefore, Ironton will most likely win.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:The KHSAA website indicates that the game is at Ironton. Therefore, Ironton will most likely win.

The game being at Ironton means Ashland is down 14 points when they get off the bus. It's going to be a challenge that makes us better regardless of the outcome
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:The game being at Ironton means Ashland is down 14 points when they get off the bus. It's going to be a challenge that makes us better regardless of the outcome

True. My friends in Ironton make the same claim when they come to your field. I suspect that both claims are true.
[quote=Harry Rex Vonner]The KHSAA website indicates that the game is at Ironton. Therefore, Ironton will most likely win.

Looks like you've put a lot of thought into that Harry you come up with that all by yourself. But you are right historically we lose there an at home but we've got the home monkey off our back last few years. Next monkey is at Tank!
Go Cats!!!
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:True. My friends in Ironton make the same claim when they come to your field. I suspect that both claims are true.

I've seen Ashland get there share of calls at home no doubt. But one time while on the sideline at an Ironton Ashland game I hear the official utter the words our Ball. After an Ashland player came up with it. Idk if it's just the intimidating environment,home cooking or what. All I know is visiting teams don't get the calls very much.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I've seen Ashland get there share of calls at home no doubt. But one time while on the sideline at an Ironton Ashland game I hear the official utter the words our Ball. After an Ashland player came up with it. Idk if it's just the intimidating environment,home cooking or what. All I know is visiting teams don't get the calls very much.

Good post. Your stadium is known as an intimidating place to lesser schools who play you there. Of course, you are also well known around the Commonwealth for featuring a few local chefs wearing striped shirts. But, that is the way with most. Too many losing fans cannot just admit that their team lost because it was inferior to the winning team. They have to use the crutch of claiming foul.

I don't think you would use the crutch but I'm nit sure about BADCAT74.:thatsfunn

Anyway, regardless of the outcome, I hope your team plays well at Ironton. A win would add some credibility to your district which, in the end, makes our region look, at least on paper, a little better balanced.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Good post. Your stadium is known as an intimidating place to lesser schools who play you there. Of course, you are also well known around the Commonwealth for featuring a few local chefs wearing striped shirts. But, that is the way with most. Too many losing fans cannot just admit that their team lost because it was inferior to the winning team. They have to use the crutch of claiming foul.

I don't think you would use the crutch but I'm nit sure about BADCAT74.:thatsfunn

Anyway, regardless of the outcome, I hope your team plays well at Ironton. A win would add some credibility to your district which, in the end, makes our region look, at least on paper, a little better balanced.
Good teams at home that play in good environment should be able to influence officials. I'm actually proud Ashland gets those calls cause it means the fans are engaged and passionate and that can and does sway official. That's why places Like Ironton,Ashland,Belfry,Highlands,Bell Co and Johnson Central are so tough to play. Cause there fans impact the game. The sheer size of the crowd at Putnam stadium is enough to make any official second guess himself when he stares down the home crowd to make a call. It's a great home environment for the home team. It doesn't make any of those team cheaters it means there fans are doing what good fans should be and being loud and intimidating to the visiting team.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Good post. Your stadium is known as an intimidating place to lesser schools who play you there. Of course, you are also well known around the Commonwealth for featuring a few local chefs wearing striped shirts. But, that is the way with most. Too many losing fans cannot just admit that their team lost because it was inferior to the winning team. They have to use the crutch of claiming foul.

And Badcat not much unlike yourself and some other Highland fans like to ruffle feathers sometimes. But I haven't really seen him make excuses. If we get beat he usually says we just got beat. He just enjoys the jawing and the back and forth with you Nky Guys and the citizens of Johnson County
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Good teams at home that play in good environment should be able to influence officials. I'm actually proud Ashland gets those calls cause it means the fans are engaged and passionate and that can and does sway official. That's why places Like Ironton,Ashland,Belfry,Highlands,Bell Co and Johnson Central are so tough to play. Cause there fans impact the game. The sheer size of the crowd at Putnam stadium is enough to make any official second guess himself when he stares down the home crowd to make a call. It's a great home environment for the home team. It doesn't make any of those team cheaters it means there fans are doing what good fans should be and being loud and intimidating to the visiting team.

I think you are right on target. You admit that officials often favor the home team which, in reality, we all know is true- especially in venues like Ashland, Fort Thomas, etc. Most would never make that admission but we all know it is fact. Good for you. You are a credit to the Ashland fan base.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:And Badcat not much unlike yourself and some other Highland fans like to ruffle feathers sometimes. But I haven't really seen him make excuses. If we get beat he usually says we just got beat. He just enjoys the jawing and the back and forth with you Nky Guys and the citizens of Johnson County

BADCAT74 is a good man. We all like to jab back and forth every now and then. And, since our playing days are over what good would football be if we couldn't spar a little on behalf of our "home team"?
Geez Harry... don't go soft on me now I was just startin to enjoy alittle back an forth, since all the JCC posters have left the building. Kinda boring on here lately, some of the old Russell guys I haven't heard much from this year either.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:BADCAT74 is a good man. We all like to jab back and forth every now and then. And, since our playing days are over what good would football be if we couldn't spar a little on behalf of our "home team"?

Of course but his home team is my home team so I gotta have his back.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Geez Harry... don't go soft on me now I was just startin to enjoy alittle back an forth, since all the JCC posters have left the building. Kinda boring on here lately, some of the old Russell guys I haven't heard much from this year either.

I'm here Huckleberry.
FBALL Wrote:I'm here Huckleberry.

Wasn't talking bout you ole buddy. I'm not even talking about the last game just noticed even before season seemed like not much chatter from Ashland either. Just a few here an there.
In Kentucky the officials are assigned to call the games. In Ohio, the home team is responsible for arranging for game officials. Ironton obviously has a select few they like to choose from.
wildbluecatfan Wrote:In Kentucky the officials are assigned to call the games. In Ohio, the home team is responsible for arranging for game officials. Ironton obviously has a select few they like to choose from.

Kentucky's process isn't as innocent as you might want to believe. Coaches can "blackball" certain officials and usually do so. Also, there is usually a pattern as to who is assigned where and the assigning secretary is tuned in to particular likes and dislikes as well as having his own likes and dislikes among coaches and schools. The charade is, I believe, even worse in basketball.

They can all deny it all they want but the process probably ends up about the same as in Ohio. When one of our locals crosses the river and plays in Ohio, we know that that is just how it works. No excuses are justified and none are given.
Over/Under for Game re: penalties for Ashland = 14

Just for fun. I believe the over/under number for Ashland penalties at Ironton is 14. Are you going over or under that folks?
dflpackage Wrote:Over/Under for Game re: penalties for Ashland = 14

Just for fun. I believe the over/under number for Ashland penalties at Ironton is 14. Are you going over or under that folks?

Under. It won't be the number of penalties but at what time in the game they are called always seems to happen after a Ashland fumble recovery or big play.
Also guys go to southeasternohioppreps.com if u wanna mess with some tiggers
Should be a good game. I do think Ashland can win, but playing at Ironton is always a tough task. I am going to say Ashland 28 Ironton 21.
Pages: 1 2