Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who has the most hostile atmosphere to play a road game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Back in the day Evarts was probably the most hostile atmosphere I ever played in. Just about all the way from Harlan to Evarts our bus would get rocked and at times windows were busted out. Once you got there and stepped out onto the field for warm ups the buckeyes would start raining down on the team. Needless to say there was a big buckeye tree on the hill behind home team bleachers. There also seemed to be no shortage of half drunk fans lined up on the fence shouting things at the players. It always seemed like a fight could break out at any moment and lots of times they probably did. It was kind of intimidating to a high school football player but now that I think about it I wouldn't trade playing there for nothing. I'm sure there were other intimidating places to play. Let's hear about them.
Perry used to be - not so much anymore. Typically the old people section is more intense than the student section anymore lol

and I'll say this...
Went to Clay County for the games last week. Don't think I heard a Tiger fan clap lol
OLD VIPPERMAN--BELFRY After crossing both the old mountains. Man Those was the days!!!
Backwoods Wrote:Back in the day Evarts was probably the most hostile atmosphere I ever played in. Just about all the way from Harlan to Evarts our bus would get rocked and at times windows were busted out. Once you got there and stepped out onto the field for warm ups the buckeyes would start raining down on the team. Needless to say there was a big buckeye tree on the hill behind home team bleachers. There also seemed to be no shortage of half drunk fans lined up on the fence shouting things at the players. It always seemed like a fight could break out at any moment and lots of times they probably did. It was kind of intimidating to a high school football player but now that I think about it I wouldn't trade playing there for nothing. I'm sure there were other intimidating places to play. Let's hear about them.

I never played at Evarts, but always heard the stories from family members that had.

I can only imagine a bigger city team having to travel to Evarts back in the day.
Theres a lot of athletic history in Harlan County. Since the consolidation, the older generations should have some pretty cool stories to tell the younger folks from here on out.
Got to be Wolfe Co basketball. Their fans literally run onto the court and fight the players, in JV games no less.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I never played at Evarts, but always heard the stories from family members that had.

I can only imagine a bigger city team having to travel to Evarts back in the day.
Theres a lot of athletic history in Harlan County. Since the consolidation, the older generations should have some pretty cool stories to tell the younger folks from here on out.

I went to Evarts to play back in the day and it was a crazy environment to say the least. Only time I've ever gone into the locker room at halftime up 34 points and actually been nervous about the rest of the game. Evarts was an intimidating, but awesome environment. Very old school feel.
I remember playing @ Evarts and we would get egged on the bus ride home.
I think all of you are exaggerating a bit. I grew up 6 houses from the field. I went to every home game. I only heard of 1 rocking. That doesn't mean they didn't happen, but I only heard of one the whole time I lived there or the 4 years I played there. That was Harlan. I do remember playing Corbin and it was after the 77 flood. 1981 or1982. They got off the bus an began throwing rocks off the field. One player said " look at all of these rocks" the other said" the hell with these rocks, look at the brick wall in the end zone" lol. They beat the crap out of us!!!lol.
Great atmosphere for a high school game. Especially the state semi final against bell view. I swear there were 7-8 thousand there.
Daddycat27 Wrote:I think all of you are exaggerating a bit. I grew up 6 houses from the field. I went to every home game. I only heard of 1 rocking. That doesn't mean they didn't happen, but I only heard of one the whole time I lived there or the 4 years I played there. That was Harlan. I do remember playing Corbin and it was after the 77 flood. 1981 or1982. They got off the bus an began throwing rocks off the field. One player said " look at all of these rocks" the other said" the hell with these rocks, look at the brick wall in the end zone" lol. They beat the crap out of us!!!lol.

Nothing like that happened to us at Evarts, just the environment was intimidating enough though. You had to kick field goals into a cemetery on one side of the field!
I grew up in Evarts too, graduated in the 90's, attended games in late 70's with my family until the school closed don't remember it being that bad either DaddyCat. Lots of people would come out to support the Cat's though an no doubt it was LOUD. I don't remember a cemetary either...not to say there wasn't just don't remember one.