Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Saturday's SEC Week 2 Predcitions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here are the predictions for week two. Don’t be afraid to tell us where we’re wrong.

Western Kentucky at #1 Alabama

Jon: Bama will have a field day against the team Nick Saban doesn’t think gets enough credit or respect from the media. This will be nasty and at the same time beautiful. Alabama 48, WKU 10.

Kevin: This is a warm up game for Arkansas next week. Alabama will do its thing and it will be very uninteresting. You know Saban will be all over his team coaching them up – especially the defensive back field – getting ready for the Arkansas pass attack next week. Alabama 51, WKU 7.

LA-Monroe at #8 Arkansas

Jon: Tyler Wilson will light it up again, and Knile Davis will have a better game than last week. I like the Hogs really big this week. Arkansas 51, LA-Monroe 17.

Kevin: Arkansas wins fairly easy, but I don’t think they cover the 30.5 point spread. LA-Monroe is used to tough road games (playing at FSU, TCU and Iowa last year) and they bring back essentially their entire offense who was banged up all last year. This unit can move the ball and I don’t view Arkansas as a dominating defense. While Arkansas looks ahead to Alabama next week, LA-Monroe scores a few times. Arkansas 45, LA-Monroe 24.

Auburn at Mississippi State

Jon: Dan Mullen is 0-5 against Auburn when he’s coached in the SEC, with two losses coming as an offensive coordinator at Florida and the other three coming at MSU. I like MSU, and I think they are a wild card team in the SEC West this season. Miss State 24, Auburn 23.

Kevin: Dan Mullen needs this game badly. I think this game is ugly and will go down to the wire. Remember last year? Honestly, this game is tough to call, but I’m going to go with sneaky Auburn pulling out a close win. Auburn 28, Miss State 27.

#24 Florida at Texas A&M

Jon: I have no clue how this game will even begin to go. I just know Florida has had a week to make some corrections, and TAMU will be breaking in a freshman quarterback in what some are calling the biggest game in Aggie history. Florida wins…very ugly. Florida 26, TAMU 20.

Kevin: Like Jon, I’m going with Florida here for a few reasons. First, they say teams make the most improvements from week 1 to week 2. With Florida naming their starting QB, tweaking a few things on defense, and a sound run game with Mike Gillislee, i think they have enough to beat the Aggies who have yet to play a game in 2012. The postponed week 1 game hurts the Aggies especially with the new coach, new QB, etc. Florida likely starts slow with an active Aggie atmosphere, but settles in during the second half. Florida 21, TAMU 14.

#7 Georgia at Missouri

Jon: This is one of the biggest games in the SEC East this season, and I think everyone in the SEC and the Big 12 will be tuning in to see just how Missouri plays Georgia. Georgia’s defense is very strong, although they will need to improve with a running quarterback this week. This one could go either way, but I like the Bulldogs to get out of Columbia with a win. Georgia 31, Missouri 20.

Kevin: Georgia is a strong team that looked just ok at times against Buffalo. I think they, like Florida, make a few tweaks defensively, and play very well against Mizzou. Georgia’s offense will move the ball at will. As long as Murray doesn’t make poor decisions and avoids turnovers, Georgia wins handily. Georgia 38, Missouri 24.

Kent State at Kentucky

Jon: Joker Phillips is in need of a win in the worst way. But there are too many question marks to make this a guarantee. But there is something to be said about a team with their backs against the wall. Max Smith – I’m counting on your for deliverance. Kentucky 24, Kent State 20.

Kevin: All I’m hoping in this game is that we get another play where the Kent State player returns his own punt the wrong direction. Hopefully, Kentucky will have enough sense to not chase him down and tackle him like the guys last week. If Kentucky doesn’t win this game, Joker’s in trouble. Kentucky 27, Kent State 24.

Washington at #3 LSU

Jon: Washington will present a much bigger challenge this week than North Texas did last week against LSU, but I like the Tigers to send the Huskies home licking their wounds. I think Zach Mettenberger comes alive this week and has a big game, in addition to the pounding running game the Tigers will always have. I think the defense mans up this week against a formidable opponent and quarterback Keith Price. LSU 41, Washington 17

Kevin: Like most of you, this will be the first game of the season where I watch LSU. it’s an interesting matchup with a decent passing game coming with the Washington Huskies into Tiger Stadium. With the LSU secondary losses, I am very interested to see how they play this week. Washington has no answer to the ground game of LSU. LSU pulls ahead huge in the second half and controls the clock. LSU 45, Washington 21.

UTEP at Ole Miss

Jon: UTEP played Oklahoma pretty tough last week, and they will be ready to play, hungry to beat an SEC West team. But I like the Rebels’ combination of Bo Wallace and Donte Moncrief on offense, and I think they both create more big plays this week. In addition, Ole Miss DE CJ Johnson is going to be a great one. Be that team for me, Rebels. Ole Miss 30, UTEP 27

Kevin: I’m hoping Ole Miss can get a good win here and establish a little momentum prior to SEC play. But, I’m going to go with UTEP this week. UTEP 27, Ole Miss 21.

ECU at #9 South Carolina

Jon: It looks like Connor Shaw is going to play this weekend, but I’m not sure how much of a factor he’ll be. ECU can score some points, but they haven’t faced a defense as fast or talented as SC’s. I like Carolina in a lower-scoring game because of Marcus Lattimore and the strength of the defensive line. South Carolina 27, ECU 18

Kevin: I’m with Jon on this one. South Carolina wins an ugly game, and it’s not a blow out. Gamecocks have to use Lattimore more than they want against a non-SEC team a la the Navy game from 2011. South Carolina 24, ECU 17.

Georgia State at Tennessee

Jon: Do I even need to pick this game? This has blowout written all over it. Tyler Bray to Justin Hunter will be said more than Bray to Cordarrelle Patterson. How’s that for a prediction? Vols win big. Tennessee 49, Georgia State 17

Kevin: Vols put up big numbers against Georgia State. That’s all I got. Tennessee 45, Georgia State 10.

Vanderbilt at Northwestern

Jon: This has the makings of being a shootout, but Vanderbilt has to get back to their game of controlling the ground game and time of possession with Zac Stacy. Jordan Rodgers needs to move the pocket and hit his talented receivers Jordan Matthews and Chris Boyd. The offense will need to score some points this game. I think they have a rebound in them. Vanderbilt 38, Northwestern 35

Kevin: I like James Franklin’s ability to get his guys ready for the game. I really like Zac Stacy and think he has a big game. Vanderbilt 27, Northwestern 18.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2012/se...edictions/
Looks pretty good to me, I agree with most of the picks on winners. I think LSU will hold Washington to a lower point total than you predict. Also, I think Georgia and South Carolina win by a larger margin than predicted.
I think Washington is going to play better than most people think. However, LSU still wins big. The others look spot on. Great job guys!