Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: School asks deaf preschooler to change his sign language name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This Crap is getting Extremely Stupid!!!!!!!

Three-and-a-half year old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, signs his name by crossing his forefinger and index finger and moving his hand up and down.
To his family, friends and those who know the Signing Exact English (S.E.E.) language that the Grand Island, Neb., boy uses, that gesture uniquely means "Hunter Spanjer."
But to Hunter's school district, it might mean something else. The district claims that it violates a rule that forbids anything in the school that looks like a weapon, reports KOLN-TV.
And Hunter's parents claim that Grand Island Pubic Schools administrators have asked them to change their son's sign language name.
"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous," Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue told the TV station. "This is not threatening in any way."
Hunter's father Brian Spanjer said, "It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E."
The family told KOLN that lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf may push for Hunter's right to sign his name at the school.
Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson told KOLN, "We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child."
One Grand Island resident said she disagrees with the school.
"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Fredda Bartenbach said in the news report.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/scho...29255.html
This world has already gone to complete shit.
^^Been saying it for a while now...
I thought Hook was making a point; never thought this was a true story until I read it.
Gotta agree with you three (wow), this is 6 feet of BS.
what up gangsta?!!!

too many sensitive softies out there, let the kid be
I would not be opposed to the school not allowing verbal names to be used. If a parent named their child Shithead, Bastard, Dickface, it certainly is appropriate that the school not be tolerant to that.

If this school has made it a practice to prevent such things, which this story does not speak to, then I could certainly understand their intent. I'm confident that the officials are astute enough to know that any approach they take that will be affecting a handicapped child will get them blown out of the water, and, they are.

But then again, I hear comments blasting this country for being too tolerant, and now we have a story of a school taking a stand, and now tolerance is being demanded.....

I get it, it's an actual sign and is a legitimate language, but it might be best that this child not turn into a young adult, make a trip to Compton, and then introduce himself to new friends....
The way I understood the story (admit that I "scanned" more than read it), the objection was that his hand signal was reminiscent of having a hand gun in his hand.

For me, the question is not "tolerance" but "perception" and ultimately "interpretation".

I've always been a little sensitive when it comes to censorship and that may be the reason that I think this is total BS. I resent the fact that a 3 1/2 year old must qualify the signal he has used for his name (for his entire life) to a school board. Especially in this day and time, I would think the school board would have larger and more pertinent issues with which they should be dealing.
It is just another instance where common sense escapes people.
[YOUTUBE="He's a cute kid"]buSDPn_znHQ[/YOUTUBE]
By the way this is absurd. Has common sense really disappeared in society and our schools?
Stardust Wrote:I would not be opposed to the school not allowing verbal names to be used. If a parent named their child Shithead, Bastard, Dickface, it certainly is appropriate that the school not be tolerant to that.

If this school has made it a practice to prevent such things, which this story does not speak to, then I could certainly understand their intent. I'm confident that the officials are astute enough to know that any approach they take that will be affecting a handicapped child will get them blown out of the water, and, they are.

But then again, I hear comments blasting this country for being too tolerant, and now we have a story of a school taking a stand, and now tolerance is being demanded.....

I get it, it's an actual sign and is a legitimate language, but it might be best that this child not turn into a young adult, make a trip to Compton, and then introduce himself to new friends....

OK...what if the kids name was Gunner? Not allow him be recognized by his legal name or be expelled?

It's not a question of tolerance. Like someone said earlier. It's about common sense.

Thank God Dick Trickle never went to that school....lol.
this is good there is no place for guns in school and they should be banned altogether they do nothing but get people hurt and killed and we need world peace so to have world peace we need to do away with anything that relates to guns
WideMiddle03 Wrote:this is good there is no place for guns in school and they should be banned altogether they do nothing but get people hurt and killed and we need world peace so to have world peace we need to do away with anything that relates to guns

I didn't realize that fingers could shoot bullets...
Schools are getting more and more strict on the stupid things rather than the serious things. This is absolutely ridiculous!
judgementday Wrote:I didn't realize that fingers could shoot bullets...

True.

I think the next of our wide followers is a huge liberal.

Lets remember guns dont kill people, people kill people.
yes people kill people but if people didn't have access to guns then they couldn't kill people. and people can't shoot bullets with their fingers but. It can give them the image and impression of a gun and then kids will wonder what the gun is and then they will be able to learn how to use them. guns are an absolute no-no and obama will take care of them in his next term
WideMiddle03 Wrote:yes people kill people but if people didn't have access to guns then they couldn't kill people. and people can't shoot bullets with their fingers but. It can give them the image and impression of a gun and then kids will wonder what the gun is and then they will be able to learn how to use them. guns are an absolute no-no and obama will take care of them in his next term

Your statement would make sense if the kid actually brought a gun to school or even drew a picture of a gun........he is a deaf child whose gesture he was doing is his name...No one would have even thought it resembled a gun had some idiot not made the similarities which to be honest, there isn't any IMO...

How about educate the kids on what sign language is and that he isn't implying anything about a gun...
WideMiddle03 Wrote:yes people kill people but if people didn't have access to guns then they couldn't kill people. and people can't shoot bullets with their fingers but. It can give them the image and impression of a gun and then kids will wonder what the gun is and then they will be able to learn how to use them. guns are an absolute no-no and obama will take care of them in his next term

Duh...Duh...Duh....Yep I'm a goober trying to start shit like the rst of my wide buddies. But, I'm to stupid to do so!!! LOL!!!! Keep trying Goober...LOL!
OffTheHook Wrote:Duh...Duh...Duh....Yep I'm a goober trying to start shit like the rst of my wide buddies. But, I'm to stupid to do so!!! LOL!!!! Keep trying Goober...LOL!

Hey now, don't link me with this one bud!! He lost my backing with the Cov Cath post he made in the football threads. I have connections to "I Am the Genius," I know "Widezero," but this one, like the original Wideleft, I have no connection to.
Stardust Wrote:I would not be opposed to the school not allowing verbal names to be used. If a parent named their child Shithead, Bastard, Dickface, it certainly is appropriate that the school not be tolerant to that.

He's a kid Dusty, and it's the way he says his name. His name isn't shithead, bastard or dickhead.

Yes, because if we didnt have guns, people wouldnt stab someone or beat them to death with a 2x4. Your are just one of many clueless Americans who think we can live in peace with a green world and a Kardashian as President.

Shit for you is about to go real bad come november Confusednicker:

Nah, they would just pick up a rock and hit em in the back of the head.:zzz:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yes, because if we didnt have guns, people wouldnt stab someone or beat them to death with a 2x4. Your are just one of many clueless Americans who think we can live in peace with a green world and a Kardashian as President.

Shit for you is about to go real bad come november Confusednicker:

really runitupthegut? really? media polls all show obama in the lead yeah now what
^
Really.

You must be looking at your liberal loving polls. Most polls now have Romeny with the lead.

Oh and NOW WHAT? Huh? Huh? Now What. Im bad cause i can say now what???????
no they don't not the main ones CBS NBC ABC those are the main media polls the other polls aren't as popular for some reason hmmmmmmmmm wonder why now what???
^
Im sorry, ive read your post 7 times and still cant decipher (that means figure out) it.
uummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm helllllllllllllllllo runitupthegut? i mean that the ABC NBC CBS polls are the main ones and the other polls aren't as popular. they must not be as popular because there not as accurate
^
:hilarious:
i'm not crying
WideMiddle03 Wrote:i'm not crying

I can't figure out if you're stupid or a good troll.
Pages: 1 2