Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 60 - Scott Co. 37
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Birds DESTROY the 6A runner-ups! Not even close. Anyone who thinks HHS has taken a step back is sadly mistaken!
Yousers nice going Birds
Listened to game on internet. Score a little misleading since a couple of touchdowns after the second string defense was in the second string QB was in for most of the second half for HHS. Good playing time for these kids. Still, a lot of the Scott County scores appeared to be on missed defensive plays for Highlands. Things will improve.
Boyle's offense much better than Scott Co. That team is overrated. Reminded me of last season's Western game. Undisciplined.
Unable to make game last night (who puts a cross country race on a Friday night?)but everyone I talked to said HHS dominated the first half with the one TD coming on trick play in which HHS allowed themselves to get tricked. Was told many subs started in the second half and second string QB played whole half(good game experience for the up and coming players!).
This season reminds me a lot like last year; Got smashed in scrimmage, looked OK against Boyle in first game and by third game HHS starts to play much better. I look for this team to continue to get better as coaches find the right combinations and think it will be a team you do not want to see come playoff time.
Good ole fashioned seal clubbing.

I can't help but think Mueller played this game to test the waters to see if he might as well go ahead and play up in Class at the 6A level come next re-alignment.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Boyle's offense much better than Scott Co. That team is overrated. Reminded me of last season's Western game. Undisciplined.

NKY 6A always does well in the State tournament. Many times, their end of the season comes to either Trinity or X. So, if NKY 6A is that strong in the state tournament, yet gets beaten routinely against 1A through 4A schools in NKY, it tells me that 6A across the state is WEAK football.

Now, before anyone wants to throw me under the bus for dissing on 6A, look at the facts. I also speak from the perspective of 6A schools because I am a supporter of 6A school, which is also my Alma-Mater.

Let's just face it, 6A is not the best division of football in the state!!!! More athletes does not equate into better!
SC was a real let down. I was expecting better. Birds are the real deal.
Thought it would be closer than this. Figured SC was not ready for the Bluebirds yet.
Closer than I expected. Is Highlands actually mortal this year?
^ Well, let's just call this an uneducated post!:zzz:
2dog Wrote:SC was a real let down. I was expecting better. Birds are the real deal.

2dog, I told you a couple of months ago you had nothing to worry about:biggrin:
There was a time when junior running back Zach Harris and senior quarterback Donovan McCoy were underclassmen pining for a Bluebirds blowout so they might get the chance to step onto the field and bask in the welcoming glare of the Friday night lights even for a moment.

Last night, it was their turn to give a new generation of Highlands underclassmen a peek at those lights.

Harris and McCoy combined to rush for 224 yards and six touchdowns in the first half on Friday, numbers that left them relaxing on the sidelines for the entirety of the final two quarters as Highlands’ second-string finished off the Bluebirds’ 60-37 home win over Scott County.

“Getting a lot of guys into the game is just so helpful for everybody,” Highlands coach Dale Mueller said. “For the (starters), it gives them some rest. For the (subs), it gives them some good playing time with the game on the line. It’s just such a positive thing for all of us.”

The Bluebirds scored on all but one of their first half possessions to lead 47-14 at the break. The majority of the offense came on the ground as Highlands amassed 278 rushing yards in the opening two quarters.

“Our offensive line is just awesome,” Harris said. “They literally blow people off the line three yards. It makes it so easy for me to run the ball wherever I want it.”

Highlands’ early dominance was a stark contrast to last week, when the Bluebirds trailed Boyle County by nine points at the half before rallying with 37 unanswered points.

“It was really big (for us to get off to a good start),” Mueller said. “We felt like we could pin (Scott County) down and get some good field position and the defense came through.”

The Bluebirds (2-0), ranked first in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll, have now won 22 straight games dating back to October of 2010. As with the majority of those wins, Friday’s victory came over a quality opponent.

The Cardinals (1-1) went 14-1 last season and advanced to the Class 6A state title game. However, Scott County is breaking in a new quarterback in sophomore Clay McKee. On Friday, things either went very right or very, very wrong for the Cardinals’ work-in-progress offense.

Scott County turned the ball over three times in the opening half – all of which Highlands converted into touchdowns. But the Cardinals also reached the end zone in spectacular fashion with an 80-yard play-action screen pass from McKee to Kevo Edwards and a 98-yard kickoff return by junior Scott Daniel.

“They’re a dangerous team,” said Mueller. “They’ve got a lot of good, explosive football players.”

Scott County coach Jim McKee’s assessment of the Cardinals’ performance was a bit more blunt.

“A – they outcoached us. B – they outplayed us on offense. C – they outplayed us on defense. D – outplayed us in the kicking game. And E, they were certainly in much better condition than us.”

Scott County 7 7 7 16 -- 37
Highlands 14 33 6 7 -- 60

H – Harris 14 run (Brockett kick)
H – McCoy 1 run (Brockett kick)
S – Edwards 80 pass from McKee (Ward kick)
H – Hayes 21 run (Brockett kick)
H – McCoy 1 run (kick failed)
H – Turner 33 pass from McCoy (Brockett kick)
H – Harris 7 run (Brockett kick)
S – Daniel 98 kickoff return (Ward kick)
H – Harris 5 run (kick wide)
S – Daniel 36 pass from McKee (Ward kick)
H – Hayes 35 run (kick failed)
S – Ward 28 field goal
H – Seidl 43 run (Brockett kick)
S – Dumphord 4 run (Ward kick)
S- Nelson 14 run (kick failed)

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...308240120/
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Good ole fashioned seal clubbing.

I can't help but think Mueller played this game to test the waters to see if he might as well go ahead and play up in Class at the 6A level come next re-alignment.

"Seal clubbing". Love it. For those that don't get the reference, look up
harp seals and see how they take their pelts.
I thought this would be a difficult matchup for us. Guess not. On the way to 6 in a row!
WideRight05 Wrote:I thought this would be a difficult matchup for us. Guess not. On the way to 6 in a row!

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

Eight more regular season games to go.

Then the playoffs with the semi-finals, if they get there, are on the road

Stranger things have happened.
Wise one Wrote:Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

Eight more regular season games to go.

Then the playoffs with the semi-finals, if they get there, are on the road

Stranger things have happened.

I believe our region host the semis highlands played at Lex Cath last Season.
i was really surprised by this score
The Birds look to be in top form again this year.