Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: High School Fishing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had heard that the KHSAA has Made fishing a high school sport in Ky, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a list of schools that will be participating in the 2012-2013 seasons.
Don't know.
I know that Pikeville tried last year and the year before that, but never had any luck in getting a teacher to sponsor/coach them! It was a big mess and they said no one but a teacher could. Now I don't know of anyone/schools in the surrounding areas looking to have a fishing team. I personally think it would be great to give the kids these options. Some of them don't like or don't feel like they are good enough to play basketball, baseball, football, etc. Some kids just love the great outdoors. The only down fall to this kind of sport, is the expenses: a boat, fishing poles, bait & tackle, gas for the boat, gas for the vehicle pulling the boat, etc. This stuff can add up in a hurry, and most schools probably can not afford these expenses which will make it really difficult to get this started.
I hope that in the near future every school has this chance to start this!
i know, right? Wrote:I know that Pikeville tried last year and the year before that, but never had any luck in getting a teacher to sponsor/coach them! It was a big mess and they said no one but a teacher could. Now I don't know of anyone/schools in the surrounding areas looking to have a fishing team. I personally think it would be great to give the kids these options. Some of them don't like or don't feel like they are good enough to play basketball, baseball, football, etc. Some kids just love the great outdoors. The only down fall to this kind of sport, is the expenses: a boat, fishing poles, bait & tackle, gas for the boat, gas for the vehicle pulling the boat, etc. This stuff can add up in a hurry, and most schools probably can not afford these expenses which will make it really difficult to get this started.
I hope that in the near future every school has this chance to start this!
Well like all other sports starting up you have to do some fundraising. You know have a fish fry, set up a fishing derby, maybe a fish pond, sell some team cane poles or bobbers in school colors, or even start a worm farm and sell nightcrawlers