Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Question to the Coal Folks out there
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm limited on my coal knowledge
If we have a push like the current administration has on "green" energy is there more than coal can do?
What would Billions of dollars spent on coal research do for new energy usage? or is there something out there that needs to be explored? We have so much coal and it provides a Hugh number of quality paying jobs- how else can we use our vast resources of coal?
MustangSally Wrote:I'm limited on my coal knowledge
If we have a push like the current administration has on "green" energy is there more than coal can do?
What would Billions of dollars spent on coal research do for new energy usage? or is there something out there that needs to be explored? We have so much coal and it provides a Hugh number of quality paying jobs- how else can we use our vast resources of coal?

Mustang, here's the straight of it, and I realize you were asking a legitimate question. We don't have the technology to use green energy sources for anything other than the most novel of uses. No machines, including cars, can use green energy. Even such cars as the Chevy Volt still rely on coal fired or natural gas fired electrical generating stations to provide the power they need to recharge their limited batteries for the short ventures they are now capable of traversing. Industry can't use green energy, neither can the residential industry. It's just not practical to think everybody will have a wind turbine out in yard. Utility companies can't use it either. You gotta have water, right?

Ever envision a fleet of military vehicles buzzing down some forelorn landscape using solar power or battery power? How about a battalian of solar tanks? Electric cars have been around for over a hundred years and literally hundreds of manufacturers have attempted to produce them.

As it stands for the foreseeable future, green energy is a joke when one tries to apply it to the needs of the United States, the greatest and most powerful nation of all time. Now, if you're Columbus and you've got the rest of your life to give it a try, make that cross Atlantic trip on a sail boat. We need the USS Ronald Reagan and the SSK-1 Barracuda.

What kind of green energy source would replace diesel fuel in a D-9 catapillar dozer? Pure and simple, there just aint none and there won't be none for forever down the road.
You wont have to worry about coal.
Its started slightly picking back up.
Just as many predicted, natural gas has started steadily going up, actually costing more than coal to use and there starting to figure out this "western coal" isnt worth a crap.

However, if Obama wins again in November, it will all be for nothing and will be the end of coal. I personally know one company, who owns three or four different coal companies in Harlan County alone that have already let its workers and everyone else know, that if Obama is reelevted they are going to choose to close the doors for good, no matter what.