Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UFC 151 Cancelled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dana White announced today that UFC 151 was cancelled due to Dan Henderson hurting his knee.

The card was highlighted with the Light Heavyweight championship between Jon Jones and Dan Henderson.

Chael Sonnen indicated that he would step in but Jon Jones declined.

Not sure why Dana would cancel the whole card. Not very fair to the fans and other fighters.
judgementday Wrote:Dana White announced today that UFC 151 was cancelled due to Dan Henderson hurting his knee.

The card was highlighted with the Light Heavyweight championship between Jon Jones and Dan Henderson.

Chael Sonnen indicated that he would step in but Jon Jones declined.

Not sure why Dana would cancel the whole card. Not very fair to the fans and other fighters.

I just lost a ton of respect for Jones.
And Dana White was PI$$#@!
Westside Wrote:I just lost a ton of respect for Jones.

What a wuss...
Rashad Evans has been talking about the type of person Jones really is since they started their fued...now it seems everytime Jones is put in the spotlight he shows the Rashad was speaking the truth. This is the same guy that a week ago said he didn't want to fight Machida because it was his worst PPV draw as champ.
NothingTrivial Wrote:Rashad Evans has been talking about the type of person Jones really is since they started their fued...now it seems everytime Jones is put in the spotlight he shows the Rashad was speaking the truth. This is the same guy that a week ago said he didn't want to fight Machida because it was his worst PPV draw as champ.

Jones won't fight because of fear and that's the bottom line. Sonnen was going to take the fight on 8 days notice.
Exactly...the more he is put in the spotlight, the more his real personality comes to light. Bisping fought sonnen on 8 days notice, how about Brennaman-Story who fought on 24 hours notice. I saw on twitter that Sonnen offered his purse to Jones...but now that more details are coming out, its looking like that was a legit offer that Sonnen offered to put in writing when talking to Dana White.
My first thought goes to...the next time Jones fights in Vegas....if one of the judges not getting a payday because of this will teeter toward an opponent when scoring if a fight where to go to a close decision?
NothingTrivial Wrote:Exactly...the more he is put in the spotlight, the more his real personality comes to light. Bisping fought sonnen on 8 days notice, how about Brennaman-Story who fought on 24 hours notice. I saw on twitter that Sonnen offered his purse to Jones...but now that more details are coming out, its looking like that was a legit offer that Sonnen offered to put in writing when talking to Dana White.

I will say that I don't think Sonnen deserves a title shot at that weight class this quick.
If there was another option I dont think he did. Given the circumstance, that he was the only to accept, I think he did. He wasn't the first option, but he was the only one who said he would take the fight. Machida turned it down, Rua turned it down. I think he absolutely deserved it in this situation, and only in this situation.
First and foremost, your job as a fighter is to fight.....you would think as dominating Jon Jones has been he would take the fight with anyone. He confuses me with his antics and the decisions that he makes. I am a fan of his but it is hard sometimes to like him.

I still think Dana could have salvaged this card instead of cancelling the whole night.
Now it looks like Machida is out and Belfort is in???

How about Weidman or Bisping?
Yeah, this whole deal is a mess...

You see Bones, this is why people don't like you...
judgementday Wrote:Now it looks like Machida is out and Belfort is in???

How about Weidman or Bisping?

Weidman actually wanted to take the fight...but I wouldn't waste an undefeated prospect at 185 on Jones. Bisping is already fighting Stann that night, in what I think could play out as a #1 contender fight if either of them win convincingly.
^I just don't see how Belfort jumps some of these other fighters to get a title shot. And yes as JRod said, this is a mess.
I think Sonnen should get it before Belfort
Which other fighters? There is only one fighter in the top 10 that would deserve it that didn't turn it down and that is Gustafsson. Machida turned it down, Rua turned it down, Evans hasn't had a fight since Jones...Lawal, Jimmo, Franklin, Lil Nog and Phil Davis round out the top 10-11. I think its a smart business decision to not throw Gustafsson in there, as you can give him the win over Rua and possible one more big fight and really hype him as a legit contender. Given the choice of Sonnen-Belfort, I would take belfort as he is kind of in limbo being behind at least weidman/belcher and the winner of stann-bisping at 185 and just won a fight against a 211 lb Anthony Johnson who moved to 205. Sonnen is a big strong guy who relentlessly wrestle's guys...Jones is a bigger, stronger guy with strong wrestling and throws as well as a unique bjj game. Sonnen stands no chance at all, but with a win over Griffin and possibly one other wrestling inept 205'er will be promoted as a legit contender. If almost anyone besides Belfort got this shot, the promotion would have been shooting itself in the foot for matchup's down the road...especially in the ever thinning 205 division.
Dont let these fighters that scream "i love fighting" fool you.
Its all about the money, and quite frankly i dont blame jones.

However, he should have took the fight with Sonnen.
If he doesnt think he could beat a guy on a weeks preperation, even if the money would drop a bit, then it might be different, but i think we'll all agree he would have killed Sonnen.

Dana has these guys under contract, and should make them fight whomever he wants.
Jones is a p***y in my book at this point. The money wouldn't have dropped a bit...can you imagine the kind of money he could have forced out of the UFC to take the fight with Sonnen? Technically Dana cant make them fight anyone...they are under an exclusive agreement that the will only perform for the ufc for a certain number or fights...who those fights are against are solely up to the fighter and his management. All in all, White is a moron...Jones is a p***y....Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen, Chris Weidman, and even Anderson Silva come out of this looking great.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Dont let these fighters that scream "i love fighting" fool you.
Its all about the money, and quite frankly i dont blame jones.

However, he should have took the fight with Sonnen.
If he doesnt think he could beat a guy on a weeks preperation, even if the money would drop a bit, then it might be different, but i think we'll all agree he would have killed Sonnen.

Dana has these guys under contract, and should make them fight whomever he wants.

On 8 days notice I think Sonnen could push Jones.

Sonnen isn't going to change his fighting style anyway...
he's going to try to pound on Jones.

and if Sonnen was going to offer Jones his purse - then Jones would have lost no money
zaga_fan Wrote:On 8 days notice I think Sonnen could push Jones.

and if Sonnen was going to offer Jones his purse - then Jones would have lost no money

I dont think Sonnen stood a chance...Jones is a bigger, stronger version of Anderson Silva with better wrestling. There were points where Silva defended take downs well only to have Sonnen use a strength advantage to drag him down. What happens when Sonnen fights the same guy with a long reach, and wrestling that isn't on par with a 6 year old...I think he gets smashed if he fights Jones on 8 days notice, 8 hours notice or 8 months notice.
Point is...if you are a champion, you should not be turning down fights if you aren't injured.
I'll take it a step farther....If your career choice is to be a fighter, then f***ing fight, plain and simple. A lot of people like Sonnen, and even more hate his gimmick he has carved out for himself....but there is one thing you cant deny about him, when it actually comes right down to it he will fight anyone and he has showed this time and again. Back when Phil Davis had to pull out of his fight with Rashad the first time, Sonnen was the first to call and volunteer for the fight. He has done this numerous times.
Are you guys crazy or what?????? Let's see Chael "The Punk" Sonnen can run his mouth and get what he wants?? Come on guys I'm not a Jones fan but I also read reports that Anderson Silva said he would step up and fight in LHW. (not against Jones) Sonnen needs to go the WWE and Dana trying to blame Jones, guys you can't be serious and blame the event on Jones.

No doubt Jones would destroy Sonnen but why give him what he wants? He can't even beat Silva (not a wrestler) at middleweight. Jones would hurt Sonnen. The point is this if Sonnen did get the fight, you would have everyone in the UFC using the same tactics to get what they want. Dana White will do whatever Sonnen says, wonder why?????
zaga_fan Wrote:On 8 days notice I think Sonnen could push Jones.

The only way Sonnen will PUSH Jones is during the weigh in. :notworthy
b1gblu3sports Wrote:Dana White will do whatever Sonnen says, wonder why?????

Because Sonnen better than most guys in the UFC understands that the more you sale a fight, the more money you make...and White knows he will sell more PPV's than most other fighters on the roster when put in a headlining spot. He is one of the most marketable guys in the UFC and there is proof of this...in the last year alone show me 1 person on the UFC roster who has been on more news shows, espn segments, big time tv interviews than Chael Sonnen. The fact is, you wont find one.
I am not a Sonnen fan but he will fight anybody, anytime, and to me all fighters should have that mentality.
If Jones would have killed Sonnen on 8 days notice...
why did he dodge the fight?

Obviously he and his management weren't a fan of those odds.

I think Jones wins the fight - but I don't think it was a smash