Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset vs Southwestern (Ray Correll Bowl) 8/24
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who wins and why?
Should be a good game. Jumpers 34-14
Strikeout King Wrote:Should be a good game. Jumpers 34-25

Warriors wont score 25 pts on the Jumpers. Will probably be a close game because of the emotional aspect, but it shouldn't be.
JumperPride1 Wrote:Warriors wont score 25 pts on the Jumpers. Will probably be a close game because of the emotional aspect, but it shouldn't be.

Just an opinion. No one though that Southwestern would do as good as they did last year with everything that went on and according to KHSAA they didn't lose no one from last year, not sure if that's exactly accurate but that's what it shows
Strikeout King Wrote:Just an opinion. No one though that Southwestern would do as good as they did last year with everything that went on and according to KHSAA they didn't lose no one from last year, not sure if that's exactly accurate but that's what it shows

That's not accurate at all. They lost the majority of their starters on both sides of the ball. Also about 4-5 players that were expected to start this season did not come out for the team.
Strikeout King Wrote:Just an opinion. No one though that Southwestern would do as good as they did last year with everything that went on and according to KHSAA they didn't lose no one from last year, not sure if that's exactly accurate but that's what it shows

Yeah, if you're basing it off the KHSAA roster I'm sure they haven't updated it. Warriors are starting some very talented freshman... but they're still freshman. Somerset may not roll as the offense works out its problems, but the warriors will not put up over 14 points (if that). Jumpers held one of the states leading rushers to 31 yards in Kentayvus Hopkins in the BC scrimmage. Jumpers held a run heavy East Jess team to -1 last night, along with 54 in the air. Defensively the Jumpers are far too much in this one I believe, but it is always an emotional ball game. I would far rather play SW than PC. The SW fans have some class.
This will be a low scoring game. Somerset has been trying to work out the offensive problems since the beginning of last season, and it may very well be their Achilles heel again this season, but the defense is always top notch. SW lost a ton of players and has a very young team. In the end, Somerset's D will be too much......

Jumpers 20 - Warriors 6
Somerset by 2 Tds. I'd like to see Somerset mix it up on Offense...they have the talent. Against east jess, williams didn't touch the ball, cheuvront had 1 catch, Hinton had what one carry? How many times can you go up the middle for 1 yard. The only thing they tried that worked was Lange running the ball. If Somerset had better offensive decision makers they could be really great.
Norm Peterson Wrote:That's not accurate at all. They lost the majority of their starters on both sides of the ball. Also about 4-5 players that were expected to start this season did not come out for the team.

JumperPride1 Wrote:Yeah, if you're basing it off the KHSAA roster I'm sure they haven't updated it. Warriors are starting some very talented freshman... but they're still freshman. Somerset may not roll as the offense works out its problems, but the warriors will not put up over 14 points (if that). Jumpers held one of the states leading rushers to 31 yards in Kentayvus Hopkins in the BC scrimmage. Jumpers held a run heavy East Jess team to -1 last night, along with 54 in the air. Defensively the Jumpers are far too much in this one I believe, but it is always an emotional ball game. I would far rather play SW than PC. The SW fans have some class.

Does KHSAA have a system were it carries over the players from last year and upgrades them to there current class or does the coach have to do it? Somerset also had several players missing from the roster on KHSAA

I believe KHSAA updates the roster cause I got to looking and every team in the other seasons such as baseball, softball, basketball and so on had rosters and tryouts haven't even started for those sports. Their's a lot of schools that don't have their full roster listed, they have from SO-SR
I hope Southwestern beats Somerset by 50. Well nah, I just hope they beat Somerset. Just hope it dont rain though because Somerset will make up some kind of excuse. GO WARRIORS.
Dumpster Diving Wrote:Somerset by 2 Tds. I'd like to see Somerset mix it up on Offense...they have the talent. Against east jess, williams didn't touch the ball, cheuvront had 1 catch, Hinton had what one carry? How many times can you go up the middle for 1 yard. The only thing they tried that worked was Lange running the ball. If Somerset had better offensive decision makers they could be really great.

We're one game into the season. Are you really going to criticize they play calling already? The people making excuses decisions on offense are the same ones that were making the decisions when the offense averaged 40+ points a game 2 years ago. Same staff--the difference is the personnel. I wouldn't be too quick to criticize a coaching staff that is 37-7 since taking over.

Have you ever stopped to think that with East Jessamine mounting no threat offensively that the play calling was kept vanilla on purpose?
Unfortunely based off what I saw tonight. Shs by as many as they want. Sw isn't a good Fball team. The defense is like hot butter.
Norm Peterson Wrote:We're one game into the season. Are you really going to criticize they play calling already? The people making excuses decisions on offense are the same ones that were making the decisions when the offense averaged 40+ points a game 2 years ago. Same staff--the difference is the personnel. I wouldn't be too quick to criticize a coaching staff that is 37-7 since taking over.

Have you ever stopped to think that with East Jessamine mounting no threat offensively that the play calling was kept vanilla on purpose?

You're right, I didn't mean that to come off as critical as it did. I love Coach Lucas and our staff, they are excellent defensive minds and have done an excellent job. I think some of my frustration carries over from the offensive issues last season and I'm a little worried about the qb situation this season. What did concern me is that we were only up by one td and they were on our 30 with ab 1 quarter to go. I'm all for not giving secret weapons away yet, but I thought that was much closer at that point than anyone intended.

That said, I love this team and can't wait to support them all season. And I think SW is gonna get a reality check on Friday!
Somerset has the talent, but I don't see how they aren't putting up more points???
From what I heard from last night the Warriors pretty much only ran power and belly read. That won't get it done against the Briar Jumpers. Coach Stephens has never beaten Somerset and he won't this year either. The Somerset offense gets well against a porous Warrior defense. Somerset 34-0.
This could be the game where the Somerset Off. comes to life. This bunch is real close to getting it all together. Line play is getting better. QB needs to get rid of ball a little quicker. He and his receivers know where they are going, turn the ball loose and trust your receivers to go get it. They Will!! This will be a very good team before the year is over. Def. has been very good to this point and I don't see any reason for that to Change. Somerset by 3 TD's.
Southwestern takes on Somerset in the late game of the Ray Correll Bowl at Somerset. Both teams come in at 1-0. Somerset beat East Jessamine 20-6 in their opener and Southwestern topped Letcher County Central in theirs. Who wins this crosstown matchup and why?
Can a moderator merge this with the other thread? I was messing around with the thread header feature and didn't mean to hit send.
Could we get a poll for this one?
Southwesterm amd Somerset should be a good one Somerset 28 Southwestern 26
ballboy Wrote:Southwesterm amd Somerset should be a good one Somerset 28 Southwestern 26

Don't think Southwestern can score 26 on Somerset Def.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Could we get a poll for this one?

Norm Peterson Wrote:Can a moderator merge this with the other thread? I was messing around with the thread header feature and didn't mean to hit send.

Done!
Strikeout King Wrote:Done!

Thanks SK.
^ Not a problem
Somerset wins 24-7. I listened to the SW/LCC game on my way to the SW/PC soccer game Saturday (I know, don't ask LOL). When I got there, I saw some of the studs from the Southern Middle state championship team two years ago (who are now sophomores) playing and watching a soccer game. Blew my mind. SW just doesn't have the personnel out to be as successful as they could have been. Good luck to both teams.
With the youth and inexperience that Southwestern has this year, Somerset will win this one easily. Not, sure how the offense will do as it seems that they're still working out some quirks but, Southwestern will be hard pressed to score on the Jumper defense.

Somerset - 28

Southwestern - 7
Somerset 21

Southwestern 20
I'll take the Jumpers by 20 in this one.:disappoint:
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:With the youth and inexperience that Southwestern has this year, Somerset will win this one easily. Not, sure how the offense will do as it seems that they're still working out some quirks but, Southwestern will be hard pressed to score on the Jumper defense.

Somerset - 28

Southwestern - 7

I think that's a good observation. I'll say Jumper's 21-7.
Somerset wins 28-7
Pages: 1 2