Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bring back the Jobber......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What does everyone else think about this?
Much agreed.
Jobbers can....
- Get somebody over or set them on fire.
- Build up storylines for months at a time without the two principles even stepping in the ring together.
- Keep main event/mid-level talent either on a Face/Heel turn for as long as needed. Cause the jobber is gonna loose no matter if the other person is a Heel or a Face. So they can keep 'kayfabe' with their character.
Jobbers used to fill that need, but it no longer works. A perfect example of the jobber not working in today's wrestling is Rybak. Everytime his match comes on, television ratings ho down. When PPV matches are regularly shown on regular television, the audience will not tolerate matches of no meaning. It used to be an important facet of wrestling, but it no longer fits.
^If done properly with the proper character, it could. WCW used to work well when they would have The Giant face 3-4 people at a time. It made The Giant seem.........well......like a giant.
LWC Wrote:^If done properly with the proper character, it could. WCW used to work well when they would have The Giant face 3-4 people at a time. It made The Giant seem.........well......like a giant.

I so remember when they used to do this gimmick. Most of the time it was on a Saturday morning show. After he knocked the last jobber out, he would pile them up like firewood and then set on them for the pin. It was great.
Stardust Wrote:Jobbers used to fill that need, but it no longer works. A perfect example of the jobber not working in today's wrestling is Rybak. Everytime his match comes on, television ratings ho down. When PPV matches are regularly shown on regular television, the audience will not tolerate matches of no meaning. It used to be an important facet of wrestling, but it no longer fits.
Dusty... could you imagine an entire Raw of nothing but Main/Mid card talent vs. Jobbers.
I like the jobber. Bring them back.

Do you think Marty Jennetty help eliminate the use of the jobber?
Who can forget Al Snow and the "J.O.B. Squad"??? lol
Westside Wrote:I like the jobber. Bring them back.

Do you think Marty Jennetty help eliminate the use of the jobber?

Are you referring to the incident where the Rockers injured a job guy? That could be a valid question, but I would think it just has more to do with today's audience. WCW Nitro, I think, effectively killed the job guys. Up unitl then, Raw was still having "squash" matches, but Nitro tried to raise the bar by filling shows with competitive type matches which forced Raw to do the same thing because given a choice between watching a competitive match or a squash, most wrestling fans will tune into the competitive match.

Another big reason, also, is that effectively working as a job guy is a lost art. Guys like George South, Barry Horowitz, Bob Cook and others were supremly talented professional wrestlers who were used in job matches to make the supposed top talent look good, not just to go in and get their brains beat out by some overmuscled, undertalented failed bodybuilder. Alot of those guys were, actually, better in the ring than the guys they were putting over. Today, guys like the jobbers that Ryback beats up are just random kids thrown into a spot to get treated like pieces of meat and, whether they have any skill or not is irrevelant. These type of matches, of course, lead to people turning the channel. The job guys back in the day, could have competitive matches and the guys on top were so good, that you would actually have job matches, in which, you thought the top guy was going to lose even if the job guy hadn 't won a match in a year. The ability of both men in the match to make you believe that is what kept the viewer interested. Like I said, it is a lost art.

To go a step farther, I think the jobber is still alive and well in the WWE. They have just changed the name from jobber to JTG.
worker1 Wrote:Are you referring to the incident where the Rockers injured a job guy? That could be a valid question, but I would think it just has more to do with today's audience. WCW Nitro, I think, effectively killed the job guys. Up unitl then, Raw was still having "squash" matches, but Nitro tried to raise the bar by filling shows with competitive type matches which forced Raw to do the same thing because given a choice between watching a competitive match or a squash, most wrestling fans will tune into the competitive match.

Another big reason, also, is that effectively working as a job guy is a lost art. Guys like George South, Barry Horowitz, Bob Cook and others were supremly talented professional wrestlers who were used in job matches to make the supposed top talent look good, not just to go in and get their brains beat out by some overmuscled, undertalented failed bodybuilder. Alot of those guys were, actually, better in the ring than the guys they were putting over. Today, guys like the jobbers that Ryback beats up are just random kids thrown into a spot to get treated like pieces of meat and, whether they have any skill or not is irrevelant. These type of matches, of course, lead to people turning the channel. The job guys back in the day, could have competitive matches and the guys on top were so good, that you would actually have job matches, in which, you thought the top guy was going to lose even if the job guy hadn 't won a match in a year. The ability of both men in the match to make you believe that is what kept the viewer interested. Like I said, it is a lost art.

To go a step farther, I think the jobber is still alive and well in the WWE. They have just changed the name from jobber to JTG.

I will have to agree with the bolded section.
Very true about the skill of the old jobber. Some of those guys were supremely talented. They knew what their role was and embraced it.
One of my favorite things about watching mid 80's wrestling on Saturday mornings was the jobber.

The jobber would already be in the ring, no entrance shown or music played, usually played a heel... with a crappy name. May get 1 or 2 moves off in the match. Before the mid-card talent would use his finishing move.

Those were the days.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:One of my favorite things about watching mid 80's wrestling on Saturday mornings was the jobber.

The jobber would already be in the ring, no entrance shown or music played, usually played a heel... with a crappy name. May get 1 or 2 moves off in the match. Before the mid-card talent would use his finishing move.

Those were the days.

The old Jim Crockett promotion was great about that. I remember watching a Ric Flair - George South match that was so good that I remember actually thinking "George South is really going to beat Ric Flair."

One of my favorite ones though was when they introduced Gino Hernandez to the area. I knew who he was because I read all of the magazines and what not, but I remember watching their Saturday night show one evening and watching Brad Armstrong, who had been on a tremendous hot streak come out and get into the ring for his match against the job guy. I recognized the guy as Gino and they finally announced his name and he ended up cheating and beating Armstrong. The announcers put it over that this guy had come out of nowhere and had beating Brad Armstrong. It really got Gino over. Unfortunately, he didn't stay around the area long, but looking back on it, I thought that was a really cool way to introduce someone to the area. WCW did something similar to that for Goldberg's first match against Hugh Morrus, I think and it helped get the ball rolling for him, as well.
worker1 Wrote:The old Jim Crockett promotion was great about that. I remember watching a Ric Flair - George South match that was so good that I remember actually thinking "George South is really going to beat Ric Flair."

One of my favorite ones though was when they introduced Gino Hernandez to the area. I knew who he was because I read all of the magazines and what not, but I remember watching their Saturday night show one evening and watching Brad Armstrong, who had been on a tremendous hot streak come out and get into the ring for his match against the job guy. I recognized the guy as Gino and they finally announced his name and he ended up cheating and beating Armstrong. The announcers put it over that this guy had come out of nowhere and had beating Brad Armstrong. It really got Gino over. Unfortunately, he didn't stay around the area long, but looking back on it, I thought that was a really cool way to introduce someone to the area. Hugh Morrus, I think and it helped get the ball rolling for him, as wellWCW did something similar to that for Goldberg's first match against H.

LOL! I remember watching that match and how I couldn't believe Morris got beat by an unknown.
Did anyone ever defeat more jobbers than goldberg?
The guy won 50 matches against nobodys in less than 10 seconds.

They used jobbers effectively in building goldberg up.