Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 13th Region preseason picks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This was written in April, so there are a few changes in personnel.

Looking ahead to 2013 (players are listed by next year's grade):
1. Whitley County —*The Lady Colonels were likely the region's most improved team in 2012, but the loss to North Laurel in the regional tournament brought the season to a surprisingly quick end. WIth four starters returning, Whitley appears to be in a position to take over the top spot in the region.
Junior Brandi Smith (18.4 points per game last year) and senior Bethany Powers (7.8) give Whitley one of the region's best backcourts. Kandace Craig (7.4), a 6-0 junior, is back at center, and Maria Johnson (6.8), a 5-8 junior, returns at forward. Sophomores Hallie Jones (3.0) and Taylor Dingess (5.4) are the leading candidates to round out the lineup.

2. Clay County — No one in the region will match the Lady Tigers' post tandem of Cheyenne Madden (18.4) and Morgan Chesnut (8.3), both 5-11 seniors, but Clay will have a hard time replacing the leadership of Alisha Mitchell at point guard. Freshman Talaura Mathis (7.7) is one of the region's best shooters, and 5-5 sophomore Ajaycia Cotton (2.2) is a solid defender who will need to improve on the offensive end to take over at point guard. Sara Robinson (3.9), a 5-10 junior, could start if coach James Burchell prefers a big lineup. Junior Erica Allen and sophomore Kelly Allen are candidates if Clay needs a third guard. Freshman Kelly Roberts and sophomore Leslie Roberts, both 5-9 forwards, are also in the mix.

3. Bell County — While Clay is strong inside, the Lady Cats will feature an explosive backcourt featuring sophomores Maci Morris (19.9) and Jessica Sanders (8.4) and junior Morgan Garnett (11.9). Paige Robbins (4.7) and Jamie Boatright, both 5-10 seniors, are the probable starters in the frontcourt. All but Boatright were starters last season, which means experience should be a strength, but the Lady Cats will have to get stronger inside to match up with Clay and Whitley. Freshman Kelli Smith could also be in the mix for a starting job inside.

4. Harlan County — Losing guard Miranda Davenport and forward Kalee Carroll to graduation will be a blow, but the the Lady Bears will still have several weapons with 6-0 senior center Sarah Evans (6.7) returning, along with freshman Brooklyn Massingill (9.3) and junior Kaitlyn Stittums (4.2) in the backcourt.
Senior forward Keisha Mimes (2.6) is a probable starter inside after playing a key reserve role last year. Junior Lauren Lee (2.8) is the most experienced reserve guard returning and will be counted on to replace some of the shooting and athleticism lost when Davenport graduates.. Bella Noe, a 5-8 sophomore, has tremendous potential and could take over Davenport's ball-handling duties at point guard. Senior guards Madison Cornett and Shauntae Lewis will also compete for starting jobs.

5. Corbin — Led by junior guards Miranda WIlson (12.6) and Kayla WIlson (10.6) and 6-1 senior center Holli Disney (4.4), the Lady Hounds should continue their improvement and perhaps challenge the regional favorites.
Sarah Ashley (5.9) , a 5-7 junior, also returns to the lineup at forward. Candidates for the final starting job include senior forward Mallory Wood (2.9), junior guards Lindsey Barton and Brooklyn Ashurst (2.4) and 5-10 sophomore center Meghann Blackburn.

6. South Laurel — Losing Macy Clontz will hurt, but the Lady Cardinals should be improved with three seniors returning — 5-10 center Taylor Arthur (11.8), 5-9 forward Cassandra Johnson (7.0) and 5-9 wing Emily Clonce (4.6). Karlie Parker (4.1) and Bailey Miller (4.6), both 5-6 sophomores, will likely join Clonce in the backcourt.

7. Knox Central — WIth three starters coming back and one of the tallest lineups in the region, the Lady Panthers should remain the team to beat in the 51st District and could join the regional contenders with continued improvement. Jenna Mills (16.6) and Cassie Shippy (7.3), both 5-10 seniors, return in the backcourt. The Central frontline will feature 6-1 junior Tyra McNiel (3.9) and 5-11 junior Megan Carnes (3.5). Justice Lacefield, a 5-6 junior guard, will likely round out the starting lineup. Depth could be an issue with no other players returning who averaged a point a game or more.

8. Harlan — No team in the region was hit harder by graduation with four key players leaving, but the Lady Dragons should remain among the favorites in the All "A" Classic and could challenge Harlan County and Bell County in the 52nd District if the Lady Dragons' veteran guards can carry the offense.
Junior Jourdan Ledford (8.8) is among the region's top shooters and is a solid defender. Senior Kelly Cox (5.7) hit seven 3-pointers in a loss to Harlan County in the district tournament and is back at a wing. Sophomore Torri Mitchell (3.2) will probably take over at point guard, and senior Samantha Henson is a potential starter at forward if she recovers quickly from knee surgery. Junior guard Taylor Cochran will also compete for a starting spot in the backcourt or at forward. Freshmen post players Kaitlin Jenkins and Katie King could also see significant action.

9. Barbourville — The Lady TIgers were the regional All "A" Classic runner-up last season with five sophomores in the starting lineup. A year of experience could help Barbourville overtake Harlan for the top spot in 2013. Returning starters include point guard K.K. Liford (5.0), forwards Kelsey Erslan (12.0) and Kara Erslan (13.9) and guars Amber Mills (8.9) and Brianna Tate (7.2). Juniors Tyra Bunch (3.5) and Taylor Bunch and freshman Cassie Hale (2.3) will also see significant action.

10. North Laurel — A win over Whitley County in the regional tournament was the biggest upset of the season, but the Lady Jaguars will be hit hard by graduation with the loss of three starters and a couple of key reserves. Eddie Mahan will rebuild around freshman guard Kayla Bruner (9.5), senior center Kendyll Ellington (5.3) and senior guard Ashley Wyatt (3.9). Junior guard Megan Bryant (3.8) is also a probable starter, along with 5-9 freshman Makayla Sexton or 5-5 senior Brooke Carpenter (2.1) at forward.

Best of the rest —*Middlesboro, Williamsburg, Jackson County, Pineville, Lynn Camp, Oneida Baptist and Red Bird.
Good list HDE.
Whitley should be the team to beat, but as we seen last year, things happen.
If we ever had a year that we could get to the sweet sixteen its this coming year.
Clay still scares me though, and until we beat them, i wont feel very good.
HDE Wrote:This was written in April, so there are a few changes in personnel.

Looking ahead to 2013 (players are listed by next year's grade):
1. Whitley County —*The Lady Colonels were likely the region's most improved team in 2012, but the loss to North Laurel in the regional tournament brought the season to a surprisingly quick end. WIth four starters returning, Whitley appears to be in a position to take over the top spot in the region.
Junior Brandi Smith (18.4 points per game last year) and senior Bethany Powers (7.8) give Whitley one of the region's best backcourts. Kandace Craig (7.4), a 6-0 junior, is back at center, and Maria Johnson (6.8), a 5-8 junior, returns at forward. Sophomores Hallie Jones (3.0) and Taylor Dingess (5.4) are the leading candidates to round out the lineup.

2. Clay County — No one in the region will match the Lady Tigers' post tandem of Cheyenne Madden (18.4) and Morgan Chesnut (8.3), both 5-11 seniors, but Clay will have a hard time replacing the leadership of Alisha Mitchell at point guard. Freshman Talaura Mathis (7.7) is one of the region's best shooters, and 5-5 sophomore Ajaycia Cotton (2.2) is a solid defender who will need to improve on the offensive end to take over at point guard. Sara Robinson (3.9), a 5-10 junior, could start if coach James Burchell prefers a big lineup. Junior Erica Allen and sophomore Kelly Allen are candidates if Clay needs a third guard. Freshman Kelly Roberts and sophomore Leslie Roberts, both 5-9 forwards, are also in the mix.

3. Bell County — While Clay is strong inside, the Lady Cats will feature an explosive backcourt featuring sophomores Maci Morris (19.9) and Jessica Sanders (8.4) and junior Morgan Garnett (11.9). Paige Robbins (4.7) and Jamie Boatright, both 5-10 seniors, are the probable starters in the frontcourt. All but Boatright were starters last season, which means experience should be a strength, but the Lady Cats will have to get stronger inside to match up with Clay and Whitley. Freshman Kelli Smith could also be in the mix for a starting job inside.

4. Harlan County — Losing guard Miranda Davenport and forward Kalee Carroll to graduation will be a blow, but the the Lady Bears will still have several weapons with 6-0 senior center Sarah Evans (6.7) returning, along with freshman Brooklyn Massingill (9.3) and junior Kaitlyn Stittums (4.2) in the backcourt.
Senior forward Keisha Mimes (2.6) is a probable starter inside after playing a key reserve role last year. Junior Lauren Lee (2.8) is the most experienced reserve guard returning and will be counted on to replace some of the shooting and athleticism lost when Davenport graduates.. Bella Noe, a 5-8 sophomore, has tremendous potential and could take over Davenport's ball-handling duties at point guard. Senior guards Madison Cornett and Shauntae Lewis will also compete for starting jobs.

5. Corbin — Led by junior guards Miranda WIlson (12.6) and Kayla WIlson (10.6) and 6-1 senior center Holli Disney (4.4), the Lady Hounds should continue their improvement and perhaps challenge the regional favorites.
Sarah Ashley (5.9) , a 5-7 junior, also returns to the lineup at forward. Candidates for the final starting job include senior forward Mallory Wood (2.9), junior guards Lindsey Barton and Brooklyn Ashurst (2.4) and 5-10 sophomore center Meghann Blackburn.

6. South Laurel — Losing Macy Clontz will hurt, but the Lady Cardinals should be improved with three seniors returning — 5-10 center Taylor Arthur (11.8), 5-9 forward Cassandra Johnson (7.0) and 5-9 wing Emily Clonce (4.6). Karlie Parker (4.1) and Bailey Miller (4.6), both 5-6 sophomores, will likely join Clonce in the backcourt.

7. Knox Central — WIth three starters coming back and one of the tallest lineups in the region, the Lady Panthers should remain the team to beat in the 51st District and could join the regional contenders with continued improvement. Jenna Mills (16.6) and Cassie Shippy (7.3), both 5-10 seniors, return in the backcourt. The Central frontline will feature 6-1 junior Tyra McNiel (3.9) and 5-11 junior Megan Carnes (3.5). Justice Lacefield, a 5-6 junior guard, will likely round out the starting lineup. Depth could be an issue with no other players returning who averaged a point a game or more.

8. Harlan — No team in the region was hit harder by graduation with four key players leaving, but the Lady Dragons should remain among the favorites in the All "A" Classic and could challenge Harlan County and Bell County in the 52nd District if the Lady Dragons' veteran guards can carry the offense.
Junior Jourdan Ledford (8.8) is among the region's top shooters and is a solid defender. Senior Kelly Cox (5.7) hit seven 3-pointers in a loss to Harlan County in the district tournament and is back at a wing. Sophomore Torri Mitchell (3.2) will probably take over at point guard, and senior Samantha Henson is a potential starter at forward if she recovers quickly from knee surgery. Junior guard Taylor Cochran will also compete for a starting spot in the backcourt or at forward. Freshmen post players Kaitlin Jenkins and Katie King could also see significant action.

9. Barbourville — The Lady TIgers were the regional All "A" Classic runner-up last season with five sophomores in the starting lineup. A year of experience could help Barbourville overtake Harlan for the top spot in 2013. Returning starters include point guard K.K. Liford (5.0), forwards Kelsey Erslan (12.0) and Kara Erslan (13.9) and guars Amber Mills (8.9) and Brianna Tate (7.2). Juniors Tyra Bunch (3.5) and Taylor Bunch and freshman Cassie Hale (2.3) will also see significant action.

10. North Laurel — A win over Whitley County in the regional tournament was the biggest upset of the season, but the Lady Jaguars will be hit hard by graduation with the loss of three starters and a couple of key reserves. Eddie Mahan will rebuild around freshman guard Kayla Bruner (9.5), senior center Kendyll Ellington (5.3) and senior guard Ashley Wyatt (3.9). Junior guard Megan Bryant (3.8) is also a probable starter, along with 5-9 freshman Makayla Sexton or 5-5 senior Brooke Carpenter (2.1) at forward.

Best of the rest —*Middlesboro, Williamsburg, Jackson County, Pineville, Lynn Camp, Oneida Baptist and Red Bird.

I have to put Corbin over Harlan County.
1Clay until someone beats them.
2Whitley the most talent.
3Bell,Corbin,Harlan Co, These three teams could play ten times and they would have the same record.
6South Laurel
7North Laurel
8Barbourville They win the district and the all A region for the first time.
9Knox Central
10 Middlesboro
Cassi Hale is now at KC. The District Title game should be a good one as it was last year. Both teams have a pretty solid starting lineup, but then that is what makes it interesting. Neither team has a bench to speak of. KC will be looking at some talented Fr. to come in and get quality minutes. Barbourville will be in the same boat. Staying out of foul trouble will be the key for either team to win.
I can't believe you all haven't listed Harlan Ind. in the top ten as they beat Harlan Co., Bell, Barbourville three times, Middlesboro, North Laurel, and Knox Central last year?? Just because they lost Mullins doesn't mean they are doomed. They still have some talented players left and some talent coming up.
If you can play inside in girls basketball, you're almost unbeatable and Clay County has a lot of it. Until you play the quick Louisville teams or those types. Trust me, we know. Lady Tigers get the region.
I agree that inside play in girls basketball in this area is usually so weak that if you have one good post you usually can do damage. Clay has 3 good posts with one of which being the best in the region IMO. I do think that it will be a much tougher road this time, as you have to have someone to get them the ball. Clay has a tremendous shooter (Mathis Freshman) and quick pg (Jaycee C. Freshmen) but neither can get the ball to the post like Mitchell did last year. I think we all know it is between them and Whitley but I think that Clay may actually lose a game or two in the 13th this season. WOW.. that tells you what kind of run they have had the last few years when losing a game or two in the region is a big deal. I think Whitley has the better guards so it will be a struggle of styles. IF they are not screwed up this year I am going out on a limb and saying Whitley in the end. Wouldn't bet the farm on it though!:popcorn:

Should be fun to watch some competition for a change.
^
Whitley should, but i have to see it before i believe it.
1. Clay Co.
2. Whitley Co.
3. Harlan Co.
4. Bell Co.
5. Corbin
Go Jackets!
Cant wait for another round of HC this year.
Worked out well last year...
Agreed, Clay's guard play will be the worst it has been in 6 or 7 years. Which is the last time they didn't dominate the region. People forget, but I would like to know the number on consecutive games they won before South pulled the upset in the region championship in 2008. They went to state two years in a row before that. They could be looking at roughly 7 years with 1-3 losses. Amazing.
I watched Clay this year and would like to know what kind of guards that you think Clay Co. needs? Mathis hit 8 three's in the district final against North Laurel. She then scored 10 of Clay's 13 fourth quarter points in the regional final in a 4 point win at the arena. She did this as an eighth grader. lol She had made over 100 threes at Clay and someone said that the career record for Clay Co. threes is somewhere around 160. She made her 100 while still in the middle school. lol Clay must have had some really great guards for them to be down this year. Cotton is finally gonna get her chance to shine this year as Mathis' running mate. You can't teach quickness. Confidence and poise are probably what she needs most. The region will definately be tough though.
I know what kind of players Clay County has. Just trust me on that. Hitting 3's against mountain schools isn't beating state championship type teams anytime soon. Which is why we have become complacent with just making it to Bowling Green every year. If you think their guards are better now than they were with Smith and Mitchell as a junior or back with Skooly, you're fooling yourself. Freshman and sophomores aren't cutting it "right now", maybe in the future.
until someone beats Clay they will always be on top
Clay has had several great runs but they haven't always been on top.
Jackson County had a run and so did Rockcastle County. Harlan won twice in the 90s and Cumberland won twice in the 80s.
Did Cumberland win a 13th region or Class A 13th region in the 90's?
Cumberland won two All A state titles in the 90s (91 and 92). They won several regional All A titles.
The regular regional championships were in 84 and 86.
kwildatdude Wrote:I watched Clay this year and would like to know what kind of guards that you think Clay Co. needs? Mathis hit 8 three's in the district final against North Laurel. She then scored 10 of Clay's 13 fourth quarter points in the regional final in a 4 point win at the arena. She did this as an eighth grader. lol She had made over 100 threes at Clay and someone said that the career record for Clay Co. threes is somewhere around 160. She made her 100 while still in the middle school. lol Clay must have had some really great guards for them to be down this year. Cotton is finally gonna get her chance to shine this year as Mathis' running mate. You can't teach quickness. Confidence and poise are probably what she needs most. The region will definately be tough though.

Mathis is a great shooter and Cotton handles the ball pretty well, but my guess is losing Mitchell will hurt. I saw Clay this summer and Cotton handled the ball about 90 percent of the time. Their depth isn't what it usually is.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
HDE Wrote:Mathis is a great shooter and Cotton handles the ball pretty well, but my guess is losing Mitchell will hurt. I saw Clay this summer and Cotton handled the ball about 90 percent of the time. Their depth isn't what it usually is.

They lost more games to 13th region teams this summer than they have lost the last 10 years combined.
^
How did the 13th region teams fare against others from the 13th?
I havent seen any of the games...
i didn't see whitley play, but i heard they beat clay.Knox looked terriblebut Mills was gone on some type of Scholarship program, don't believe she play a game all summer.Bell,Corbin and Harlan CO. played each other several times with each team winnig a least once.Also Corbin beat Clay.Barbourville didn't lose a player from last and they play real hard for ther coach. I saw North and South they both lost the day i saw them to I believe Bell and Corbin .I also saw Lynn Camp/Williamsburg and Pineville about the same as last year. When I tell people I see a least 100 games a year most don't believe me but after thinking about the games i watch this summer I'm already past 50.
I wouldn't make many judgements on what happens in summer ball. Most teams are short handed and the intensity is not the same as regular season.
BLT FAN Wrote:I wouldn't make many judgements on what happens in summer ball. Most teams are short handed and the intensity is not the same as regular season.

Look at post 4 I picked Clay to win it all, but i believe the top 5 are closer than they have been in along time. I've watch summer ball boy and girls for at least the last 10 years and your right about intensity. But girls seem to play closer to regular season than boys. IMO
insideinfo Wrote:Look at post 4 I picked Clay to win it all, but i believe the top 5 are closer than they have been in along time. I've watch summer ball boy and girls for at least the last 10 years and your right about intensity. But girls seem to play closer to regular season than boys. IMO
I agree. This is the strongest the region has been overall in some time.
insideinfo Wrote:i didn't see whitley play, but i heard they beat clay.Knox looked terriblebut Mills was gone on some type of Scholarship program, don't believe she play a game all summer.Bell,Corbin and Harlan CO. played each other several times with each team winnig a least once.Also Corbin beat Clay.Barbourville didn't lose a player from last and they play real hard for ther coach. I saw North and South they both lost the day i saw them to I believe Bell and Corbin .I also saw Lynn Camp/Williamsburg and Pineville about the same as last year. When I tell people I see a least 100 games a year most don't believe me but after thinking about the games i watch this summer I'm already past 50.

Thanks. Good info.
I can't help but think Whitley County will win this region.
BLT FAN Wrote:I agree. This is the strongest the region has been overall in some time.

I think it's the closest it has been in a while with four or five teams in the mix, but I don't think the region is very strong. I doubt anyone would be in the top 30 or 40 in the state.
Pages: 1 2 3